Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+4
peridot
Helen
mike
lektroshok
8 posters

Dandy Designer wanted

lektroshok

Dandy Designer wanted Empty Dandy Designer wanted

Post by lektroshok Sun 14 Apr 2013, 8:33 pm

HI there,
    My name is Steve.
    I am looking to buy a Dandy Designer, I have £1500 to spend.
    The condition is important to me as I would hope to make use of it for quite a time. If the right one comes along,I would be prepared to pay that extra dollar for it.

Thanks,

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Dandy Designer wanted Empty Re: Dandy Designer wanted

Post by mike Mon 15 Apr 2013, 10:41 am

You dont say if you have any other needs ie awning insulation underfloor heater,mind you that should all be within your budget
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Mon 15 Apr 2013, 2:58 pm

Hi Steve, welcome to the Dandy Campers ...... hope you find your Dandy soon Dandy Designer wanted 1066248140
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Mon 15 Apr 2013, 7:18 pm

Hi Steve,

Have you seen the one on ebay at the moment - Norwich area?

It has a few minor issues but is sounds like the seller is being honest about everything. No awning with it but you can use various alternative awnings if you ned to.

Good luck in your search - the Designer is a great unit and there's lots of them about, so it shouldn't take you too long to find the right one.

lektroshok

Dandy Designer wanted Empty Got one!

Post by lektroshok Mon 22 Apr 2013, 9:08 pm

Hi there,
    Thank you for your posts, I have just won a bid on e-bay and I should be the proud owner of a Dandy.
    Cant believe I had my mind set on a'Designer', and ended up purchasing a 'Dart'. From it's age,I think it's the one that NOAH used when he went camping -LOL!
    ShaunJUK
    ShaunJUK

Post by ShaunJUK Mon 22 Apr 2013, 9:13 pm

lektroshok wrote:Hi there,
    Thank you for your posts, I have just won a bid on e-bay and I should be the proud owner of a Dandy.
    Cant believe I had my mind set on a'Designer', and ended up purchasing a 'Dart'. From it's age,I think it's the one that NOAH used when he went camping -LOL!

Dandy Designer wanted 1428739134

Can we see which one?
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Mon 22 Apr 2013, 9:14 pm

Dandy Designer wanted 1428739134

I saw that one on ebay - looked to be a well cared for unit.

Hope you have every success with it.

peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Mon 22 Apr 2013, 9:16 pm

I'm assuming it's [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    lektroshok

Post by lektroshok Mon 22 Apr 2013, 10:43 pm

Yes that's the one.
    Hope its as good as the add promotes,cant wait to plan the first camp.
    Do any of you use one of those anti-sway attachments when towing? wondered if its worth getting one.
    ShaunJUK
    ShaunJUK

Post by ShaunJUK Mon 22 Apr 2013, 10:48 pm

Its a nice looking dandy.

I like the brown ones
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Mon 22 Apr 2013, 10:51 pm

Dandy Designer wanted 1428739134 Dandy Designer wanted 1428739134 she looks very tidy and well looked after ,, as for the anti sway gadget I have 2 Dandy's and not ever found swaying a problem (even when my friend towed my 6 on motorway at 80 the only problem he got was a severe earache and pain in the arm when he stopped I do not advise that speed )
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Mon 22 Apr 2013, 10:52 pm

lektroshok wrote:
    Do any of you use one of those anti-sway attachments when towing? wondered if its worth getting one.

You won't get any benefit from one on a Dart. The smaller Dandys are rock solid towing. It's only when you get up to the larger Discovery / Destiny modes that they may be worth considering.

Enjoy your planning - will you do something for the first May Bank Holiday?
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Mon 22 Apr 2013, 11:07 pm

Dandy Designer wanted 2716414575 lektroshok and Dandy Designer wanted 1428739134 on your new to you Dandy.

Hope you have many happy Dandy trips in her. Smile
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 23 Apr 2013, 9:17 am

Dandy Designer wanted 1428739134 It's a lovely looking Dandy Dandy Designer wanted 184121345
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Tue 23 Apr 2013, 2:34 pm

peridot wrote:
    lektroshok wrote:

You won't get any benefit from one on a Dart. The smaller Dandys are rock solid towing. It's only when you get up to the larger Discovery / Destiny modes that they may be worth considering.

Sorry but i need to disagree with this statement in the sense you wont get any benefit with any dandy unless something goes wrong, then its handy to have on any trailer. Size of trailer is fairly irrelevant blow out on the trailer tyre, clipped trailer by some idiot pulling in due to misjudged overtaking of a car behind you,emergency stop with oil on the road.
    These i admit are unlikely and most of the time never happen but a stabiliser is for the unexpected event nothing to do with controlling a large trailer correctly loaded during normal towing,i dont use on even on my six and only had one occasion when it would have helped and that was being forced too close to the verge by a lorry and hitting potholes, with 40 years of towing some commercially for a plant hire company with four wheel trailers that have front steering i managed to keep it to a twitch.
    You should be ok with out one but if it makes you feel better fit one.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Tue 23 Apr 2013, 7:22 pm

mike wrote:
    peridot wrote:
    lektroshok wrote:

Sorry but i need to disagree with this statement in the sense you wont get any benefit with any dandy unless something goes wrong, then its handy to have on any trailer. Size of trailer is fairly irrelevant blow out on the trailer tyre, clipped trailer by some idiot pulling in due to misjudged overtaking of a car behind you,emergency stop with oil on the road.
    These i admit are unlikely and most of the time never happen but a stabiliser is for the unexpected event nothing to do with controlling a large trailer correctly loaded during normal towing,i dont use on even on my six and only had one occasion when it would have helped and that was being forced too close to the verge by a lorry and hitting potholes, with 40 years of towing some commercially for a plant hire company with four wheel trailers that have front steering i managed to keep it to a twitch.
    You should be ok with out one but if it makes you feel better fit one.

Nothing like a bit of controversy I'll go for the opposing point of view.

The problem being you either substantiate your argument by a knowledge of maths and physics or by practical experience.
    My maths isn't good enough to do the sums and my experience is possibly far too limited to understand the possibilities but here goes this is what I think the truth is:

Geometry. There is a thread that I started on the subject of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] There are lots of articles within this but to my mind the most relevant piece WRT to the rear entry Dandys is a reference to the ratio of the distance from the tow hitch to the axle to the distance from tow hitch to the end of the trailer

From [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

A study by Darling, J., Tilley, D., Gao, B., 2009. ‘An experimental investigation of car-trailer high-speed stability’ published in the Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, 223 (4), pp. 471-484) indicates that dominant factors affecting stability are trailer yaw inertia, nose mass (mass distribution), and trailer axle position.

The ratio in a rear entry dandy is about 6:9 as against the ratio of a Dandy 6 of 5:8 (best expression of 71/2/12) it doesn't sound a big deal but the rear entry Dandys are unshakeable. My rod braked 4 doesn't have perfect brake adjustment but apart from the odd skip on braking I've never felt any issues. I may have towed it and my Designer at speeds above that legal in France. I have never felt the merest shimmy, nothing nada.
    So I think the short Dandys are supremely stable.

The problem or possible problem with stabilisers. I have towed a trailer that was prone to snake. It slows you down no end. No matter how you may attempt to play with things snaking slows you down. I defy anyone to push a snaking trailer your nerve runs out. The allegation against stabilisers is that they damp out or remove this low level snake but should a catastrophic situation occur they do not have the ability to contain the forces exposed at that point. Side points are that by damping out low level snaking they enable bad loading with excessive or no nose weight and poor mass centralisation. (not sure about the high noseweight as this assists stability.)

See the end of page 6 and the beginning of page 7 [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

A friction layer around the hitch has been shown to smooth down minor snaking, to reduce settling time. Trials however show that such (Coulomb friction) devices have no effect on forces beyond that.
    The author at least, is concerned that the restraining forces built up within such devices, add suddenly and possibly dangerously to the disturbing forces, when such devices are suddenly overwhelmed - and let go.

The new brake applying sensors are reconed to be brilliant other than some fears of over aplication and reduced MPG but these cost a fortune. They might be suitable if you had a Highside Destiny.

Overview from Dr J Darling in: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Abstract

Previous work on car-trailer stability has been largely limited to theoretical studies with some reference to practical experience or accident statistics. In this study, extensive and systematic experimental investigations were carried out oil a combined car-adjustable-trailer system. The influence of different trailer parameters on the system high-speed stability was examined by changing the mass, dimensions, and inertial characteristics of a fully adjustable trailer. It was found that the dominant factors affecting stability were the trailer yaw inertia, nose mass (mass distribution), and trailer axle position. The tyre pressure also affects the stability, although this effect is less significant. It is interesting to see that the trailer mass alone does not dramatically affect the high-speed stability, as this runs contrary to current guidelines relating to limits on the relative mass of the car and trailer. Experimental tests on a friction stabilizer and on car electronic stability programs demonstrate that both of these improve the high-speed stability and help to delay the onset of 'snaking'. Author Dr J Darling
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Wed 24 Apr 2013, 2:08 pm

Not going to justify my argument,when ask is a stabiliser needed or not my experience over the years stops me from telling possibly new to towing drivers they dont need one,i dont know there ability or nerve when things start to go wrong.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 17 May 2024, 2:42 am