Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+5
peridot
Phoenix
Helen
mike
family_of_3
9 posters

Today is the day!!

family_of_3
    family_of_3

Today is the day!! Empty Today is the day!!

Post by family_of_3 Sat 13 Jul 2013, 3:44 pm

When hubby gets home from work we are loading the car and going for our first stay in "Tony".  Wooohooo... I cant wait.

We gave it a good sort through on wednesday and i took a few pics to share with you all Smile

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Today is the day!! Empty Re: Today is the day!!

Post by mike Sat 13 Jul 2013, 3:49 pm

Now that looks nice,hope you have a great time and take some pictures for us:D 
    family_of_3
    family_of_3

Post by family_of_3 Sat 13 Jul 2013, 4:01 pm

Thank you. I am soooo happy with it Very Happy I will be taking plenty of pics. Need one for my bed side table when we aren't staying in the dandy. Laughing Laughing Laughing 

I just wish I hadnt drank so much wine last night tho, as I am paying for it today and I just know I am going to forget something.lol
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sat 13 Jul 2013, 4:10 pm

Whit Woo ........ lovely, have a great first outing sunny 
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Sat 13 Jul 2013, 10:43 pm

Looking good.Very Happy 

Sounds like you have got your Dandy Grin.Laughing 

Hope you have a great first trip. Don't forget to pack the wine.Today is the day!! 2607158912 lol!
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Sun 14 Jul 2013, 1:59 pm

Hope you had a great time Smile 

The camper looks fab. Looking at the interior photos, I thought there was something unusual about the colour of the walls. Then I realised it was just the sunlight shining through - such an unusual sight that I'd forgotten what it looked like Cool 

family_of_3
    family_of_3

Post by family_of_3 Mon 15 Jul 2013, 10:05 pm

Thank you all, We have had a great time this weekend, so much so that we have booked to go back next weekend. Today is the day!! 2792229418  And we're even going to brave taking the dogs with us (as crackers as they are.lol)Smile

We all love the dandy, It is so cosy and way more comfortable that we had expected. I took a memory foam topper for mine and hubbys bed as I noticed a few people mention its something they cant camp without. And OMG how comfortable!! I'm going to get another one for our daughters bed. Also we did notice it got a little nippy at night (not bad for us adults but dont like the thought of my 3 year old getting cold) so we are now looking into insulation for when the cooler weather comes. Any advice on how to do that is very welcome. Very Happy 
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 16 Jul 2013, 9:18 am

I love my Dandy bed, I use a topper too Today is the day!! 184121345 Our dogs have all loved camping, we only have one now but he's a happy chappy when we're away.  Mike managed to insulate his Dandy, the details are here

You may have to lose the view out of the front windows, I use a convector heater when using EHU and it's lovely and warm inside but it also helps to stop condensation too on those chilly nights.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Tue 16 Jul 2013, 5:35 pm

family_of_3 wrote:Thank you all, We have had a great time this weekend, so much so that we have booked to go back next weekend. Today is the day!! 2792229418  And we're even going to brave taking the dogs with us (as crackers as they are.lol)Smile

We all love the dandy, It is so cosy and way more comfortable that we had expected. I took a memory foam topper for mine and hubbys bed as I noticed a few people mention its something they cant camp without. And OMG how comfortable!! I'm going to get another one for our daughters bed. Also we did notice it got a little nippy at night (not bad for us adults but dont like the thought of my 3 year old getting cold) so we are now looking into insulation for when the cooler weather comes.  Any advice on how to do that is very welcome. Very Happy 

I wasn't in the North west this weekend I was down near Chichester so temperatures might not have been similar (It was sweltering I would have melted but for the window being fully open) but if they were and you got a little nippy I'm lost for how to help you unless your speaking of the evening chill you can feel after a warm day.  Though I feel sure that you would have recognised that sensation.
    Because Dandys are of curtainside material that unlike canvas the wind can't blow through even "uninsulated" ones are so much warmer than other folding canvas.  Insulation tends to be for specific reasons: Used underbed to combat damp mattresses caused through condensation. Batwing insulation on older or much loved or modded Dandys that are used at colder times of year.
    Winterised Dandys were made with floor heaters and with the "Batwings" insulated with a double layer roof like sandwich of PVC and insulation. I'm a bit dubious of this as the original roofs had insulation to within 18" of the ends at the same time (or just before) winterised insulated sides were offered this was removed and single thickness "wall colour" sides were introduced. I think that the main purpose of the insulated "winterised" sides was to remove visible condensation from inside the Dandy. Look between the wooden wall and the single thickness roof ends for the level of condensation.
    The easiest way round a short term cold spell is a quick application of heat. If you use a EHU pitch then a convector heater is ideal or if not on an EHU the underfloor heater is fantastic. Do you have one of these?
    Without wanting to be beaten to death by you for interfering in your parenting you daughter might just be far more robust than you think. This isn't exactly comparable as it's babys and during the day but: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'd give things a few goes and see how you get on. If you have specific requirements then silvered foil bubbles or Kingspan can be used uner the bed and behind the side walls. As for insulating the batwings the easiest method is to upgrade. Let's see what you really need first though.
    family_of_3
    family_of_3

Post by family_of_3 Tue 16 Jul 2013, 10:40 pm

Hi & Thanks for the replies.

Mikes looks lovely helen, and I think you may have been one of the post I read recommending a topper Very Happy 

And thanks for that article tow Itch. Very interesting, One problem there is my daughter hates being wrapped up so having the dandy at a regular temp is the way to go for us.lol. We are going to take our oil filled radiator/fan heater this weekend in case the temp does drop again. It is funny how it was so lovely and warm where you where and cooler where we where. That said it could have been the same, I do feel the cold a lot more than my hubby so maybe it was just me and my rubbish circulation! Either way I'd sleep a lot better knowing the temp wasnt going to fluctuate to much when we are asleep. I was up all night checking little un was warm enough and was gutted in the morning when she jumped into our bed for cuddles and her little arms felt like ice blocks.

We will be insulating the sideboards and bed base for sure but will hold off the wings as you recommend and see how we get on with a heater.

Thanks again
    Deb Smile
    family_of_3
    family_of_3

Post by family_of_3 Tue 16 Jul 2013, 10:43 pm

Ps. Sorry tow itch, didnt answer your question about underfloor heaters. Yes we have one of those. Not sure how to use it mind.lol. Should these be serviced or anything?
    jake001
    jake001

Post by jake001 Wed 17 Jul 2013, 8:54 am

There is a lot of information on the forum about Riviera heaters, including fitting and servicing instructions but the main problem for you is that the top grid of the heater, while protecting against direct contact with the heat exchanger tubes still gets quite hot, certainly too hot for toddler's (and pets) feet affraid I know this from brief contact with my own Shocked

When on EHU there is no problem, a 2Kw convector or fan heater will keep you toasty and the leccy is already paid for:lol!
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 17 Jul 2013, 11:29 am

I use my underfloor heater even with the dog and granddaughter, the dog stays away from it when it's on and we only put it on when Evie has gone to sleep as that's when it starts to get nippy. Obviously if we're on EHU we use the convector and save our gas Very Happy 
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Wed 17 Jul 2013, 12:07 pm

If on EHU the preferred tool is a convector heater. Thermostatically controlled and silent. Fan heaters tend to be too noisy and qil filled radiators are heavy and don't have the required output in winter.
    Jake and Helen seem to have summed up the limitations of the underfloor heater, this covers most of the servicing or use issues: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

To use it is just positioning the knob on the ignition setting then pressing it down to open up the gas flow (For many seconds on first use as there is no gas in the supply line) pressing the piezo igniter till the gas ignites. The knob is then held down for a few seconds till the thermocouple warms up then the heat selector can gradually be increased.

Full instructions for use:

Note the cleaning of the burners with an air jet mentioned in the linked piece is a service item in addition to the general cleaning mentioned in the instructions for use.
    navver

Post by navver Wed 17 Jul 2013, 3:53 pm

Hi Towitch, the output of 2kW you mention in that piece is actually the input. That explains why it's not as hot as your 2kW electric convector.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Thu 18 Jul 2013, 11:48 am

navver wrote:Hi Towitch, the output of 2kW you mention in that piece is actually the input. That explains why it's not as hot as your 2kW electric convector.

I was about to have a strop about this. "Of course all items quote input not output." "What were it's energy losses other than heat, 1/2 a watt of light?"
    Then I realised that though within an outer box the heater is semi external to the Dandy and further thought about the big heat loss the exhaust where the electrical heater isn't venting to the outside.

Lucky I don't strop often if it results in me missing the point as badly as that.
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Fri 19 Jul 2013, 12:07 am

Today is the day!! 2792229418 great to see your baby she looks great  just a cheat if you make your bed up before you fold her down to go on your trip it is one less job to do when you get there and there for more Today is the day!! 3943490063 Today is the day!! 3943490063 Today is the day!! 3943490063  time Today is the day!! 3462454224 Today is the day!! 3462454224 Today is the day!! 3462454224
    navver

Post by navver Fri 19 Jul 2013, 4:23 pm

Caz I keep seeing people leave beds made up but doesn't this squash the mattresses when you bolt the side panel down over them. Mine is quite a tight fit with just the mattress.
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Fri 19 Jul 2013, 6:08 pm

flower no not really I have found mine wont latch down with a sleeping bag but does with duvet , I don't include the pillows they are put in plastic bags(clear ones as it has been known that if in black bin bags they have been thrown affraid  ) used to protect anything else have packed Today is the day!! 3517506835 Today is the day!! 3517506835

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 1:03 pm