Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+2
Helen
sbm2001
6 posters

dandy for sale

sbm2001
    sbm2001

dandy for sale Empty dandy for sale

Post by sbm2001 Thu 19 Apr 2012, 1:25 pm

I have a dandy for sale, I live in north Cumbria and I got the caravan a few weeks ago and unfortunately my partner says that hell will freeze over b4 she gets in one of those things as she put it , so reluctantly i am selling it.

all i know about the tent is that it has an insulated canopy and has a full waning, blue and white

i can be contacted on here or via my email if you have any quyestions

i am looking for the same as i paid for the dandy which is £450 o.v.n.o

sbm2001 at hot mail dot come
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

dandy for sale Empty Re: dandy for sale

Post by Helen Thu 19 Apr 2012, 3:23 pm

It will say on the side of it what model it is, that would help people decide.
    sbm2001
    sbm2001

Post by sbm2001 Thu 19 Apr 2012, 3:30 pm

dandy dart is the model

thanks for your advice helen
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 19 Apr 2012, 4:00 pm

It's a bargain then and someone should snap your hand off, they are desirable and normally sell for a lot more.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 19 Apr 2012, 4:08 pm

If I had any more space to put Dandys it would have sold by now.
    sbm2001
    sbm2001

Post by sbm2001 Thu 19 Apr 2012, 4:11 pm

have already had a gent phone me to come to see the dandy on saterday morning, but if it does not sell i will let everyone know that its still available
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 19 Apr 2012, 4:13 pm

thanks, I'm not surprised. Whoever is viewing is getting a serious bargain at £450 dandy for sale 1710857839
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Thu 19 Apr 2012, 4:17 pm

I'm not surprised also. Good luck with the sale.
    sbm2001
    sbm2001

dandy for sale Empty update on my dandy

Post by sbm2001 Sat 21 Apr 2012, 12:34 am

a nice gent come to see my dandy today but decided that it was not for him, i have taken a few pics with my phone when it was put up this afternoon and i will upload them as soon as i work out how to get them from my phone to my notebook.

the gent that came to view said i should give a bit more of a description of the dandy so here goes:

I HAVE A DANDY FOR SALE , IT IS A WHITE LOWER BODY WITH A PALE BLUE AND WHITE UPPER SIDES AND PANEL'S. I THINK ITS A 1989 MODEL

WHEN YOU LOOK AT THE TRAILER IT LOOKS LIKE IT HAS ODD WHEELS BUT ITS BECAUSE I HAD TO FIT THE SPARE.

THE TRAILER IS FITTED WITH ELECTRICS AND HAS AN EXTRA LONG HOOK UP CABLE, THERE IS A 3 AMP AND 5 AMP TRIP FITTED AND THERE ARE ALSO 12V ELECTRICS FITTED FOR THE PUMP TO SUPPLY WATER TO THE SINK (THERE IS A SWITCH ON THE LEFT HAND SIDE TO POWER THE PUMP)AND A SMALL 12 INTERNAL LIGHT, THERE IS A 2 RING GAS COOKER WITH A GRILL FITTED IN THE SINK UNIT, THERE ARE A FULL SET OF CURTAINS FOR THE DANDY, WHICH IM LED TO BELIEVE ARE THE ORIGINALS.

THERE IS A FULL AWNING FOR THE DANDY.

AS WITH SOME DANDY'S OF THIS AGE IT WOULD BENEFIT FROM A GOOD CLEAN, BUT I AM NOT FIT ENOUGH TO DO IT , A SAD THING TO ADMIT.

I WOULD LOVE TO BE ABLE TO TAKE THE DANDY ON THE ROAD BUT DUE TO NOT HAVING A CAR WITH A TOW-BAR AND A PARTNER THAT DOES NOT WANT TO STEP INSIDE IT, UNFORTUNATELY ITS GOT TO GO, HENCE THE PRICE I AM ASKING FOR THE DANDY OF £550, I AM OPEN TO SENSIBLE OFFERS.

IF ANYONE HAS ANY QUESTIONS FEEL FREE TO MESSAGE ME ON HERE OR CALL ME

JIM

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

dandy for sale Empty [b] Dandy Still For Sale[/b]

Post by Tow Itch Sat 21 Apr 2012, 3:06 am

Alas Jim was to be sadly disappointed it wasn't a gentleman who turned up but myself.
    I've figured that if I wanted to do the gas struts acquiring a couple of Dandys and up rating them might well pay for any work on mine.
    I arrived at Wigton and picked up Jim.
    We went to where Jim had the Dandy laid up. If your going for this a vehicle with body skirts is not what you want to take.
    Luckily the Dandy doesn't have a Riviera heater because there wouldn't be much of it left if it had.
    The Dandy is down an unmetalled road that has a significantly raised centre.
    We got to the Dandy and Kevin was not his open minded happy best.
    It's brown it's brown it's £$5&!N brown. Walked round it, odd wheels an ex mini wheel on the near side a more contemporary flat wheel on the off side.
    Deary me what's happened here? I just wanted to bugger off home and wondered what the point is of asking anyone anything is.
    Composed myself and thought well I might as well have a look at this and post on what I see.
    Unhitched the Dandy from the vehicle it was attached to.
    Coupling moves in and out freely. Didn't check the brakes it wasn't that sort of surface where you could.
    Lifted the cover (brown slight cut sealed with gaffer tape) It is blue! What strange bag of $"!^& is this?
    Unfolding the legs look at the A frame for a date it's an 89. Realise typical Dandy 1st of the blue PVC with a left over brown body.
    Threw the thing up (Acid reflux) and Jim was telling me that the near side front needed propping up. Of course I knew better. The support leg was fine (well all the plastic feet need replacing but fine) A quick look round and all is better than it might be.
    I had looked over the underneath and it's straight. Considering the odd wheels I'd looked at the suspension and it looks square. Oh and there is a "spare wheel corresponding to the "flat" wheel on the off side.
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Had an all over look round. The down side is it needs a good scrub. A general clean and the black marks that PVC picks up. The offside wall has a faint "hallo" from the spare wheel but it's not deep it may scrub out. The up side is it's all there, there is a full awning (Brief look over awning and poles there. Not tried a full erection[More tea vicar])We've all seen awnings go for £250+ It's not got cuts or or splits in the roof sides or the drawstrings.
    It has a hook up. I've not metered the electrics but there is an distribution unit with an RCD with 10 and 5 amp MCBs no obvious 12v supply neither transformer nor battery. But there was a lead attached to two 12v sockets under the sink.
    The tap is not meant for a dandy but there is a water pump with a switch on the side of the sink for water.
    There are some home made covers for the sink and burners, but these don't hinge. The usual metal folding heat shield is under the sink. You can see the tap, distribution unit and sockets below.
    At this end looked at the window. It doesn't shut properly. Look at the catches, the ends look folded. Though either the wall pins are wrong or it's the wrong clamps. It's only less than 10mm you can no doubt camp with it while your looking for catches. Like a few things just odd.
    Upon retreating to take full frontal photo it was apparent that the LHS was dropped and angled. (Look again at the second photo) Jim was right!
    On reflection I thought that the bed side wall didn't look square. Upon folding the unit up I noticed that the bed frame was broken on a corner weld. The corners often break and a simple pop riveted corner plate is all that is required.
    Upon folding up we found what the caused the odd angle to the near side bed: I'd speculated that somehow an offside bed stay had been found (Only two of the leg stays were pinned in place. There was an odd mix of leg screws facing internally and externally.) What had actually happened was that the door end leg was the same length as the A frame end leg. The A frame end is mounted to the front of the body, the door end is mounted under the body and should be 2" to 3" longer. These are handed though, no such part as that found should exist.
    Oh and there is a small crease on the body on the rear off side corner. (And I mean small)

This is an odd messed about Dandy but only with minor things. The questions about the bed supports and window catches we'll probably never know the answers to. It's all a bit strangely messed about.
    It needs three new tyres. How many Dandys don't need new tyres?
    Why didn't I buy it? If I just wanted to turn a coin I should have, it's probably cost me £50+ in petrol to view. I can't be bothered to argue over bits and pieces upon selling. I regret not taking my laptop because I'd have offered to tow it further south for someone who would have committed to buy. I'm lazy just didn't want to do the buggering about just to sell on. It is majorly there though, odd but better than a lot I've seen
    I don't believe I'm breaking any confidence to say Jim got this at the best of prices but he's not robbing anyone at £450.
    I've seen worse go for lots more. If by chance you want a multi fuel stove you may save by speaking to Jim's mate.
    Apologies to your mates missus Jim I never thanked her for the coffee and cake.
    If you have an open mind and you may well get a bargain.
    If lacking in an open mind or scared of dogs go elsewhere.

Cred point. All white Dandys rare? How many blue and white Dandys with white brown bodies have you seen?

Final bit the joined pieces of PVC aren't separating but odd bits of the piping trim of thin PVC are lifting.
    There is a newish gas pipe and regulator and 907 Camping Gaz bottle (didn't check how full)
    I've also discovered that the blue curtains I have for my awning must be a Dandy fitment.

Sorry Jim I said I'd post just late home and this took an age to write up.
    If you don't agree with anything I've said or think I've got it wrong do say.

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sat 21 Apr 2012, 5:55 am

I had to read it twice Kevin possibly due to the early hour Very Happy once before my egg and bacon bun and once after,shouldn't have bothered really because i know you well enough to know there wont be any subliminal message in there,my conclusion from your report is its worth the money being ask leaving two levels of a bargain,one buy it and sort it yourself and end up with a very cheap dandy,or pay to get some of the problems sorted.
    The most expensive sounds like the tires which as you say most dandy's sold could do with new rubber due to age if not wear,cant remember all the bits but the window is a flat item on a flat wall so maybe just adjustments.

No proof of this but i think the odd colour mixes where customer choices or a shortage of money at the factory.

mike

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sat 21 Apr 2012, 7:06 am

A thought on the wheels,my 88 delta had the flat wheels on you mention wonder if the ones on this where original and some one bought or had a mini wheel to use as the spare.
    sbm2001
    sbm2001

dandy for sale Empty THE ODD DANDY

Post by sbm2001 Sat 21 Apr 2012, 8:37 am

MANY THANKS TO KEVIN FOR COMING ALL THIS WAY, I WAS RIGHT IN MY ASSUMPTION OF HIM BEING A GENT, AS HE SAID STRAIGHT AWAY THAT IT WASN'T FOR HIM BUT HE TOOK THE TIME TO BUILD IT UP WITH ME TOOK PHOTOS AND OFFERED A LOT OF HELPFUL ADVICE.

AFTER HE HAD GONE I GOT TO THINKING THAT THE DANDY COMMUNITY ARE AS FAR FROM THE IMAGE ONE OUTSIDER MIGHT HAVE OF A GROUP OF PEOPLE WITH WACKY LITTLE MOBILE TENTS/CARAVANS

KEV THANKS M8 FOR ALL YOUR COMMENTS AND PHOTO'S ITS MUCH APPRECIATED

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sat 21 Apr 2012, 8:58 am

Mike

As you say I wasn't being cryptic.
    Other than a new set of tyres. Virtually a requirement for all Dandys. It was all bits and pieces.
    I tried to relate the tale in the way my thoughts occurred chronologically at the time.
    From extremely brassed off at seeing a "brown" Dandy to trying to understand the bed supports.
    The picture of the window bracket doesn't illustrate exactly what the issue is.
    When the clamp is fully closed the "pin" isn't far enough away from the outer edge of the wall to clamp shut.
    As I've never had a problem with this I can't visualise how it is on my Dandy(s).
    What does it matter? It's a small mechanical fix.
    My problem with this Dandy was that it looks slightly odd and three tyres possibly with a wheel centre were required. If you are looking to sell on that's a big hit for an essential item that nobody ever seems to want to pay for. Though if you are buying tyres for yourself you are pre paying for up to ten years use. (Not necessarily five Mike some tyre manufacturers are much more open as to how long tyres are serviceable for)
    It is odd because I think it's only Dandy owners who could debate the value of 23 year old campers rather than put them up for offers or tow them down the tip.
    Charming vendor and his friends where the Dandy is stored are enthralling.

I tryped this and then saw Jim's comments. It's not a mutual back slapping forum. Just nice people selling. What doesn't suit me will be ideal for someone else.
    sbm2001
    sbm2001

dandy for sale Empty HI MIKE

Post by sbm2001 Sat 21 Apr 2012, 9:05 am

WOULD IT BE BETTER IF ALL THE WHEELS WERE THE FLAT TYPE YOU MENTION OR ALL OF THE MINI TYPE?

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sat 21 Apr 2012, 9:18 am

I'd say flat were of the time but it's only £20 or so difference on buying the tyres.
    It was more me explaining my thought process. Other people will have their own ideas.
    This Dandy is basically sound. The big budget items are good. The floor and the suspension are sound.
    It has a full awning. It will go.
    sbm2001
    sbm2001

dandy for sale Empty HI MIKE

Post by sbm2001 Sat 21 Apr 2012, 10:17 am

YOU ARE MORE KNOWLEDGEABLE THAN I AM ABOUT THESE TRAILERS AND ANY ADVICE HELPS ME
    sbm2001
    sbm2001

dandy for sale Empty DANDY HAS GONE

Post by sbm2001 Sat 21 Apr 2012, 11:04 am

WELL FOLKS HAVE JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH A YOUNG LADY CALLED MAZ, WHO IS COMING FROM CHESHIRE NEXT WEEKEND TO TAKE THE DANDY AWAY, AM FEELING A BIT SAD NOW , BUT I THINK I GOT THE BUG BECAUSE IM GOING TO LOOK FOR ANOTHER ONE AS A PROJECT TO WORK ON FOR NEXT YEAR.

A BIG THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND ADVICE, I AM STILL GOING TO STAY A DANDY LESS MEMBER OF THIS FORUM AS YOU ALL SEAM A GREAT BUNCH OF PEOPLE WHO OFFER GREAT ADVICE

MANY THANKS ONCE AGAIN

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers :che
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sat 21 Apr 2012, 11:32 am

sbm2001 wrote:WELL FOLKS HAVE JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH A YOUNG LADY CALLED MAZ, WHO IS COMING FROM CHESHIRE NEXT WEEKEND TO TAKE THE DANDY AWAY, AM FEELING A BIT SAD NOW , BUT I THINK I GOT THE BUG BECAUSE IM GOING TO LOOK FOR ANOTHER ONE AS A PROJECT TO WORK ON FOR NEXT YEAR.

A BIG THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND ADVICE, I AM STILL GOING TO STAY A DANDY LESS MEMBER OF THIS FORUM AS YOU ALL SEAM A GREAT BUNCH OF PEOPLE WHO OFFER GREAT ADVICE

MANY THANKS ONCE AGAIN

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers :che

Great stuff it should make a nice little unit,if it was me i would run the two flat wheels on the trailer with the mini as a spare possibly moderating my speed if i ever had to use the spare.
    sbm2001
    sbm2001

dandy for sale Empty dandys

Post by sbm2001 Mon 23 Apr 2012, 5:05 pm

i wish i could find another 5 or 6 dandys given the amount of texts emails and phone calls ive had over this past weekend lol
    Dandier
    Dandier

Post by Dandier Mon 23 Apr 2012, 8:37 pm

sbm2001 wrote:i wish i could find another 5 or 6 dandys given the amount of texts emails and phone calls ive had over this past weekend lol
    Well if you do let me know, i would have bought it if i had have seen your add in time!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 27 Apr 2024, 11:43 pm