Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

5 posters

Help Wanted. Is this a Dandy?

vilarestil

Help Wanted. Is this a Dandy? Empty Help Wanted. Is this a Dandy?

Post by vilarestil Mon 08 Jul 2013, 3:24 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Hi All,

I recently purchased this trailer tent off eBay. It was advertised as a Dandy, but is it? If it is, how old do you reckon it is? It has dark green sides and a white roof, but not the bright green I have seen on other photo's.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Adam
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Help Wanted. Is this a Dandy? Empty Re: Help Wanted. Is this a Dandy?

Post by mike Mon 08 Jul 2013, 5:06 pm

It looks like a dandy that has had some changes,the pvc sides may not be genuine and the window looks square at the bottom corners and they should be rounded,have you some interior pictures.The roof is tied down all wrong also.

mike
    vilarestil

Post by vilarestil Mon 08 Jul 2013, 6:33 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for the reply.

I have attached 2 more images that came off the eBay advert, but I can take some better ones if needed later on.

What is wrong with the roof?!

All the best,

Adam
    iancrimbo

Post by iancrimbo Mon 08 Jul 2013, 10:06 pm

it certainly looks like a dandy, but possibly with some mods/repairs. as has been said the side may be a replacement covering, what sort of material and thickness is it? is the other side wall the same? the two windows on the other side wall loom like standard dandy 6 ones. I would guess it is early '80s. is the roof padded ie insulated? it should be. there should be a cord running along the edge in a pocket like a draw cord which should be pulled to tighten the roof over the walls, the cord is then secured under the bed ends on the outside. yours seems to be slack and hooked over button hooks along the wall. look at some other dandy sixes on here or google for examples. I saw this on ebay not long after I got mine. should be serviceable, lots of help on here and the web. Enjoy.
    navver

Post by navver Mon 08 Jul 2013, 10:26 pm

This video shows how to erect a dandy and tension the roof rope: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Mon 08 Jul 2013, 10:33 pm

Hello and Help Wanted. Is this a Dandy? 936075699  vilarestil

As iancrimbo has said there should be a cord threaded through the edge of the roof which you pull tight and tie to cleats at each end under the edge of the bed bases. There is also usually a couple of storm straps either side to help hold the roof down in high winds, ours are the black bungees seen in the picture below. One is not attached because of the skirt. The picture also shows the shape of the window as Mike was referring to. Hope this helps.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    vilarestil

Post by vilarestil Mon 08 Jul 2013, 11:04 pm

Hi All,

Many thanks for all the great responses so far!

Yes it does have the draw cord through each edge the roof, but I obviously haven't pulled it tight enough in that case. As you can see though, it does also have the bungee's which can be attached to the buttons running along the walls. Maybe an improvement?!

The wall material is definitely much thinner than the roof material. should this be the case on the originals or is it the same material as the roof? I would say the roof is insulated, or at least much thicker that the walls.

What are your thoughts regarding the interior? I have found a label on the inside of one of the storage areas under the seats to say that it's oak!

I would imagine that many of you saw this on eBay prior to me buying it and I got it for a very reasonable price so can't complain. It just needs a but of tlc inside and out and as long as it's waterproof (which I can't test in the current lovely weather), the wife and I are looking forward to giving it a try.

We've also had such a laugh just realising what it is that we've actually got, plus the reaction from friends & family, that it's almost paid for itself!

Is it unique & a keeper?

Keep sending your much appreciated thoughts.

All the best,

Adam
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Mon 08 Jul 2013, 11:37 pm

All Dandy roofs are insulated. 2 layers of PVC with a foam insulation in between.
    The earlier ones like both of ours only have single skin walls, but made of PVC too.
    Later ones which are referred to as insulated had the double skin on the walls too.

The cupboards look to match the end walls etc so probably are original. Ours doesn't have the drawer section between the kitchen unit and base unit but has a cupboard that folds down.

As for being unique and a keeper, all Dandy's are unique. There are not 2 the same.lol! 
    They are definitely keepers.Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 27 Apr 2024, 1:41 am