Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Car Without Listed Maximum Train Weight.

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Car Without Listed Maximum Train Weight. Empty Car Without Listed Maximum Train Weight.

Post by Tow Itch Tue 09 Aug 2011, 5:39 pm

New cars have Maximum Train Weight assigned by the manufacturer.
    This is not so for older vehicles.
    Ever wondered about the relationship between Maximum Authorised Mass' predecessor Gross Vehicle Weight and the weight towed.

I can't explain how the authorities mix and match the terms weight and mass when they are two very different things but this may help for vehicle related issues.

Tow Itch wrote: Billy

As you have constructed trailers you may well have known this already but if not:

Dear ........

Thank you for your query.

Your query ID 1058 has now been closed.

Please see the notes below.

Friday, July 22, 2011 11:47:07 AM by iaing
    Kevin. with modern vehicles it is usually easy to establish the various weights and limits as the manufacturers are obliged to publish them to ensure that no-one overloads their combination. With older vehicles this is not the case and unless a car maker took it upon themselves to make such limits available to the user there may not be a published limit such as a trailer towing limit or noseweight limit for the towbar.

For many years now there has been a standardised format on the VIN plate where the gross vehicle mass is first, gross train mass is second and the axle limits are the third and forth. If you deduct line one from line two you will have the vehicle's towing limit. As train mass is the combined weights of the loaded car and trailer once coupled up. The noseweight is part of the load on the car and is not counted as part of the trailer, it is the axle weight that counts.

I have attached a datasheet you may find helpful. Iain.

Kind regards,

Iain Geddes
    Technical department.

techtalk

Now there should have been a nice logo showing that the message came from the camping and caravaning club.
    So if my reading of this is correct if you have a Gross Train Mass you work off that, if not.
    Then if not all you subtract from the Gross Vehicle Weight for the trailer is the noseweight.
    So if it's a fully loaded (500Kg) Dandy. Then with a noseweight of 35Kg (7% of load) all your subtracting for the Dandy is 35Kg.
    Get the Diesel engine out Billy.
    Mines a pint if you get to Astle Park.

Oh there was nothing worth wile in the factsheet. In fact must send them a note they had the old width limit shown.

Kevin.

Tow Itch wrote: Billy

Final I's Dotted And T's Crossed

Dear xxxx,

Thank you for your query.

Your query ID xxxx has now been closed.

Please see the notes below.

Tuesday, August 09, 2011 3:35:27 PM by iaing
    Kevin, you are indeed correct, since April last year the maximum width for a trailer on a car has been 2.55 meters. That datasheet has not been amended since 2009 and is therefore incorrect in this matter stating 2.3 meters.
    I have set the wheels in motion to have this corrected and this should happen with the next few days (I have already submitted the change document - it is now down to the system).
    Thank you for taking the time to raise this matter with us.

Regarding the weight, from a prosecution perspective it is the axles that are weighed and the noseweight (though part of the total trailer mass) applies its load to the rear axle of the towing vehicle - as long as non of the axles are overloaded, nor the train mass exceeded and the driver's licence permits the weight then they will be legal.

Iain.

Kind regards,

Iain Geddes
    Technical department.

techtalk

Tel: 02476 475282
    Fax: 02476 475413

Kevin.

The above are two questions asked to The Camping And Caravaning Club so if the information was any use it's them you need to thank.

Kevin.

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 6:21 pm