Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+4
Helen
navver
mike
Newtonheath1878
8 posters

No longer a Dandy less newbie

Newtonheath1878

No longer a Dandy less newbie Empty No longer a Dandy less newbie

Post by Newtonheath1878 Thu 03 Apr 2014, 12:45 pm

After a lot of looking and pondering we are buying a Destiny high side via Ian winterised and under floor heating, picking up next week. Should say I drive a 2ltr mondeo diesel, still have towing mirrors so weight and vision shouldn't be an issue.
    Newtonheath1878

No longer a Dandy less newbie Empty Stabilizer

Post by Newtonheath1878 Thu 03 Apr 2014, 2:55 pm

As addition to the above would anyone recommend fitting stabilizer to the trailer, if so which and where from, didn't think snaking would be an issue but read forum mainly on later model Destiny with toilet, I don't want to take any risks, car is 2010 if that makes any difference.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

No longer a Dandy less newbie Empty Re: No longer a Dandy less newbie

Post by mike Thu 03 Apr 2014, 3:29 pm

Newtonheath1878 wrote:As addition to the above would anyone recommend fitting stabilizer to the trailer, if so which and where from, didn't think snaking would be an issue but read forum mainly on later model Destiny with toilet, I don't want to take any risks, car is 2010 if that makes any difference.

Always a hotly disputed topic on here,i say if you have nothing against them then fit one it will do no harm and may do some good,these are said to be the best [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but check fitting ect first
    navver

Post by navver Thu 03 Apr 2014, 9:22 pm

Well done, I'm guessing it's this one

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It does look good and I'm sure that you will appreciate the extra room and storage it has over the designer. Not to mention the 4 burner cooker.

As to a stabiliser, the Mondeo is well above what you need to tow it, so it should be good and stable. The later model toilet destinies are longer and considerably heavier so will be less inherently stable. However, the alko hitch is very easy to use and does smooth everything out. I had one on the caravan and also tow with a Mondeo. I'm sure it stopped a lot of the fore and aft pitching as well making for a more comfortable ride.

I get the feeling that in the caravans it's relatively easy to get the weight over the axle, but in folding campers it's not as there is so much less floor space when folded. When FCs were small and light it didn't matter but now they are up to caravan weights and lengths it does. My impression is that a 1000kg, 11'6" long toilet destiny is much less stable than a 1000kg, 11'6" long caravan due to the inferior weight distribution.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Fri 04 Apr 2014, 8:08 am

That didn't take long ....... congratulations on finding your Dandy  No longer a Dandy less newbie 2792229418 No longer a Dandy less newbie 2792229418 No longer a Dandy less newbie 2792229418 
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Fri 04 Apr 2014, 8:45 am

Welcome to the Destiny Highsiders Club  cheers 

I doubt very much that you'll have any issues towing that combination.

If you did want the additional reassurance of a stabiliser the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is a cheap but effective option.

Happy camping  Very Happy
    Newtonheath1878

No longer a Dandy less newbie Empty Yes that the one

Post by Newtonheath1878 Fri 04 Apr 2014, 8:57 am

Yes that's our Dandy, cant wait to pick it up and start using it, I guess ill re join the Caravan Club to get access to their sites and get some insurance sorted out. I had a slight chance of getting a smaller model in the garage but I am kidding myself to think ill ever get the destiny in with all the junk accumulated over the years.
    Newtonheath1878

No longer a Dandy less newbie Empty Insurance breakdown cover and club membership

Post by Newtonheath1878 Tue 08 Apr 2014, 10:25 am

Just renewed car insurance and taken out insurance, breakdown cover and Caravan Club membership out. It worked out cheaper joining CC and taking out policies through them than separate policies elsewhere, one company quoted me £155 breakdown cover only. All I need to do now is collect and get started.
    Newtonheath1878

No longer a Dandy less newbie Empty Dandy collected !!!!

Post by Newtonheath1878 Sun 13 Apr 2014, 5:36 pm

Picked up Destiny from Ian in Wigan yesterday via Newcastle next to Stoke, where I collected an alko 1300 stabiliser fitted by Ian for me many thanks. First night out took about 2 hours getting it up in wind argueing about what he said and working out reverse order ( we only watched it coming down ) site not level forgot blocks, couldn't get gas to work. We got it up but I am sure it was not correct order, No probs towing getting 44 ish to gallon, 51 going up. Took about 40 mins to come down this morning. Parked in drive now wheel lock on and hitch lock just bought on ebay.
    My better half who it must be said was proved right in all the arguments (she says its because I am left handed) has named our Destiny Lotty for some reason.
    It can only get easier I hope.

navver

Post by navver Sun 13 Apr 2014, 7:28 pm

Well done. First time up is bound to take a while, First time up with ours my wife tripped over the towbar and we spent a couple of hours in A&E.

When it's windy, point the fixed roof end (destiny tow bar end) into the wind. you can turn it once it's erected.

Basically you need one person each side, both doing the same thing.
    Level trailer with steadies & chocks etc
    Lift roof over onto ground (on top of trailer cover to keep it clean) so it will lift easily.
    String on, left bed over, hook bed supports in.
    String on right bed over, hook bed supports in.
    Release string, push roof support in and locate.
    Lift left bed sideboard, slot in wing wall & bungee
    Lift right bed sideboard, slot in wing wall & bungee
    Open door and raise door wall
    Using roof bar, raise window wall and hook other end of bar into door wall.
    Pull roof straight and bungee
    Pull roof ropes tight and fasten

Putting Mr Sheen or silicon spray on the inside of the roof helps it slide easily over the roof supports.
    Try and keep the roof under control as you work. Try not to let it sag too much.

Practice a few times at home and it will get a lot easier.
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Sun 13 Apr 2014, 7:47 pm

No longer a Dandy less newbie 2792229418 No longer a Dandy less newbie 2792229418 have fun and we love photos No longer a Dandy less newbie 2792229418 No longer a Dandy less newbie 2792229418 
    bigmammab2002
    bigmammab2002

No longer a Dandy less newbie Empty re no longer a dandyless newbie

Post by bigmammab2002 Tue 15 Apr 2014, 9:55 pm

Congrats on getting the Dandy. We pick ours up on the 10th can't wait. I showed hubby your post he might listen to me when we put ours up.
     lol! 
    Newtonheath1878

No longer a Dandy less newbie Empty Gas problem sorted

Post by Newtonheath1878 Sat 19 Apr 2014, 5:52 pm

decided to exchange almost empty bottle for full at local Go Outdoors and realised why the gas hadn't worked on Saturday night, yes I forgot to turn it on cant believe I made yet another stupid mistake.
    Newtonheath1878

Post by Newtonheath1878 Sun 27 Apr 2014, 9:17 pm

Spent 2 nights at Pembrey CC site everything worked fine and Lotty went up with no issues at all. Bought and used an oil radiator,I'm getting old now, which worked a treat, heavy rain both nights but no problem at all. The only issue we had was taking her down took longer than expected and wind was catching roof until we moved PVC forward before raising back bed. Debbie now wants us to fit a new carpet so I'll be searching threads for tips but not for a few days very happy with lotty hope we have a few happy years with her.
    navver

Post by navver Mon 28 Apr 2014, 8:33 pm

Glad you enjoyed it. Not too much of a come down from a caravan is it. Somehow I find it more enjoyable to tow and the much lower cost is the icing on the cake.

In high wind, point the fixed roof end into the wind. You can move the dandy around when it is erected to achieve this.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 28 Apr 2014, 9:52 pm

Carpet and flooring themes [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Your search for and acquisition of a Dandy has amused me no end. I was very keen for you to see Dandys of all forms and somehow had a suspicion that you would end up with some model of Destiny. The slightly harder erection balanced by the lack of a need to set up the awning.
    Unless you still have a lot of kit in your garage then I thought the Destiny could be accommodated but you say that you don't have sufficient room.
    So pray tell where is the Destiny going, are you not back to square one and needing storage?
    Newtonheath1878

No longer a Dandy less newbie Empty Storeage

Post by Newtonheath1878 Wed 30 Apr 2014, 9:21 pm

Storeage will have to be outside my garage there is no way its ever going to fit inside. Our house is 9 years old and my garage is not next to the house but is situated a few yards away in a Cul de sac with 3 garages either side and a parking area in front of each garage big enough for a large car which is where our Destiny lives, I understand that there would not be an issue storing outdoors or is this incorrect. I am thinking of covering with tarpaulin in the winter and maybe getting axle stands.
    Stupidly when I sold the caravan I let everything go with it and we are having to replace them now. One day ill hire a skip and just empty the loft and garage apart from the fishing gear.
    We are very happy with our Destiny the room inside its just right for us and it came with an awning rail and Towsure porch awning which we haven't attempted to put up yet as we are still coming to terms putting the Dandy up and down. Not sure how the awning rail will work its a straight piece of wood with a number of hooks on it, as the roof is A shaped don't quite see how it works.

Last edited by Newtonheath1878 on Wed 30 Apr 2014, 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add and change statements)
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Wed 30 Apr 2014, 10:25 pm

If you can post a picture of the awning rail arrangement sometime I'd appreciate it. I need to add one to mine and haven't quite figured out how to go about it. In addition to needing the channel for the canvas to attach to, my porch awning has some load bearing pads that need to rest against the side of the camper (I assume this is fairly standard). At the upper part of the Dandy is PVC over a metal frame it will need some additional support for these pads. I'm thinking a length of timber fixed to the Dandy frame members, with the standard awning rail screwed to the top of it, but would like to see what others have done.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 6:28 pm