Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+2
mike
Caz1960
6 posters

another chapter

Caz1960
    Caz1960

another chapter Empty another chapter

Post by Caz1960 Thu 01 Mar 2012, 7:08 pm

another chapter 3517506835 another chapter 3517506835 Sunday is the day that I pick up another Dandy thanks to Vessey44 . mapped out the journey 265miles to get there and noticed the weather report wind and rain but hey who cares it will be a happy day to cant wait a baby sister for my 6 , but after she comes here I have to get the 6 fit and ready for France but to be truthful I would be pottering between the two oooh how exciting dont worry vessey44 she will be very well loved pampered and will be used to her max another chapter 3517506835 another chapter 3517506835 another chapter 3517506835
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

another chapter Empty Re: another chapter

Post by Caz1960 Fri 02 Mar 2012, 3:41 pm

another chapter 3180756863 the days are dragging thought that it was sat today but no its Fri another day to go another chapter 9639063
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Fri 02 Mar 2012, 3:49 pm

Cheap green one on ebay you need that dont you lol!
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Fri 02 Mar 2012, 7:33 pm

I know that's a hard one but no awning lol! Did think about it Tour de France , Green dandy ? scratch
    Got it on my watch list another chapter 344726530
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Sat 03 Mar 2012, 6:38 pm

affraid affraid can the weather get any worse but dont care still going to battle through and pick up baby girl another chapter 3517506835 another chapter 3517506835
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sat 03 Mar 2012, 6:58 pm

Have a safe journey Very Happy
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Sat 03 Mar 2012, 7:11 pm

thanks the weather report we see is high winds, heavy rain and snow so packed for all occasions and if stuck on the way back we will be camping in her another chapter 1705467399
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 04 Mar 2012, 9:33 am

Have a safe journey, no snow here at the moment keeping our fingers crossed that it holds off for your journey. Smile
    vessey44
    vessey44

Post by vessey44 Sun 04 Mar 2012, 8:01 pm

Are you home safetly? Good meeting you today...
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Mon 05 Mar 2012, 1:03 am

another chapter 2702329197 another chapter 2702329197 it was great to meet you and putting a face to the name thank you we finally got back at 10 through some blizzards but got blinded with sunshine coming back to Wales she towed like a dream and had to remind Tony to remember she was there another chapter 1705467399 she is now in my back garden tucked up till the weather gets better. Just like to say thank you for your help and enjoy your dandy another chapter 2702329197 another chapter 2702329197
    vessey44
    vessey44

Post by vessey44 Mon 05 Mar 2012, 3:54 pm

Caz,

Just PM your full address over please as i forgot to give you the keys for your new Dandy...Ill get them sent in the post straight away Very Happy
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Mon 05 Mar 2012, 5:51 pm

got back safely and had her open today did some detective work and spotted that the kitchen/sink unit is not a dandy one the tap is fixed and sits high so that is the culprit that broke the window , so window out now and waiting to be picked up , so pleased as I managed to put her up myself and down myself and tacking sink unit out or redo the tap to protect new window flower
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Mon 05 Mar 2012, 9:32 pm

flower flower OK I have a question as we have seen recently Dandy's neglected, stripped for parts , in bad shape , or customised ( pink trailer) PVC change.. now my question is do you restore to as original as poss or total customisation ? I know it is a personal preference but will our old girls become rare vintage Dandy's.... flower flower
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Mon 05 Mar 2012, 9:45 pm

It's inevitable that something that is no longer being made will one day become a rarity as more and more end up stripped or scrapped, some people prefer original. I think go for it do what you like, it's yours and is for your pleasure and if painting or reupholstering it what ever colour or pattern you wish enhances your enjoyment of it why not. flower

I think the ones that haven't cost the earth and perhaps need tidying up a bit are perfect candidates for a makeover. affraid

If you plan on selling it someone will probably like what you do with it and prefer the originality but you may get less people willing to buy than if you keep the outside of the Dandy original.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 05 Mar 2012, 10:14 pm

I'd say you do what you like. A job like Phoenix's will always be admired and generally a restoration will sell for more than a customisation.
    Your not looking to sell next week though, so what the hell do what your comfortable with and suits you.
    I do note that when your six was for sale the the stickers on the side were shown (I'm thinking was it your 6 I can remember or was it another with stickers) but the major bed illustrations weren't.
    I might be upset if all the old Dandys disappeared but in the end it's wood steel and PVC, the pleasure and the future memories are its real value.
    That said I didn't think I could be bothered to re side my Green Un but that's what I'm looking to do now.
    vessey44
    vessey44

Post by vessey44 Mon 05 Mar 2012, 10:21 pm

With custom ones & rebuilds the jobs are never quite complete and if your like me a minor job soon turns into a full resto
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Mon 05 Mar 2012, 11:07 pm

Very Happy yes Tow Itch my six has got the flower stickers on it and all origional inside but I am now in a lucky position to do both if I stop there another chapter 1705467399 the pink trailer gave me a brill idea but in Blue and thought to change the PVC ... must admit for me both and yes I love originals its nice to see them keep on going ( like me another chapter 3462454224 ) but im crazy for shock stun and amaze I hope vessey you just keep reminding me to keep my feet on the ground but to be honest i would not be going to tech it will be more cosmetic flower
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 06 Mar 2012, 7:59 am

Don't ask me why because I haven't got a clue but I like to see the very old ones restored originally, the little orange one my Dad has is going to be and if it was a green one it would be too. Perhaps it's the fact that they're still going after all these years and have survived in their original state that makes me feel they deserve some respect. I wouldn't hesitate with my daughters brown and white one though, it's had a bit done to it before she bought it the inside has been painted by the previous owners already and I would happily customise it. Very Happy
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Tue 06 Mar 2012, 11:03 am

Although i dont like to see make overs i prefer original at the end of the day its your dandy do what you want and enjoy it,the more people that paint them pink the more mine will be worth lol! just joking the pink one with flowers on was saved from the scrap yard so that has to be a plus and to be honest if it was the last dandy standing some one with the restoration bug could return to original anyway,i have in my mind plans for a six with major modifications and if time and money ever permit i will do it,i can assure you it wouldn't come under restoration affraid
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Tue 06 Mar 2012, 12:27 pm

Caz1960 wrote: Very Happy yes Tow Itch my six has got the flower stickers on it and all origional inside but I am now in a lucky position to do both if I stop there another chapter 1705467399 the pink trailer gave me a brill idea but in Blue and thought to change the PVC ... must admit for me both and yes I love originals its nice to see them keep on going ( like me another chapter 3462454224 ) but im crazy for shock stun and amaze I hope vessey you just keep reminding me to keep my feet on the ground but to be honest i would not be going to tech it will be more cosmetic flower

Call me a pedant (because I am) but yours isn't original inside. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Looking at the add the previous owner added vinyl on the boards at the sides of the beds.
    Probably a functional as well as a decorative mod.
    What I did remember was that whilst the seller featured the stickers they'd added to the front. They only mentioned the addition of the Welsh Dragon in the text. WE HAVE DECORATED THE OUTSIDE WITH FUNKY STICKERS AND OF COURSE OUR WELSH CREST AND DRAGON [ EASILY REMOVED WITH HOT AIR DRIER ] (I would have thought a Dragon would be quite resilient to hot air?)
    Of course that particular mod was perfect for you but If they had realised the size of it suspect it would have affected bidding by prospective purchasers on the other side of Offa's Dyke. I believe removal would have left the Dragon's and Prince Of Wales' emblem in outline for a considerable period.
    So in summary great a mod for you but would have probably reduced its price if the photos you have posted had been used in the add.
    Is my point a negative comment on customisation or a negative comment on eBay sellers not being completely open?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

All this is coming out the wrong way round. What I think is important is whatever gives the owner pleasure.
    A regularly used ragged green or orange Dandy with the sides beginning to go and a split in the side held together with tenacious tape or gaffa tape is of more value than a dark blue Dandy parked up all year. It just happens to be worth less.
    As an analogy.
    What's more important in your life, what your car is or where your going and who your travelling with?
    I imagine the bed ends suit you down to the ground Caz as your in no rush to sell.
    I do wonder though if the prospective buyer who backed out did so before or after seeing the Dandy in all its glory.

Back to what I know better practical stuff: Did you sort the damaged corner on the 6 Caz? Is the tap on the new one within the sink? You can easily get a fold away tap.

That Blue and white Dandy does look odd though. I can't imagine what state it was in if they replaced the door frame wood. And conversely a major job if they sanded the phenolic coating off.

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 06 Mar 2012, 4:34 pm

You can call me nuts but I would probably pay more for the pink flowery Dandy than a plain brown one. If I am ever in a position that I will be Dandying alone I would without doubt have something like the Pink Dandy, I would probably have to paint the ply front and rear in pink too though.

Wish he would just give in to his feminine side Sad
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Tue 06 Mar 2012, 6:46 pm

thanks tow itch yes you are right bout my 6 inside but the perspex will be replaced because it does not fit properly as they silicone it into place which hasn't held so replacing it with ply and the covers are removable as for the stickers after the tour De France the feathers and dragon will go my son does not like the nose on the dragon to be honest neither do I , the corner on the 6 is fixed and on the 5 is nothing major .. but the 5 is the one I have decided to completely change have as many home comforts as i can.. my 6 i will put her back to her original self as I can... but blue will be the 5 with graphics designs of fairy's another chapter 3517506835 another chapter 3517506835 and another nephew is good with car body graphics and before you ask i have three nephews 31 ,22 and 2yr old another chapter 1705467399 um the kitchen unit in the 5 is caravan one and no the tap does not come out it is fixed I will take photo to show it.. the cooker and sink & drainer is in one . and yes helen think your right I would have payed more for the cute pink one another chapter 1705467399 must be a girly thing flower must admit I can do both another chapter 1710857839 love them both and can not wait to get out and about . got the 5 (Daisy) into my back garden and showed her off to all that passed with pride as I just sat in her today dreaming about the adventures we will have and so pleased that I can move her and put up and down all by my self another chapter 1710857839 another chapter 1710857839
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Tue 06 Mar 2012, 11:10 pm

Caz

Don't have the picture resolution to pick at the nose. (ouch)
    Do you think there will be a sun bleached silhouette left by the vinyl stickers.
    The 6 is a barn but not a lot of point if you can't put it up. You must be a strapping lass to throw the 5 up on your own.
    I presume that was the 5 without the awning. If you can manage the awning on your own I'll take lessons.
    Well chuffed your so happy.
    If your kitchen is cobbled together in the 5 I'd consider what I'd lose on the sale of the 6 if I swapped the kitchens round.
    I must have been at the cooking sherry to describe the pink one as blue.
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Wed 07 Mar 2012, 2:26 pm

dont know but i dont think that the 6 saw much day light when they had the stickers put on . as i understand they only went out on organised dandy rally's and not that often so hoping not.. but over the years she should eventually fade to the same colour she is booked for Italy or Spain next year cant decide.. don't think I will sell her as she is my first Dandy love , if I do think it will be when im put in a home kicking and screaming another chapter 1705467399 Google welsh dragon and then you will see the odd nose scratch I put her up yesturday again to show the 5 off to my sister then realised no gas struts oh move over Arnold Schwarzenegger another chapter 2792229418 ok going to attempt the awning as the sun is shining and let you know if you don't hear from me in days im still out there lol! oh yea good idea swap kitchens another chapter 2161515090 another chapter 1705467399 see if I had a brain I'd be dangerous another chapter 344726530 searching the inter-web to see if you can paint the PVC still searching its the technical jargon that i tend to glaze over so more and stronger coffee and read again why cant they show pictures flower
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Wed 07 Mar 2012, 4:30 pm

No bids on the pink one yet,wonder if a tin of brown paint would have helped it

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 27 Apr 2024, 6:20 am