Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+4
Helen
Eilis
mike
jake001
8 posters

Computer trouble

jake001
    jake001

Computer trouble Empty Computer trouble

Post by jake001 Wed 08 Aug 2012, 12:45 pm

Yesterday I decided to download a Windows update, simple really lol!

Downloaded and installed fine, then tried to restart, it began to start windows and then stopped with an error message and a promise to fix it and start again. OK thought I just a slight glitch but it can fix itself clown
    and again affraid

and again Computer trouble 2829330259

After several more attempts, with varying results but no startup, I decided that the only answer was the nuclear option of the dreaded recovery disc made when the computer was new. This wiped out all files and downloads made in the last four years Computer trouble 143088812

I have spent about 12 hours getting back to some semblance of normality, with a lot of shouting and swearing at the screen, and have still lost a lot of data, nothing of vital importance but inconvenient all the same.

The moral of the story is make a recovery copy to dvd at regular intervals Embarassed

P.S. I have now downloaded the update that caused all the trouble (after making a disc Rolling Eyes ) and everything works fine scratch

P.P.S. I know a lot about how computers work but not how to work them

P.P.P.S. This should have been in moans and groans (see above)
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Computer trouble Empty Re: Computer trouble

Post by mike Wed 08 Aug 2012, 2:33 pm

Just remember they only pretend to be on your side Very Happy
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis Wed 08 Aug 2012, 5:08 pm

i also had terrible trouble after downloading a windows update and i have now switched them off totally

took me ages to sort it and like you i lost loads of files - not impressed
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 08 Aug 2012, 5:40 pm

I've had computer trouble too ...... I managed to leave my power lead in Wales and my battery is now flat as a pancake so I'm using my old very slow and often unreliable laptop until I can retrieve it. Windows updates have messed up my settings once or twice too, I no longer have it turned on to automatic updates. Sad
    bgarston
    bgarston

Post by bgarston Wed 08 Aug 2012, 8:12 pm

jake001 wrote:Yesterday I decided to download a Windows update, simple really lol!

Downloaded and installed fine, then tried to restart, it began to start windows and then stopped with an error message and a promise to fix it and start again. OK thought I just a slight glitch but it can fix itself clown
    and again affraid

After several more attempts, with varying results but no startup, I decided that the only answer was the nuclear option of the dreaded recovery disc made when the computer was new. This wiped out all files and downloads made in the last four years Computer trouble 143088812

I have spent about 12 hours getting back to some semblance of normality, with a lot of shouting and swearing at the screen, and have still lost a lot of data, nothing of vital importance but inconvenient all the same.

The moral of the story is make a recovery copy to dvd at regular intervals Embarassed

P.S. I have now downloaded the update that caused all the trouble (after making a disc Rolling Eyes ) and everything works fine scratch

Hi Jake! Well done or getting as far as you have.......most aren't as brave or determined; are you all sorted now? If you've still got issues I might be able to help provided the computer in question can access the 'net. Let me know. Cheers Ben
    jake001
    jake001

Post by jake001 Wed 08 Aug 2012, 9:23 pm

Thanks for the thought Ben, most things seem to be working except for the 5 button mouse, that was always a mystery anyway as it never had the proper drivers but worked anyway Question It's just the extra buttons that are inop so it will do until I get a wireless one perhaps Smile I've also lost a lot of useless junk that had accumulated so it's not all bad lol! That plus an extra 2 gig of RAM that I put in last week (no that wasn't the problem) has speeded things up no end Computer trouble 1710857839
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Thu 09 Aug 2012, 12:08 am

Computer trouble 3355420168 Jake your new avatar.

Is it a bloke?
    Well it may be a shadow on the picture but for whatever reason he appears to have a cracking pair of tits.
    Oh that was a shock the last word came out without censorship.
    Do check I blew the avatar up several times.

For those in the know I'll probably end up talking about windscreen wipers next!
    jake001
    jake001

Post by jake001 Thu 09 Aug 2012, 6:02 am

Tow Itch wrote: Computer trouble 3355420168 Jake your new avatar.

Is it a bloke?
    Well it may be a shadow on the picture but for whatever reason he appears to have a cracking pair of tits.
    Oh that was a shock the last word came out without censorship.
    Do check I blew the avatar up several times.

For those in the know I'll probably end up talking about windscreen wipers next!

It's supposed to be a dandy of course Smile (Beau Brummel in fact) but hasn't shrunk very well affraid

The slightly more pc but even uglier term is, I think, Kevin, "man boobs" lol!
    Is this better Question
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Thu 09 Aug 2012, 7:03 pm

Better would involve strange connotations I'd rather say different.
    Esermalda
    Esermalda

Post by Esermalda Sun 12 Aug 2012, 10:27 am

its
    "MOOBS"
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Sun 12 Aug 2012, 5:09 pm

jake001 wrote:Yesterday I decided to download a Windows update, simple really lol!

and again affraid

scratch why didn't you go back in time on your computer saves loosing stuff .
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis Sun 12 Aug 2012, 5:49 pm

when a windows update ruined my laptop caz1960 i had the blue screen of death so that wouldn't work at all

sadly i lost all my stuff but none of it was very important thank goodness and much of it replaced already

windows updates can be lethal
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Sun 12 Aug 2012, 5:56 pm

Eilis wrote:when a windows update ruined my laptop caz1960 i had the blue screen of death so that wouldn't work at all

sadly i lost all my stuff but none of it was very important thank goodness and much of it replaced already

windows updates can be lethal

scratch scratch not good I'd complain to windows not that they would pay any attention but if enough do Computer trouble 143088812 but not good that would ruin a perfectly good day flower
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Mon 13 Aug 2012, 6:09 pm

Had more computer trouble ........ forgot to take it with me What a Face

It ended up left on the dining room table just like the clothes did once before ...... I would have rather had my laptop with me as clothes are easy to sort out for a few days away. Rolling Eyes

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 5:21 pm