Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+3
sunflowergs
jake001
Tow Itch
7 posters

Flogging A Dead Horse

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Flogging A Dead Horse Empty Flogging A Dead Horse

Post by Tow Itch Sun 04 Aug 2013, 8:54 am

Is it the effects of the recession or it's sales by all the muppets who got conned into "staycations" being a way to save money then discovering they hated camping? Whatever it is if you regularly Dandy watch on eBay then you have to have noticed that Dandys aren't fetching what they were.
    So what do you do when your Dandy doesn't get a bid over your reserve or you have a buy it now price and no one wants to pay that?
    How many times do you re list on eBay. There must be at least 4 Dandys that are being constantly re listed.
    What should they do: Accept less. Keep on re listing. Forget it till next year. A new marketing strategy. Have an "accident" whilst away and ensure that the camping equipment that is destroyed in the conflagration is insured as well.

So go on what is your idea?
    jake001
    jake001

Flogging A Dead Horse Empty Re: Flogging A Dead Horse

Post by jake001 Sun 04 Aug 2013, 10:52 am

Wish that I hadn't bought mine in feb last year Crying or Very sad, I could buy two now Shocked 
    sunflowergs

Post by sunflowergs Sun 04 Aug 2013, 12:39 pm

I.suppose.it.depends.how.badly.you.need.to.sell.your.Dandy...Like.all.stuff.for.sale.its.only.worth.
    what.someone.is.prepared.to.pay.for.it..also.theres.not.much.that.doesnt.depreciate.over.time.
    maybe.the.price.of.Dandys.reflects.the.current.holidaying.trends.with.fewer.people.camping.
    Whatever.the.reason,we.think.our.Dandy.was.a.real.steal...we.have.had.4.trips.away.this.year.
    already.with.more.to.come,and.by.the.end.of.the.season.i.reckon.we.will.have.paid.very.little
    for.a.night.away.
    navver

Post by navver Sun 04 Aug 2013, 2:22 pm

I guess early in the year there were lots keen to buy and very few for sale so prices went high. Now most of those looking have bought one and there are still loads for sale so prices have plummetted. I guess the best thing to do is hold on until next spring and sell then.

Better still, go out and buy several at bargain prices then sell on next spring.

Dandies are rather unique in the camping world. Most people either love or hate them. I fear they are considered too basic and old fashioned looking for todays glampers. The flashy designer looks and facilities of the newer trailer tents and folding campers seem to hypnotise folks into not seeing the incredible practicality, robustness and long life of dandies.

Either that or the PVC fumes have got to us and we're not seeing it.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 04 Aug 2013, 2:49 pm

I'd take it off the market for a while, perhaps give it a bit of a makeover using soft furnishings (without removing the originals) and then wait ...... perhaps put it back on early in the year when there aren't many Dandys for sale ........ our Dandy costs nothing to keep as it just sits on the drive ....... probably the same for most owners.
    fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard Sun 04 Aug 2013, 3:16 pm

If mine doesn't go, it will sit on drive till next year, may reduce it slightly but will not give it away. Pete
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 04 Aug 2013, 3:31 pm

Best thing you can do Pete, people tend to wonder what's up with it if it's relisted several times, even when it's just the market and the Dandy's sound.
    bedwok
    bedwok

Post by bedwok Sun 04 Aug 2013, 4:09 pm

Being a regular Ebay user I have noticed over the years how lots of things seem to work for us. For eg when we 1st started selling items no longer wanted we would often put a reserve on ! Much of the time these items did not sell ! However when we relistested the items 9 times out of ten they sold for more than we had set the reserve at on the previous listing. On one occasion I put on a camera with a buy it now for 15 quid....no sale. The day it ended we re listed with no reserve and it sold for 43 quid. That's just one example but this has happened many times most notably a campervan I put on at 3000 buy it now.....no sale. I re listed with a 99p start and drew 3750 for it !! Bonus. You can always remove the item I suppose if it didn't reach the price you wanted but I have never had to do this myself. I would say start low get the interest and get people bidding !!
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 04 Aug 2013, 4:18 pm

fearful wizard wrote:If mine doesn't go, it will sit on drive till next year, may reduce it slightly but will not give it away. Pete

Pete is yours on eBay at the moment?
    I had a quick look at your piece saying that you are selling up but saw no link to an ad.
    If your is for sale and particularly if yours is for sale and has been re listed then I meant no offence nor insult. I was just puzzled at the Dandys being continually re listed. I thought that they must be doing themselves no favours.
    sunflowergs

Post by sunflowergs Sun 04 Aug 2013, 4:24 pm

Totally.agree.bedwok....I.recently.listed.my.car.with.a.B.I.N.price.and.a.reserve..result.was.it.did.not.sell....when.i.relisted.it.with.no.buy.it.now.or.reserve.the.interest.was.double.and.we.sold.it.for.my
    original.B.I.N.price.
    I.have.just.viewed.all.the.dandys.listed.on.ebay.and.there.are.some.great.items,but.most.have.
    B.I.N.s..with.a.bit.of.careful.listing.i.think.they.could.sell.for.something.like.their.true.value.
    fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard Sun 04 Aug 2013, 5:02 pm

Hi tow itch
    Yep on eBay at the moment, i know its more than the other Dandy's are fetching,
    But i have done quite a lot of work over the last two years on her, and as i paid just a bit less than what i am asking so will keep her and use her if she doesn't sell, and reavertise next year. Pete

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 04 Aug 2013, 6:38 pm

That's great advice bedwok, we did the same with an old Landrover and got twice as much as we hoped for it. Flogging A Dead Horse 184121345 
    navver

Post by navver Sun 04 Aug 2013, 7:04 pm

How did we miss this one?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

But read the description carefully. Wonder who got had?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 10:10 pm