Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

4 posters

Dandy Designer Awning on a 4/5 or Delta

ChrisP
    ChrisP

Dandy Designer Awning on a 4/5 or Delta Empty Dandy Designer Awning on a 4/5 or Delta

Post by ChrisP Tue 03 Sep 2013, 9:44 pm

The Designer Awning is listed as 395cm and the Delta as 396cm. Has anyone fitted a Designer awning on a Delta or better still on a 4/5.

I am worried that even though the length is close, just one cm difference, there will be other differences in the shape, height or pole positions that will make the fit difficult or impossible.

I have a 4/5 that came with an ill-fitting third party awning and the porch awning I bought will also need a lot of changes to fit and is not very sturdy and is quite small.

I could arrange a test fit, but it is a long way to go if there is no hope.
    ChrisP
    ChrisP

Dandy Designer Awning on a 4/5 or Delta Empty Just found the reverse question.....always happens after one posts.......

Post by ChrisP Tue 03 Sep 2013, 9:58 pm

It seems that the reverse question has been asked before [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].....

The Delta or 4/5 is lower so I will have surplus PVC on the ground and may have trouble with the uprights at the front.

I would still value any comments
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Dandy Designer Awning on a 4/5 or Delta Empty Re: Dandy Designer Awning on a 4/5 or Delta

Post by Tow Itch Tue 03 Sep 2013, 10:05 pm

ChrisP wrote:The Designer Awning is listed as 395cm and the Delta as 396cm. Has anyone fitted a Designer awning on a Delta or better still on a 4/5.

I am worried that even though the length is close, just one cm difference, there will be other differences in the shape, height or pole positions that will make the fit difficult or impossible.

I have a 4/5 that came with an ill-fitting third party awning and the porch awning I bought will also need a lot of changes to fit and is not very sturdy and is quite small.

Well I can't deny that the numbers you are using are those on Riva's website but if you think about it if the tub is 41cm wider how does a 1 cm smaller awning fit? I think Ian must have had a moment of number blindness.
    This is the project in reverse where Graham C fitted a Delta awning to a Discovery. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Now it's easier to cut off rather than add on but why not contact Graham. Not sure if he ended up buying a Discovery/Designer awning but if not you could both swap and if he has he could be a good source for a cheap Delta awning.

I see that you have found the thread. In the end Graham didn't find the length a problem.
    ChrisP
    ChrisP

Dandy Designer Awning on a 4/5 or Delta Empty Dandy Designer Awning on a 4/5 or Delta

Post by ChrisP Tue 03 Sep 2013, 11:42 pm

The figures were from the Riva website. I think you may have a point about the difference in tub widths. I think I will pass on this one. I don't want a third awning that doesn't quite fit......
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Dandy Designer Awning on a 4/5 or Delta Empty Re: Dandy Designer Awning on a 4/5 or Delta

Post by Tow Itch Tue 03 Sep 2013, 11:58 pm

It all depends what the price is and or if Graham got a Discovery awning. Try to see what happened there.
    How much was the Designer awning? If a keen price you might pass the offer on to others?
    ChrisP
    ChrisP

Post by ChrisP Wed 04 Sep 2013, 12:20 am

It was on Preloved [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

£200 and described as nearly new. I spoke to the guy on the phone and he seemed genuine. He was going to take some measurements tomorrow, but I have let him know I am not interested any more.

I have been looking at the awning that came with my 4/5 and thinking to try and get that to fit better. It has the advantage that I already have it, so it costs me nothing.

The one I already have, but have newer used other than to test it in my parents garden looks like this.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 04 Sep 2013, 10:23 am

We tried to use the old brochures from Riva/Dandy to create our information thread ...... it soon became apparent that they aren't entirely accurate and didn't add up ...... so we took a tape measure and created our own specification information here, we also included door height and opening widths for anyone wanting an alternative awing.

The alternative awning you have looks great ...... I'd use that and keep an eye out for the right Dandy awning Dandy Designer Awning on a 4/5 or Delta 3498837457 
    sonicboom70
    sonicboom70

Dandy Designer Awning on a 4/5 or Delta Empty trio awning

Post by sonicboom70 Wed 04 Sep 2013, 9:49 pm

Hi chris p there is a 1,2 trio awning the same as ours that is on ebay now,this fits our dandy 5 just tie edge of awning on inside roof bars of dandy trio dimentions are spot on check out my post pics Very Happy Very Happy
    not sure if this helps mate ?
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 04 Sep 2013, 10:07 pm

I think this is the one

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    sonicboom70
    sonicboom70

Post by sonicboom70 Thu 05 Sep 2013, 12:50 am

yes helen that's it ,it's the same make as ours and it look identical to ours it's the same one i'm 100% it is the one Very Happy Very Happy ours was off our esterl folding caravan Very Happy Very Happy .I have colour coded all our poles and use a strong guy line on awning. Make a hole in awning right next to the awning bead and thread guy line through in line with were poles go and tie on to roof poles inside dandy simple no hassle fasten and totally water proof Very Happy Very Happy .first i put an awning rail on dandy but it was to much hassle to put in each time affraid Mad that coursed to many arguments with me and the wife that is :lol3:plus it pegs out well to no prob as the pole legs are height adjustable Dandy Designer Awning on a 4/5 or Delta 2702329197 Dandy Designer Awning on a 4/5 or Delta 2702329197

Post by Guest Fri 06 Sep 2013, 8:53 pm

Tow Itch wrote:
    ChrisP wrote:The Designer Awning is listed as 395cm and the Delta as 396cm. Has anyone fitted a Designer awning on a Delta or better still on a 4/5.

Well I can't deny that the numbers you are using are those on Riva's website but if you think about it if the tub is 41cm wider how does a 1 cm smaller awning fit? I think Ian must have had a moment of number blindness.
    This is the project in reverse where Graham C fitted a Delta awning to a Discovery. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Now it's easier to cut off rather than add on but why not contact Graham. Not sure if he ended up buying a Discovery/Designer awning but if not you could both swap and if he has he could be a good source for a cheap Delta awning.

I see that you have found the thread. In the end Graham didn't find the length a problem.
      Graham here no i did not have a problem at all with the length with the Delta awning on my discovery at all as you can lower the front a bit and the sides still had about four inches on the ground i just had to extend the rubbers , I do now have a Discovery awning
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Fri 06 Sep 2013, 8:56 pm

The problem with putting a Designer awning on a Delta is that the awning would be the same width as a discovery ..... hence too wide for a Delta. Your picture of a Delta awning on a Discovery illustrates well the difference in size ....... only it would be the other way around so not really feasible Dandy Designer Awning on a 4/5 or Delta 3498837457

Congratulations on getting your Discovery awning Dandy Designer Awning on a 4/5 or Delta 184121345

Post by Guest Fri 06 Sep 2013, 9:05 pm

Yea only got it it a few weeks ago have not had time to try it yet hope to use it the end of this month when we go away for the weekend
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Fri 06 Sep 2013, 9:09 pm

You'll find that you have lots of extra awning room, have a great time Very Happy 

Post by Guest Fri 06 Sep 2013, 9:15 pm

We will have a good we always do lol , As soon as am happy with the awning i will resell the Delta one
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Fri 06 Sep 2013, 9:17 pm

If you do sell, why not consider offering it to the author of this thread - Chris P Laughing

Post by Guest Fri 06 Sep 2013, 9:33 pm

Well offer it on this site am sure it will sell quick as you know they don't come up for sale that often
    ChrisP
    ChrisP

Dandy Designer Awning on a 4/5 or Delta Empty Awning Colour....

Post by ChrisP Sun 08 Sep 2013, 6:23 pm

Mine is a brown and white(ish) Dandy, so I would be looking for one to match. The Preloved one that started this thread now has pictures. See [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 08 Sep 2013, 6:30 pm

Thanks for sharing the link Chris I'll put it in the for sale area, such a shame it won't work with yours Sad 
    ChrisP
    ChrisP

Dandy Designer Awning on a 4/5 or Delta Empty Awning etc..

Post by ChrisP Sun 08 Sep 2013, 6:43 pm

Hopefully it will find a good home. After being referred to Trio awnings I did have a little look on Ebay. The suggested one looked to be too wide, but I did find a smaller one [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. I got lucky with the bidding and bought it for just over £10. It will give me some poles to play with if nothing else. Once I have collected it, I will try all three awnings on my Dandy and see where I go from there.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 08 Sep 2013, 6:53 pm

Hi Chris I don't see how this one will work but wish you luck, fantastic price though so if it doesn't work you may be better waiting until spring and selling it on ,,,, would perhaps work with a 6 and a superb colour to go with one.
    sonicboom70
    sonicboom70

Post by sonicboom70 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 7:57 am

ChrisP wrote:Hopefully it will find a good home. After being referred to Trio awnings I did have a little look on Ebay. The suggested one looked to be too wide, but I did find a smaller one [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. I got lucky with the bidding and bought it for just over £10. It will give me some poles to play with if nothing else. Once I have collected it, I will try all three awnings on my Dandy and see where I go from there.
    Well done great buy chris p ,trio awnings fit ace and are amazing quality ,check out my post pics loads of room,happy days:D Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
    ChrisP
    ChrisP

Dandy Designer Awning on a 4/5 or Delta Empty It worked....

Post by ChrisP Sun 06 Oct 2013, 10:32 pm

and here is a shot from the front. This was before I had finished adjusting, so it is not quite as neat.

Looking at the picture I also forgot to fold back the roof after fitting my awning rail boards.

This is definitely the one for me for a long weekend with the family. The frame seems sturdy. The colour is even a good match.

It took a very long time to pitch as it came with extra poles and no instructions. I am not sure that all the poles were correct, but they worked well on the Dandy and that makes it correct for my use. Hopefully it will be quicker when I get to use it next year.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 03 May 2024, 1:59 am