Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+3
slipstream
mike
Helen
7 posters

Electronic Readers

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Electronic Readers Empty Electronic Readers

Post by Helen Sat 24 Dec 2011, 10:02 am

I like to read and plan to get something in the sales but what is the best thing to get. I use the internet and wonder if an ipad would be good or do I just get a Kindle.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Electronic Readers Empty Re: Electronic Readers

Post by mike Sat 24 Dec 2011, 12:29 pm

A reader is the best for reading but my tablet has contrast controls so can be made quiet good,and of course with the ipad you can do your surfing.

slipstream
    slipstream

Electronic Readers Empty anything BUT Kindle...

Post by slipstream Mon 26 Dec 2011, 12:25 am

Please beware of buying a KINDLE without first doing a bit of research!

The Kindle is sold by AMAZON & is tied down to its' own file structure, which means you have to buy books from Amazon. This is called AZW or Mobipocket.

The Ereader international standard file system is known as EPub. There are over 2.5 million FREE books on EPub! There are many sites where you can legally download books without paying for them using this format. Examples are Tesco, Gutenburg Project, Waterstones etc.

EReaders such as Bookeen, Sony readers, Kobo, as well as others, all use EPub.

At the end of the day you pays your money & takes your choice, but don't be swayed by the heavy media advertising Kindle use.

Hope this helps & doesn't "muddy the waters".

I use an ereader and find the machines great.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Mon 26 Dec 2011, 6:55 am

slipstream wrote:Please beware of buying a KINDLE without first doing a bit of research!

The Kindle is sold by AMAZON & is tied down to its' own file structure, which means you have to buy books from Amazon. This is called AZW or Mobipocket.

The Ereader international standard file system is known as EPub. There are over 2.5 million FREE books on EPub! There are many sites where you can legally download books without paying for them using this format. Examples are Tesco, Gutenburg Project, Waterstones etc.

At the end of the day you pays your money & takes your choice, but don't be swayed by the heavy media advertising Kindle use.

Makes a lot of sense ime not a serious reader but there are loads of free books even for my archos,just downloaded a favourite from my childhood to re read and it was free "White Fang"
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Mon 26 Dec 2011, 9:06 am

Thanks slipstream, I did wonder about the cost of books and noticed that some stores are selling E Readers and not Kindles .......... there are so many it's daunting but the information you have given has enlightened me somewhat. I just want to read without having the hundreds of books stuck in a cupboard or having to go out and find a good book so will send John today to have a look. Electronic Readers 115684958
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Mon 26 Dec 2011, 9:14 am

slipstream wrote:Please beware of buying a KINDLE without first doing a bit of research!

That's useful to know, I know someone who's looking at a Kindle, I will pass that info on, unless they got one for Christmas of course. santa
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Mon 26 Dec 2011, 9:33 am

Found a Kobo online with Epub so John is off to get one from Asda. It's far easier to ask and get information from people who know than try to research them all. Electronic Readers 184121345
    slipstream
    slipstream

Electronic Readers Empty Glad to be of some help...

Post by slipstream Mon 26 Dec 2011, 10:32 am

I'm glad my attempt at explaining file types was of use! I did wonder if it would confuse more than inform.

For reference, I use a Bookeen Cybook Opus which I obtained from Waterstones for £50.00 when they were having a clearout.

My wife uses a Sony PSR 600 (proper posh!) which was from Waterstones for £55.00, as a reconditioned item.

My motto is "It is vain to do with more, what can be done with less".

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year to All , "Nadolig Llawen a Flwyddyn Newydd Dda i bawb". Electronic Readers 3965789718
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Mon 26 Dec 2011, 10:56 am

Bugger they had none in store but the good news is I have ordered direct and it will be delivered in 2-4 working days cheers The bad news is I also looked at the sale too so it will be arriving with lots of other nice things lol!
    The Admiral
    The Admiral

Post by The Admiral Tue 27 Dec 2011, 7:04 pm

I have had a Kindle for about 14-15 months and loved it. However it has recently died on me as it was outside the guarantee period Amazon offered to send me a 'new' one for £50 after a deal of soul searching I decided to go for an iPad instead which I was going to get anyway I just made the purchase a little earlier than planned.
    Definitely the right decision as not only can I read books on it in various formats but it does so much else as well! I would recommend whole heartedly that people go for ebooks in whatever format they choose as it does solve the problem of what to do with it when you've finished reading it and I also download my newspaper everyday, cheaper than the real thing and much easier to read on the train.
    Hope you enjoy yours Helen when it arrives, (along with the other goodies as well)!
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 27 Dec 2011, 7:11 pm

I can't wait now Jayne, I can than give my books away and make some space cheers
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 29 Dec 2011, 6:07 pm

My Kobo e-reader has arrived and I'm loving it, loads of free books and it's lightweight ........ so much easier than faffing around with paper books. Electronic Readers 1049241286
    beverley1232010
    beverley1232010

Post by beverley1232010 Thu 29 Dec 2011, 7:36 pm

hi, I have a sony e reader, i have had it over a year and get on really well with it, i am registered at waterstones and download the books and they transfer to the reader, (i plug the e reader in while i am browsing, so its charging up, then the book goes straight to the reader once i download)
    its not a touch screen one, but i find it brill to read in bed its much easier than holding a book.

Bev
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 29 Dec 2011, 9:33 pm

I am finding it amazing, I go online find the books I like and then click the sync thing and hey presto there they are on my Kobo cheers I don't lose my page and I can lie flat without the pages flopping and getting arm ache and if I misplace my glasses (usual mishap) I can just make the writing bigger Electronic Readers 2792229418 I am easily amused and impressed Electronic Readers 2197500976

They are fantastic and I am very pleased I bought one now.
    beverley1232010
    beverley1232010

Post by beverley1232010 Thu 29 Dec 2011, 9:40 pm

had not heard of the kobo, but saw one in wh smith today.
    I think so long as you get one where its easy to download the books and is easy to use, you cant go wrong,
    of all the gadgets i have bought over the years, (and there have been many) the e reader is the one i use the most,

Bev
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis Fri 30 Dec 2011, 1:42 am

i bought a kindle recently and have already read 3 books on it, it's great and much easier to handle than a book and i thought i would never go electronic as i love the smell of books so much but i'm def sold

i bought the one with 3G and can get teh books downloaded onto it in a moment

it's much smaller and lighter than carrying a book around too, def my buy of the year

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 20 May 2024, 12:34 am