Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+4
Helen
navver
mike
mike a
8 posters

very odd wear on one tyre

mike a

very odd wear on one tyre Empty very odd wear on one tyre

Post by mike a Sun 20 Apr 2014, 10:28 am

Hello, I am a proud new owner of a late 90's designer, I had it delivered to my house and put it up on the drive immediately (and excitedly) I have done some minor works on it since then only folding it down last weekend.
    It was yesterday I decided to crawl under it to have a really good look at the underside and it is in really nice condition,,,,,but.....  when checking the tyre pressures for our upcoming fist trip in her i noticed the offside tyre has such a large wear patch I was shocked! I can only assume the brakes locked while towing ? yet the nearside seems absolutely fine.
    I jacked up the damaged trye side and gave the wheel a spin, no resistance and spins freely.
    Please any suggestions or help from those more experienced would be very appreciated.
    Mike a
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

very odd wear on one tyre Empty Re: very odd wear on one tyre

Post by mike Sun 20 Apr 2014, 10:41 am

mike a wrote:Hello, I am a proud new owner of a late 90's designer, I had it delivered to my house and put it up on the drive immediately (and excitedly) I have done some minor works on it since then only folding it down last weekend.
    It was yesterday I decided to crawl under it to have a really good look at the underside and it is in really nice condition,,,,,but.....  when checking the tyre pressures for our upcoming fist trip in her i noticed the offside tyre has such a large wear patch I was shocked! I can only assume the brakes locked while towing ? yet the nearside seems absolutely fine.
    I jacked up the damaged trye side and gave the wheel a spin, no resistance and spins freely.
    Please any suggestions or help from those more experienced would be very appreciated.
    Mike a

very odd wear on one tyre 1217042266 

A couple of thoughts spring to mind,left stood too long and the tyre developed a weakness in that flat spot,or check the brakes are working on that side,they may have locked up at some time and now been freed off to hide it.
    navver

Post by navver Sun 20 Apr 2014, 3:13 pm

Welcome to the forum and the dandy world.

On mine, the hitch shiny tube bit under the bellows corroded/got dirty and didn't slide in and out smoothly when the overrun brakes operated resulting in the brakes binding and overheating. Had I not discovered this sooner and carried on towing, the wheel could have locked I guess, especially so if I had a big powerful car.

By delivered do you mean it was towed or was it on a trailer.
    mike a

Post by mike a Sun 20 Apr 2014, 6:10 pm

navver wrote:Welcome to the forum and the dandy world.

On mine, the hitch shiny tube bit under the bellows corroded/got dirty and didn't slide in and out smoothly when the overrun brakes operated resulting in the brakes binding and overheating. Had I not discovered this sooner and carried on towing, the wheel could have locked I guess, especially so if I had a big powerful car.

By delivered do you mean it was towed or was it on a trailer.

Hi thanks for the advice. It was delivered by being towed, I will have a look at the bits you mentioned, do you think it might be worth an overall service at a trailer place near me ? for peace of mind, or am I would I be wasting my money on that? thanks Mike
    mike a

Post by mike a Sun 20 Apr 2014, 6:55 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I hope I have managed to upload the photo I took so you can see the tyre , regards Mike a
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 20 Apr 2014, 8:03 pm

My hubby's just had a look at the picture and he thinks it may have been sat in something corrosive as the rubber looks like it's rotted rather than been caused by friction wear, he thinks that If it had been dragged off (locked brakes) the whole pattern would have gone, also both sides would have been affected.

perhaps just one tyre was sat in a pool of something ..... maybe even a leaking leisure batter sat near it over winter  Suspect 
    navver

Post by navver Sun 20 Apr 2014, 9:01 pm

That's my thoughts too Helen.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 20 Apr 2014, 9:02 pm

Helen wrote:My hubby's just had a look at the picture and he thinks it may have been sat in something corrosive as the rubber looks like it's rotted rather than been caused by friction wear, he thinks that If it had been dragged off (locked brakes) the whole pattern would have gone, also both sides would have been affected.

perhaps just one tyre was sat in a pool of something ..... maybe even a leaking leisure batter sat near it over winter  Suspect 

Yes that was not caused by friction.

Are the tyres crossplys or bias belted? Read the tyre sidewall The measurement will be something like 520/10 or 145/80 B 10 there might be nothing after 145 if the tyre was old enough and was a "standard" 82 profile.
    It may be a decent long term investment to buy all new tyres. Radials are slightly less tall but run well and are necessary if you ever go over the water and want to tow at French speeds.
    See
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Tue 22 Apr 2014, 12:42 am

very odd wear on one tyre 1217042266 very odd wear on one tyre 1217042266 good picture I had all my tyres changed just for a peice of mind  very odd wear on one tyre 1217042266  very odd wear on one tyre 1217042266 
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Wed 23 Apr 2014, 5:31 pm

Out of interest mike a, what manufacturer's name is on the tyres?

Damage aside, it doesn't look like any tyre I've seen before.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Wed 23 Apr 2014, 11:24 pm

peridot wrote:
    Out of interest mike a, what manufacturer's name is on the tyres?

Damage aside, it doesn't look like any tyre I've seen before.

I'd say it's a cross ply or less likely bias belted. It's the high tread above the rounded  balloon of the tyre compared to the more unitary profile of a radial.

I'm assuming you're young enough not to have seen cross plys, or do you have a deeper insight?
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Thu 24 Apr 2014, 12:07 am

Only young enough not to recall very well what they look like I'm afraid  Very Happy 

I did work for a tyre manufacturer for a number of years but I was usually crawling around on the floor under the machines with a face full of carbon black, trying to fix the damn machines rather than paying attention to the construction methods. They were all radials though.

It was the thread construction that I thought looked like something off a kid's toy rather than a roadworthy vehicle.
    jake001
    jake001

Post by jake001 Thu 24 Apr 2014, 8:58 am

Check the pattern on this:-

As fitted to my Discovery 2 years ago  Very Happy
    mike a

Post by mike a Thu 24 Apr 2014, 9:58 pm

Deestone d-100 is what is on the side wall it says 8 ply "light truck" also. " new ones on order at my local tyre place to be fitted this weekend! It's all a learning curve for me I'm afraid, but glad to finally have our own dandy, I have admired the practicality of them for a while.
    I'm very grateful to you all for the advice on this and all the info on this site too. My wife and I plan to be Dandy owners for years.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 6:44 pm