Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+6
mike
vickoir
Tow Itch
Eilis
Helen
tartanterror
10 posters

hello everyone

tartanterror

hello everyone Empty hello everyone

Post by tartanterror Mon 10 Oct 2011, 7:59 pm

Hi everyone im currently on the lookout for my first dandy and have stumbled on to your forum so any advice would be welcome .Its going to be used by myself and three daughters all under ten.Thanks Scott hello everyone 143088812
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

hello everyone Empty Re: hello everyone

Post by Helen Mon 10 Oct 2011, 8:04 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum,

for advice on models and sizes just click the link

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

advice on buying a dandy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hope this information helps you to decide and find a suitable Dandy, if you need to ask any questions don't hesitate.

hello everyone 2716414575
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis Mon 10 Oct 2011, 8:18 pm

we also have a thread where members put links to dandys they see for sale so keep looking on there and hopefully you'll spot your dandy quickly Smile
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 10 Oct 2011, 10:48 pm

Hello tartanterror

Well would tend to think a 6 might be your preferred type but if you give us more details on proposed budget, desired age how much work your willing to carry out etc.
    We then get to search better on your behalf.
    If you want a high bodied Destiny for less than £500 we might be waiting for a while.

Kevin.
    tartanterror

hello everyone Empty reply

Post by tartanterror Mon 10 Oct 2011, 11:14 pm

My budget is around the £1500 mark as for year and model i dont know what that will buy me scratch
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Tue 11 Oct 2011, 12:17 am

I would say it depends on what you want. Any Dandy up to and including the light blue winterised ones. It is even possible that a high side Destiny might come up. BUT NOT THIS ONE [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    or at least till you got a more complete story from Mike.
    vickoir
    vickoir
    Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir Tue 11 Oct 2011, 7:30 am

good luck scott 1500 should get you a nice tidy unit and hello everyone 1217042266 hello everyone 1066248140
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:44 am

I would say go for one that you will be able to erect on your own. Your girls may be able to help a bit but the larger Destinys would probably prove difficult.

You could always upgrade as the girls grow and need more space. If it was me I would be thinking of a winterised Designer with awning but I would also buy a second hand lightweight awning so the girls could help put it up, there is plenty of sleeping space and during the day you could remove the table to give more floor space.

The Dandy awning will help to sell it should you upgrade and if you find you are happy with the designer then you could always put a bedroom in one of the Movelight awnings until the girls are big enough to help with the Dandy awning.
    tartanterror

Post by tartanterror Tue 11 Oct 2011, 10:33 am

Thanks Helen that sounds like common sense and i think i shall go along those lines.We currently have a little pennine aztec but have found it alittle cramped and as the weather gets colder it doesnt hold heat,so a winterised model makes sense.Ive started my search ive posted in gumtree and watching ebay but there doesnt seem to be alot around.Thanks again Scott
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 11 Oct 2011, 11:18 am

We did look at an Aztec before we bought our Dandy and it was a little cramped, the reason I suggested the designer was because the table can be taken out and this gives a feeling of space. My daughter has a discovery and although it is the same size we have found that our designer is where we all end up as the space is more adaptable. You can still make up a bed using the table at nights so all three girls could sleep on one side and you on the settee side, you could then use a modesty curtain if you wanted to. Yes there are advantages to the bigger Dandy's but with three small girls it's best to get something you can manage as I am sure they will be off running around investigating whilst you're left alone to put it all up. lol!

£1500 will get you a lovely designer and you may even have change depending on the age and condition of the unit. Don't be put off by age as the older ones were a great build quality but do make sure that for the money you are spending that it is fully insulated and has an awning.

I will keep an eye out for one as I am sure other members will too, it may be that you have to wait until spring now but you never know and it really is worth waiting for something that is suitable. Very Happy
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Tue 11 Oct 2011, 2:54 pm

Welcome Scott it looks like you already have some good advice from Helen,as Kevin said the dandy 6 would be better for space but erecting it could be tricky with your eldest helper being 10,difficult to say only you would know after seeing a 6 being erected,my wife says i have the mental age of a 10 year old and we do it lol!,the erecting principle is the same but the walls are larger and heavier on the 6,so long as the girls are happy sharing a bed then the designer or discovery which is very similar but the two side seats with a table that make a bed in the designer are a fixed bed in the discovery should do you.

mike
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:02 pm

Just a thought but we are having a Christmas meet in Peterborough, there will be several types of units including a 6 and designer or two, you could always pop over if its not too far from you to take a look and see what you think. Very Happy
    tartanterror

Post by tartanterror Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:15 pm

Ive seen a dandy designer on ebay tonight but it doesnt have a dandy awning,i now you said i should be looking for the complete package but this ones winterised,the only downside is its about a five hour drive from mine Laughing Laughing
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:18 pm

Dandy Awnings are like hens teeth and you would find it could be years before you find one, on the other hand if the price is right and if you don't mind having a none Dandy awning and as it is the end of season you may get a real bargain.

What area is it in
    tartanterror

Post by tartanterror Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:21 pm

Southport Merseyside
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:35 pm

It is very early 90's looking at the cupboards, it looks nice enough but a Dandy Awning would make it worth the money. The lightweight awning would suit you with your girls. If you are considering then it may be worth going to view it with pound notes in pocket to see if a mutual agreement could be reached or possibly message the seller to see if you can tempt them with an offer before you consider driving.
    tartanterror

Post by tartanterror Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:48 pm

Thanks Helen im maybe better waiting for something better comeing along but their doesnt seem to many about
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 11 Oct 2011, 10:01 pm

That one is the same as mine affraid and the build quality is excellent having an underfloor heater is a big bonus, all I was trying to say is that you could get it a bit cheaper because of the none Dandy awning.you wouldn't be using a dandy awning for a long time anyway due to needing more help than your girls will be able to give with it. lol!

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 11 Oct 2011, 10:11 pm

It also has new floor covering rather than the old blue carpet I have Crying or Very sad
    vicki did make me a lovely removable carpet to cover my old one though Very Happy
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Tue 11 Oct 2011, 11:16 pm

Ah the miracle of ebay listings changing items.
    First saw it on a dealers listing where a Dandy became a motorcaravan.

"GO BACK TO THE DANDY DESTINY I TOLD YOU NOT TO TOUCH. NOW CLICK ON IT AGAIN. SEE WHAT IT HAS MIRACULOUSLY BECOME.

This is no trick on my part look at the Dodgy Dandy Does Different Domiciles piece and look at the name of the vendor.

Why don't you ask if you can view in Uxbridge or Bournemouth where the last one was sold from.
    His last ad not the one originally featured said he wanted to downsize to a Dart, but I would put money on it being stated as a Designer at some point.
    Sorry if you look at the Dodgy Dandy piece I didn't leave enough space when I copied them but if you highlight and copy you can still pick up the original adverts.

Kevin.
    Well no actually you can't pick up the original ads you can only pick up what they later became. Or more pointedly what the second ebay advert became.

Last edited by Tow Itch on Tue 11 Oct 2011, 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Post Script and speiling ewor)
    tartanterror

Post by tartanterror Tue 11 Oct 2011, 11:32 pm

Thanks for that ,theres some dodgy people out there
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 12 Oct 2011, 9:45 am

Looks like you wont be buying that one then Shocked

Make sure you can view any Dandy your interested in before parting with any cash. I will keep an eye out for a Designer or Discovery and if any do come up in our area we would be happy to go and view it on your behalf.
    tartanterror

Post by tartanterror Wed 12 Oct 2011, 9:55 am

Thanks Helen i hope something comes up before spring as winter camping looks great Very Happy
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Wed 12 Oct 2011, 12:33 pm

tartanterror wrote:Thanks Helen i hope something comes up before spring as winter camping looks great Very Happy

Dear Mr T Terror

Before spring is a good time frame. Instant gratification is expensive.
    Having three kids must limit spare time but what I was going to suggest to you is, instead of looking at Dandies that you want why not look at ones you don't want!
    Sounds odd but you get to look for faults, you become more comfortable with what your looking at, if you look at different types you might decide you want something different and finally you might decide you don't want a Dandy after all.
    There is a Delta 4' 10" rather than Designer 5' 10" In Glasgow [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Yes I do realise it's a 150 mile round trip so why not look at
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] on the way.
    The first is too small for you and the second is a six so you can get to see if you could put one up. You get to contrast the comparative differences in erecting. If the six is of an age where the gas struts don't help with the sides then factor that in, you would be looking at a younger one.
    B.T.W. Hopefully you have read the guides and seen the videos about erecting, if anyone where you look isn't using the four bits of string and is instead getting a hernia trying to lift the roof. Well you get to laugh about it here and have a go the proper way rather than "sympathising" that it looks like hard work if your buying.
    Have you looked at the Dandys for sale topic? Both of those above were featured.
    One that might be suitable that was listed is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Placed in the wrong section on Preloved, winterised, original awning just no heater...So it's hook up sites in winter.
    If it's still available but your worried about the long drive and expense the vendor might be open on the price, but ask all your questions first no matter what the price it's expensive if you don't end up buying.
    Hold out for what you want though, lots come up. I didn't add to the list a brown winterised 5 that I was thinking of looking at, unfortunately it's just disappeared. I think I have got greedy and am hoping for a cheap winterised 5 in blue with awning and heater over winter, will probably end up seeing everyone in the Green Un next year.
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Wed 12 Oct 2011, 8:58 pm

Hello, hello everyone 1217042266 to the forum. I've just reading through the thread, you've got some great advice there, I can't really add anything else apart from good luck in your search. Your help in your first post made me smile. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 17 May 2024, 12:50 pm