Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+3
ShaunJUK
Helen
fenhel1
7 posters

Insurance and MOT

fenhel1

Insurance and MOT Empty Insurance and MOT

Post by fenhel1 Sun 24 Jun 2012, 10:32 am

Hi, I am wondering if anyone can help. We have been told that a new law has come in that our dandy trailer will need a MOT due to brake on trailer. Is this true and it needs insurance.
    Please could you clarify and also where is best for insurance
    Many thanks
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Insurance and MOT Empty Re: Insurance and MOT

Post by Helen Sun 24 Jun 2012, 11:39 am

As far as I know because it's a braked trailer you have to ensure that the brakes are connected to the car and in working order, if the police stop and check and the trailer isn't in roadworthy condition then you could be prosecuted. All lights should be working and you should service regularly anyway and check tyres, it's just common sense ...... as for the MOT I think it's changes to the car MOT and towbars that your referring to. We have informed the car insurance company we use that we do tow both a Caravan and a Dandy and it hasn't made any difference to the price of our policy. Insurance isn't that expensive for Dandy's and I would recommend it, we get ours here

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Insurance and MOT 936075699 To the Dandy Campers Forum

ShaunJUK
    ShaunJUK

Post by ShaunJUK Sun 24 Jun 2012, 11:49 am

Helen wrote:As far as I know because it's a braked trailer you have to ensure that the brakes are connected to the car and in working order, if the police stop and check and the trailer isn't in roadworthy condition then you could be prosecuted. All lights should be working and you should service regularly anyway and check tyres, it's just common sense ...... as for the MOT I think it's changes to the car MOT and towbars that your referring to. We have informed the car insurance company we use that we do tow both a Caravan and a Dandy and it hasn't made any difference to the price of our policy. Insurance isn't that expensive for Dandy's and I would recommend it, we get ours here

I tried them before Helen but they only cover under 25 yr old, is there anywhere that covers older models?
    fenhel1

Post by fenhel1 Sun 24 Jun 2012, 12:13 pm

Helen wrote:As far as I know because it's a braked trailer you have to ensure that the brakes are connected to the car and in working order, if the police stop and check and the trailer isn't in roadworthy condition then you could be prosecuted. All lights should be working and you should service regularly anyway and check tyres, it's just common sense ...... as for the MOT I think it's changes to the car MOT and towbars that your referring to. We have informed the car insurance company we use that we do tow both a Caravan and a Dandy and it hasn't made any difference to the price of our policy. Insurance isn't that expensive for Dandy's and I would recommend it, we get ours here

Thanks, we check brake lights etc and tyres, as you say its common sense but someone told us the trailer would need an MOT so no one has heard this before, apparently its a law thats come in this year. If anyone has a link to insurance for a dandy over 25 years old thanks
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 24 Jun 2012, 12:28 pm

I'm sure some one will be able to help you, I think some are members of the Caravan and Camping Club and insure through them. I would hope that if an MOT for trailers had been made law it would be well publicised considering the millions it would affect.
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis Sun 24 Jun 2012, 12:57 pm

i had a look on the trailer association site and there is nothing there about a new law coming in for braked trailers and i would have thought they would need to let you know well in advance so all the trailers out there could be MOT'd before it came into effect
    fenhel1

Post by fenhel1 Sun 24 Jun 2012, 1:11 pm

Eilis wrote:i had a look on the trailer association site and there is nothing there about a new law coming in for braked trailers and i would have thought they would need to let you know well in advance so all the trailers out there could be MOT'd before it came into effect

Thanks for that, I knew this was the best place to find out. Thank you
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 24 Jun 2012, 1:58 pm

There is a change in October i think all new trailers will need type approval that could be what you have seen Mike

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 24 Jun 2012, 2:04 pm

Just found this regarding Type approval ...... not read through it yet but here's the link, if you can fathom what it all means can you please explain it here

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 24 Jun 2012, 2:12 pm

Don't think it affects us its only new trailers I think
    MrsG
    MrsG

Post by MrsG Sun 24 Jun 2012, 2:59 pm

Got ours through C&CC Shaun - its dead cheap aswell £40 to cover her for 3k which will allow us to replace her and also 1k of contents....I don't worry about theft as much, more so people driving into her or something...Ours is 1989.

Shocked Shocked
    fenhel1

Post by fenhel1 Sun 24 Jun 2012, 3:58 pm

MrsG wrote:Got ours through C&CC Shaun - its dead cheap aswell £40 to cover her for 3k which will allow us to replace her and also 1k of contents....I don't worry about theft as much, more so people driving into her or something...Ours is 1989.

Shocked Shocked

Thanks for that will look into the insurance, that's very cheap and gives peace of mind
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Mon 25 Jun 2012, 12:40 am

same as me got insurance from c&cc no probs with insuring the old girls covers contents,the Dandy, and any one that I hit Embarassed I mean that hits me flower

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 27 Apr 2024, 5:34 am