Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+5
Tow Itch
Phoenix
peridot
navver
rnc29
9 posters

Destiny awning video and a bit of help.

rnc29

Destiny awning video and a bit of help. Empty Destiny awning video and a bit of help.

Post by rnc29 Sun 23 Jun 2013, 9:09 pm

Hi guys,

First full trip out in the dandy this weekend having bought last August. And having taken on the task of erecting the pvc awning, i was wondering if i should make a video. Various videos have helped us put the dandy up and was going to give something back to the little community. -).

On some side notes, i put the awning up but i am left with a front section size chunk of pvc with a window but have not got the foggiest idea what its for, its 3m ish wide by 2m ish high with window.
    any ideas??

also im missing a bed section roof pole and was gonna ring riva dandy unless any of you kind peeps can help me out with suggestions or spares..( i will pay).

also need velcro and a groundsheet.

anyway enough of my waffle, any help would be gratefully accepted. let me know if you think the awning video would be welcomed.

ta
    navver

Destiny awning video and a bit of help. Empty Re: Destiny awning video and a bit of help.

Post by navver Sun 23 Jun 2013, 9:46 pm

I don't actually know of a video on putting a dandy awning up so it would be useful. I see descriptions but until you actually see one, they take some understanding. I think it would be useful.

Is your piece of awning the same colour etc as the rest. It might just be a spare bit from another awning.

I'm sure Riva dandy can supply a pole very cheaply.
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Destiny awning video and a bit of help. Empty Re: Destiny awning video and a bit of help.

Post by peridot Sun 23 Jun 2013, 10:01 pm

Well if a picture paints a thousand words a video must paint many thousands Smile

Speaking personally I'd love to see a video of the awning going up. It's become something of a running joke in the family that "we must put the awning up sometime", so a video of someone else doing it might be just the encouragement we need.
    rnc29

Post by rnc29 Sun 23 Jun 2013, 10:04 pm

yes its exactly the same colour coding and it matches the front door section for size but itdoes not have zips, it has press studs on the top of it and three at the bottom, its defo part of the kit i have but just don't know its purpose.
    rnc29

Post by rnc29 Sun 23 Jun 2013, 10:09 pm

it took us 2 hours to do but now i have done it once, i think 30 mins max to put up, me and the wife are not the tallest so i advise on some mini ladders. peridot, even if it only helped one person it would be worthwhile, it may not be until next month though. i have original awning instructions which i think are also somewhere on this site via Google search.
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Sun 23 Jun 2013, 10:30 pm

rnc29 wrote:yes its exactly the same colour coding and it matches the front door section for size but itdoes not have zips, it has press studs on the top of it and three at the bottom, its defo part of the kit i have but just don't know its purpose.

You have got us scratching our heads scratch, is it exactly the same shape as the front section?
    Its not for making a separate sleeping area in the awning is it?
    No doubt Mr Itch will have an answer when he sees this.
    navver

Post by navver Sun 23 Jun 2013, 10:32 pm

Don't do it Peridot. There's no legal aid for divorce any more!!
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 23 Jun 2013, 10:51 pm

rnc29 wrote:Hi guys,

First full trip out in the dandy this weekend having bought last August. And having taken on the task of erecting the pvc awning, i was wondering if i should make a video. Various videos have helped us put the dandy up and was going to give something back to the little community. -).

On some side notes, i put the awning up but i am left with a front section size chunk of pvc with a window but have not got the foggiest idea what its for, its 3m ish wide by 2m ish high with window.
    any ideas??

also im missing a bed section roof pole and was gonna ring riva dandy unless any of you kind peeps can help me out with suggestions or spares..( i will pay).

also need velcro and a groundsheet.

anyway enough of my waffle, any help would be gratefully accepted. let me know if you think the awning video would be welcomed.

ta

Yes a video why not. At worst we can play it when not camping and scoff at that rather than live people putting up awnings.

A 3.m by 2m piece with a window. Only if it has 5 sides and you have a spare door. Put it on the video or send a photo please.

For the roof pole just get the ends or sections like the end and rivet to a standard tent pole. Failing that if you are coming over from the dark side for something Riva is worth a visit.
     If not I'd imagine the postage is prohibitive PM me if you want I may be over in Bfd Thurs or Fri if so I'll deliver.

Brilliant thought I'd posted this about an hour and a half ago must have just previewed it. Nice when you don't lose posts like that.

No my only guess was a spare door. Friday afternoon at Wigan and an extra bit got packed just not quite finished.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Destiny awning video and a bit of help. Empty Correcting Error

Post by Tow Itch Sun 23 Jun 2013, 10:58 pm

rnc29 wrote:it took us 2 hours to do but now i have done it once, i think 30 mins max to put up, me and the wife are not the tallest so i advise on some mini ladders. peridot, even if it only helped one person it would be worthwhile, it may not be until next month though. i have original awning instructions which i think are also somewhere on this site via Google search.

You did leave the front legs as short as possible didn't you?

I was gobsmacked at how many people colour code the poles. 

The three spars that are top and sides are different from the two mid supports.

The sides are shorter than the centre pole and not a clip.

The only confusion can be on the gable end where the left side is shorter, so I just think "it has a bit left out." (ouch)

Easier than six rolls of electricians tape.

The only confusion can be on the gable end where the left side is shorter, so I just think "it has a bit left out." (ouch)

Embarrassed by this got two things mixed up. I used to have to use earplugs for work and still use them for motorcycling. Swapping from ear to ear isn't a good idea and rather than mark them L & R it was easier to bite a bit out of one. The left one as explained. How I've mixed this up with the poles I have no idea. As facing the Dandy the left hand side has the longer bed so it also has the longer pole.

Last edited by Tow Itch on Sun 09 Mar 2014, 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Sun 23 Jun 2013, 11:15 pm

navver wrote:Don't do it Peridot. There's no legal aid for divorce any more!!

Destiny awning video and a bit of help. 1705467399

Yes, I think that's what's putting us both off.

We put down the Destiny for the first time in the rain today and I can tell you that it did not make for harmonious relationships.

The cunning plan of one party keeping the roof taut while the other drops the front and back walls failed miserably and it's quite amazing how much water can flow off that large roof straight into the carefully packed camper.

After much screaming & shouting (well we've all got to take our turn at entertaining the other campers on site Smile), we concluded that a slightly more cunning plan might be to buy a long-handled squeege or mop to clear the bulk of the water off the roof before we pack up wet in the future.
    navver

Post by navver Sun 23 Jun 2013, 11:36 pm

peridot wrote:

We put down the Destiny for the first time in the rain today and I can tell you that it did not make for harmonious relationships.

The cunning plan of one party keeping the roof taut while the other drops the front and back walls failed miserably and it's quite amazing how much water can flow off that large roof straight into the carefully packed camper.

After much screaming & shouting (well we've all got to take our turn at entertaining the other campers on site Smile), we concluded that a slightly more cunning plan might be to buy a long-handled squeege or mop to clear the bulk of the water off the roof before we pack up wet in the future.

You should have videod it for us. We might have had a good laugh err.. learned something from it
    Lulli22
    Lulli22

Post by Lulli22 Sun 23 Jun 2013, 11:51 pm

Yes please, I would really appreciate a video showing how to erect the awning, as at the moment it seems a very, very daunting prospect!
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 23 Jun 2013, 11:59 pm

Lulli22 wrote:Yes please, I would really appreciate a video showing how to erect the awning, as at the moment it seems a very, very daunting prospect!

Do you have the written instructions for the awning?
    Lulli22
    Lulli22

Post by Lulli22 Mon 24 Jun 2013, 12:13 am

Yes, I do have them Tow Itch.  We put the Dandy up yesterday, but there is not enough room to put the awning up as well.  The complete awning is also very heavy and anyway it all seems a little bit scary at the moment. affraid
    fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard Mon 24 Jun 2013, 8:37 am

navver wrote:
    peridot wrote:

You should have videod it for us. We might have had a good laugh err.. learned something from it
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Mon 24 Jun 2013, 8:57 am

A video would be great, anything that helps other owners would be much appreciated. Destiny awning video and a bit of help. 184121345

Dandy awnings are heavy but once you've put your awning up once then they aren't so scary any more and are well worth the effort.

Post by Guest Mon 24 Jun 2013, 8:31 pm

we only put our Dandy awning up twice the first time was a nightmare as we lifted the awning over the middle poles then over the outer ones then someone on here think it was Helen ? said to roll it up lift it on and roll it out over the poles , That way was much easier .
    campwoman

Post by campwoman Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:12 am

Hi there
    Interesting stuff here - as someone who is about to go travelling with m'dandy for the first time, yeas a video on putting up the awning would be SO helpful!!! I saw someone said there were written instructions - can anyone point me at them please?
    Cheers
    Campwoman
    navver

Post by navver Wed 26 Jun 2013, 2:02 pm

There's this:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And there's this but bear in mind this is a slightly more modern awning than yours. These fix to the end of the dandy with bungees under the bed end boards. Yours probably has flaps on the dandy side which press stud to the awning. Your awning is shorter than the dandy, this one is the same length.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 02 May 2024, 1:00 am