Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

5 posters

New awning for our Dandy 6

neilwragg
    neilwragg

New awning for our Dandy 6 Empty New awning for our Dandy 6

Post by neilwragg Tue 11 Mar 2014, 2:18 pm

Sent off my awning to TVS [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to see if the twenty year old material full of rot and mildew was worth salvaging!
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    Graham from TVS called back and said that the girl who unpacked the awning when they received it from me had quite a shock when she saw it....

She had made it herself over twenty years ago!

However, it was too far gone to be repaired so I got them to make me a new one, the same girl (er, lady) made an excellent job with modern materials and a perfect match.
    Before the awning went up under blue skies at the Rivendale Campsite in the Peak District this weekend
    and then setting up the wood stove.  I got TVS to make the front removable and the sides to roll up leaving just a canopy in nice weather
    or fully zipped up for warmth
    the side entrance was easiest this weekend

Also, tried to address the condensation on the inside of the batwings.  If everything is shut up, there are bodies inside breathing in & out and it's raining outside I don't see that you can eliminate condensation so hanging material which will get wet isn't desirable nor is waterproof material like plastic as that will simply have condensation on it too.

So I got some mesh netting which hangs off velcro that I have riveted to the batwing poles.  That will allow the moist air to travel through it creating a dry barrier in the bedrooms, so if it is brushed against you dont get wet.  It doesnt rot so can still be packed away with the Dandy
    I would say it worked, but there wasn't much condensation this weekend anyway!

The next test will be Easter, it's bound to rain then.
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

New awning for our Dandy 6 Empty Re: New awning for our Dandy 6

Post by Phoenix Tue 11 Mar 2014, 8:21 pm

That awning looks great.  New awning for our Dandy 6 184121345 
    Bet you are pleased with it.
    It matches your 6 really well, we like how you can open the sides or the front up.
    navver

Post by navver Tue 11 Mar 2014, 9:10 pm

That looks fab, dare we ask how much it cost. I keep toying with the idea of having sides added to our sun canopy.

When you roll the sides up or remove the front, is there an easy way of detaching it from the pegs without having to keep repegging. I always seem to end up with the pegs deep in the ground to stretch the elastics enough?

On the condensation front, I have a theory that the mattresses etc absorb a lot of moisture over winter which then comes out under them and into the air in the dandy. The condensation seems to be worst at the beginning of the season and that may explain it. I don't think it can be eliminated but maybe can be reduced by bringing the mattresses indoors in the warm, a week or so before using them early in the season.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 11 Mar 2014, 11:15 pm

It looks absolutely great, I wouldn't mind something like that as we're finding the pvc a bit too heavy to lift with our health issues. I may have them add zips to ours to make it easier for us.
    fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard Wed 12 Mar 2014, 9:10 am

The reason i sold my Dandy was because of the weight of the awning, and the time it took to set up and pack away on my own.
    Looks like you have a great solution there. Pete  Smile 
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 12 Mar 2014, 12:07 pm

sounds like you still have the bug Pete ........ the Dandy bug  Twisted Evil 
    fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard Wed 12 Mar 2014, 1:21 pm

Yes you don't realize how well made the Dandys are until you buy something else Helen, and if i can find an old dandy in need of renovation i will buy it, but as i have the combi-camp now, it would have to be cheap. Pete  Smile 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 02 May 2024, 8:04 pm