Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

5 posters

land line or no land line...that is the question?

jenstar
    jenstar

land line or no land line...that is the question? Empty land line or no land line...that is the question?

Post by jenstar Wed 11 Apr 2012, 3:16 pm

Hi everyone!

Hope you all had a good Easter....was a tad on the cold side though!

I have a question for you all, we are considering getting rid of our land line (we are with Virgin) I am trying to stream line everything and if we dont use things much they are going!( would rather spend the money on other things!) We are getting rid of the TV package as we hardly use it now the lads are older and its a waste, which also turned my thoughts to the phone line. We both have mobiles,so do we really need a land line? There is a good connection for the mobiles in the house, all I ever do with the land line is pick it up to answer a cold call and Im paying for the pleasure!Its just a comfort thing having a land line isnt it, do many of you still keep one? Smile

Thanks Jennie.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

land line or no land line...that is the question? Empty Re: land line or no land line...that is the question?

Post by mike Wed 11 Apr 2012, 3:37 pm

Its two years since we got rid of the land line,we also did away with the fixed line broadband and reduced our tv package to large i also had a dongle and mobile the economy was for us

Land line £13
    broad band £18
    mobile £12
    dongle £15

Total £58

I now have a deal with 3 which gives me 2000 any network min 5000 texts 3000 3 to 3 min all the internet i can use with no limits i can connect my phone to the laptop for surfing or create a wi-fi hot spot so Nancy can go on-line at the same time this costs £25 a month so it saves me £33 a month at least,do i miss the land line thats a no,we have a pay as you go mobile and places like the garage have that number so unless ime expecting a call it stays off that way i get no unwanted calls on the mobile.
    There can be expensive calls like 0800 but some networks just call it a normal call if you miss the first 0 off or you may be able to find an alternative number,it just seams like a major step after having a land line for so long.
    jenstar
    jenstar

land line or no land line...that is the question? Empty Re: land line or no land line...that is the question?

Post by jenstar Wed 11 Apr 2012, 3:49 pm

Thanks Mike, this is my issue, it makes sense to get rid of it but would seem really strange!!!! I cant see any major pit falls just gains. We have to keep our broad band as the lads are real geeks (the one upside to their Autism! lol) and are planning to work from home, they really need a super fast connection for everything they run. So Im planning on getting rid of the TV package ( my geeks are setting us up with a freeveiw box and another PC that will give us access to catch up and the web etc) and I think the land line, so hoping to save a bit and then we plan to go to Giff Gaff for the mobiles got to look into that more first! Life is complex these days isnt it!!!!! lol land line or no land line...that is the question? 9639063
    Owd Lad
    Owd Lad

Post by Owd Lad Wed 11 Apr 2012, 3:49 pm

For us a land line is an essential, due to the location in which we live. Mobiles have a very hit & miss signal, if any. It's not just the phone but also the broadband access, which isn't brilliant but it's a damn site better for us than having to rely on an internet connection via the ether. Wife has an i-phone which is brilliant away from home. Not too good at home though. The other down side is the cost of contacting someone with a mobile from a land line. We have two or three close relatives who have gone mobile only and we don't tend to ring them as much as we used to (or is that us being mean!). The relatives who are mobile only do say that they wouldn't go back to a land line but they don't have computers. Arguments both ways I suppose.

Steve
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Wed 11 Apr 2012, 3:57 pm

Owd Lad wrote:For us a land line is an essential, due to the location in which we live. Mobiles have a very hit & miss signal, if any. It's not just the phone but also the broadband access, which isn't brilliant but it's a damn site better for us than having to rely on an internet connection via the ether. Wife has an i-phone which is brilliant away from home. Not too good at home though. The other down side is the cost of contacting someone with a mobile from a land line. We have two or three close relatives who have gone mobile only and we don't tend to ring them as much as we used to (or is that us being mean!). The relatives who are mobile only do say that they wouldn't go back to a land line but they don't have computers. Arguments both ways I suppose.

Steve

We told all our relatives ect to text or ring us and we will ring back,with 2000 min to use its no problem,i was on virgin fixed line broadband and 10% of the time it was quicker than the phone the other 90% varied between the same or worse,but if you game or download movies you need a fixed line.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 11 Apr 2012, 4:09 pm

We still have a land line, I don't know why but I have an aversion to mobile phones. I do have one but only ever use it if I need to take it with me camping. We haven't had a tv package for a couple of years now and we don't miss it, we tried them all from Sky to Virgin and were dissapointed with what we got for the price so bought a free sat box for some extra channels instead of paying out every month. I do like my landline and it gets used as doe's my broadband but I do shop around every now and again to see what deals are on and what's the most appropriate for us Very Happy
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Wed 11 Apr 2012, 4:34 pm

We've also been landline less for nearly three years. Don't miss it at all.

Our mobiles have enough minutes for our needs, and we have internet on the 3 network via the 3 wi-fi, using di-da mobile, we only use a few gb each month. If we used more, we would also use 3's the one plan. Also it's portable when we're camping.

In July we'll be paying out just under £20 per month for two mobile sim only deals and broadband.

Regards 08 numbers, I never call them from my mobile. I use 0800 buster and say no to 0870, there's even an app for that now. Also a lot of companies offer a ring back service.

But as already said, if you need internet for gaming or anything high speed, mobile broadband won't be quick enough, having said that, our mobile broadband is quicker than my parents landline broadband.

Regards the TV, we've recently been given a recording freeview box thing, we can even pause live TV on it, we're very modern now. lol! we had a normal free view box before that. We find there's plenty of channels, but that's all we've known.
    jenstar
    jenstar

Post by jenstar Thu 12 Apr 2012, 8:17 pm

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, yeh I think in our case we could manage without the land line and it would be a saving, will seem strange without it though! Will not miss the TV package at all, as you say the free view boxes are so good now and we dont get time to watch that much TV in the summer any how. Thanks again! Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 9:44 am