Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

3 posters

Bike Rack for my Dandy Dart

stephenzfamily

Bike Rack for my Dandy Dart Empty Bike Rack for my Dandy Dart

Post by stephenzfamily Sun 12 Jan 2014, 4:37 pm

Hello, just purchased our new Dandy Dart, 4 berth, having it serviced for summer and we want to carry our bikes on top...has anyone done this, we can't locate a suitable bike rack, will we need to have a lid made...any thoughts / experiences would be greatly appreciated, thinking 2-3 cycles on it....thanks
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Bike Rack for my Dandy Dart Empty Re: Bike Rack for my Dandy Dart

Post by Tow Itch Sun 12 Jan 2014, 5:27 pm

Not exactly an awning question but no great problem.
    Ian (Smith proprietor Riva Leisure/Riva Dandy Sales) did make some bike rack/top box holders. I believe that they were something like this:
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Having spoken to him I think he was a bit concerned about encouraging overloading. The original 5's Designers/Discoverys were advertised with an unladen weight of just over 300Kg (6cwts) There was certainly some weight creep over the years and the Riva Designers/Discoverys were marketed with an unladen weight of 395Kg which doesn't need much loading to become 500Kg. Your Dart will be somewhere between 250Kg and 350Kg so you have a bit more latitude. Ian did always say that the frames are strong enough to take 750Kg suspension but that is another matter.
    You might try a call to see if he has anything in [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

We did have one member manufacture their own but hardly think that it was any lighter than Riva's frame.

See also [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If you are OK for  noseweight have you considered the tow ball plates that allow a carrier to slide on?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    stephenzfamily

Post by stephenzfamily Sun 12 Jan 2014, 6:35 pm

Hi, thank you so much, that's really helpful, we have a pal who's a mechanic, if we come up with something different I will share on here too, the weights are really useful, thanks again!
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Mon 13 Jan 2014, 8:52 am

Hi and Welcome  Bike Rack for my Dandy Dart 1066248140 

We have had a few who have carried bikes on Dandy's, the link below shows how  Very Happy 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 11:14 am