Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

5 posters

Free standing awning

clydestyle

Free standing awning Empty Free standing awning

Post by clydestyle Wed 10 Oct 2012, 7:32 pm

Hi,
    I love using my original awning with my 1996 Designer.

I have however for some time been considering buying a modern freestanding awning for weekend trips- I have looked at a fair amount of posts on here about alternatives.
    I don't want to use an awning rail so fancy a motorhome awning- I like the look of the Movelite XL.

The question is will I see a benefit in erection/packing time? Or should I keep my cash and continue to use my Dandy awning even for short trips?

All comments welcome!

Thanks

Mikey
    fearful wizard

Free standing awning Empty Re: Free standing awning

Post by fearful wizard Wed 10 Oct 2012, 9:36 pm

I have a movelite midi awning, which is great when its up.
    But i couldnt put it up on my own whilst it was windy, i tried for an hour but gave up in the end
    But i have just come back from a short trip and managed to put the original awning up on my own, even in the wind.
    When my mate helped, we put the movelite up fairly quickly, but as with anything with practice it will become easier. Pete
    clydestyle

Free standing awning Empty Hi

Post by clydestyle Wed 10 Oct 2012, 9:42 pm

fearful wizard wrote:I have a movelite midi awning, which is great when its up.
    But i couldnt put it up on my own whilst it was windy, i tried for an hour but gave up in the end
    But i have just come back from a short trip and managed to put the original awning up on my own, even in the wind.
    When my mate helped, we put the movelite up fairly quickly, but as with anything with practice it will become easier. Pete
    Hi Pete
    I always put the original awning (and all my tents) on my own as my wife hates camping.
    My two daughters love camping but hate setting up!
    I was hoping a modern awning would be easier to set up- maybe not!
    Thanks

Mikey
    littlemisshs

Post by littlemisshs Wed 10 Oct 2012, 10:57 pm

clydestyle wrote:Hi,

I have however for some time been considering buying a modern freestanding awning for weekend trips- I have looked at a fair amount of posts on here about alternatives.
    I don't want to use an awning rail so fancy a motorhome awning- I like the look of the Movelite XL.

The question is will I see a benefit in erection/packing time? Or should I keep my cash and continue to use my Dandy awning even for short trips?

All comments welcome!

Thanks

Mikey

Hello there, Free standing awning 1249597727
    Sorry I'm being very cheeky here, but if you do get a new awning & decide to sell your original Dandy awning, I would very much like to buy one or exchange with my original sun canopy! I know it's a slim chance, but got to try! Apologies guys. Free standing awning 2024858757
    clydestyle

Post by clydestyle Wed 10 Oct 2012, 11:08 pm

littlemisshs wrote:
    clydestyle wrote:Hi,

All comments welcome!

Thanks

Mikey
    Nice- but no way I would sell the original awning as I like the look of both set up!
    Good luck in your search!
    Mikey

Hello there, Free standing awning 1249597727
    Sorry I'm being very cheeky here, but if you do get a new awning & decide to sell your original Dandy awning, I would very much like to buy one or exchange with my original sun canopy! I know it's a slim chance, but got to try! Apologies guys. Free standing awning 2024858757
    littlemisshs

Post by littlemisshs Thu 11 Oct 2012, 7:50 am

Thanks Mikey, good luck on your's too! Very Happy
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 11 Oct 2012, 8:44 am

A friend of mine who was 4 foot 3 tall could put up an 8 man tunnel tent single handed and also had a 5 man dome tent ( she upgraded to the 8 man so she could have a tv room Laughing )that she did alone too, we watched her do it as she wouldn't accept help on account of having to do it alone when she wanted to take off if the sun was shining (and she did often Free standing awning 1710857839 ) and she had a system where she fitted the pin into to one side of the pole then pegged it into the ground until that side was done - the tent is still flat to the ground with the poles threaded through, she then went to the other side and because the first side was pegged into position it stayed there even in wind. You can always go around and un-peg anything that isn't in quite the right place to reposition it. I have the tents now and have managed to erect the dome tent alone and it's a similar shape and size to the movelight but with an added pole. The trick is to peg one side down before attempting to lift the tent and pin the other side Very Happy Hope I've explained it clearly.

Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Thu 18 Oct 2012, 4:03 pm

We've used a motorhome awning, and also a Dandy awning, each have good points and bad points.

The motorhome awning is lightweight and dead easy to put up, but it then moves more in the wind. The Dandy awning is more sweat making to put up, but needs less pegging out.

The Dandy awning can be put away wet if needed, the motorhome will need drying out, but it doesn't necessarily need putting up to do this.

I feel the Dandy awning will wear out much much less, other awnings can wear thin over a long time with much use, especially in the sun. Rolling Eyes

A canvas awning will need waterproofing, a Dandy awning or whats it made awning won't.

A motorhome awning often has a sleeping area in it.

If possible, it would help if you can try one for a trip, you will then see what suits you the best, and what you like and don't like about each. scratch

PS we have a non Dandy awning for sale, you're more than welcome to have a play with that. Very Happy
    clydestyle

Free standing awning Empty Hi

Post by clydestyle Thu 18 Oct 2012, 9:09 pm

Cazz wrote:We've used a motorhome awning, and also a Dandy awning, each have good points and bad points.

The motorhome awning is lightweight and dead easy to put up, but it then moves more in the wind. The Dandy awning is more sweat making to put up, but needs less pegging out.

The Dandy awning can be put away wet if needed, the motorhome will need drying out, but it doesn't necessarily need putting up to do this.

I feel the Dandy awning will wear out much much less, other awnings can wear thin over a long time with much use, especially in the sun. Rolling Eyes

A canvas awning will need waterproofing, a Dandy awning or whats it made awning won't.

A motorhome awning often has a sleeping area in it.

If possible, it would help if you can try one for a trip, you will then see what suits you the best, and what you like and don't like about each. scratch

PS we have a non Dandy awning for sale, you're more than welcome to have a play with that. Very Happy

Hi Cazz

Decided to keep my pennies for christmas!
    (still watching ebay though)

All the best with the sale

Mikey
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Thu 18 Oct 2012, 9:23 pm

Good plan. I hope you find something that suits your needs, sometimes it's a case of trial and experiment. Free standing awning 3498837457

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 4:23 pm