Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

4 posters

Thinking of buying a Dandy Dart......

bobernie

Thinking of buying a Dandy Dart...... Empty Thinking of buying a Dandy Dart......

Post by bobernie Sun 27 Jul 2014, 9:40 pm

Hello all you Dandy-iers, we are thinking of buying a used Dandy Dart, and would welcome any advice or things to look out for. Seen a lovely one on ebay. finishing in a couple of days, so speedy replies would be great, thanks!!
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Thinking of buying a Dandy Dart...... Empty Re: Thinking of buying a Dandy Dart......

Post by Tow Itch Sun 27 Jul 2014, 11:46 pm

Hello and welcome.
    I've just copied this previous response to a similar question. This should start you off but please ask if you have more questions.

Tow Itch wrote:Hello Charlie

Welcome to the club.

My standard thoughts on selecting a Dandy.
    Look at a few before you buy. You learn to see what is right and what isn't 
    Just as not all Reliants are Robins even though many think they are not all Dandys are Darts. The Dart or 4 is 4' in width plus wheels there is a Delta at 4' 10" and the Discovery and Designer at 5'10" one other reason for looking is because of this. 4'10" is a lot more spacious than 4' and 5'10 is another world altogether.
    The unladen weight does creep up a bit as they get larger but they all top out at 500Kg gross.
    Towing a Designer is 2/10ths of bugger all more complicated than towing a Dart. You can just feel an increase in presence but as with all of these rear entry Dandys they are remarkably stable. You will never get a twitch out of one. You can read the threads on dynamics if you wish but the stability of the smaller Dandys is no boast.
    Towing with a small car. Dandys were designed to be towed with small cars. There are a few towed with classic Minis. I shall be seeing someone next week in your neck of the woods who tows with a classic Mini. They are towed with 2CVs Reliants etc. Cazz and Wayne tow a 5 with a classic VW type3. The 1991 brochure says that you would need at least (Mini) Metro to tow a Destiny. The Destiny at that time was as per a 6.
    Local trike company from near me and their display at the BMF Rally. Guess what else you can tow a Dandy with?
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Buying an old one? The older ones with the more rounded roof profile are slightly easier to erect the awnings but the awnings are slightly smaller.

Options: The options amount to size, awning, internal heater and insulated walls, rarer is the option of skirts. Though there are quite a few one offs.

Is a Dandy for you? You must attempt to erect a Dandy. Though probably the strongest folding camper and certainly the one with the longest lifespan they are not the lightest nor the easiest to erect. Gas struts on the beds help and though it's not been done yet as Caz Numbers muses if a 6 can have gas struts to lift the wall why not the others? 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    navver

Thinking of buying a Dandy Dart...... Empty Re: Thinking of buying a Dandy Dart......

Post by navver Mon 28 Jul 2014, 12:20 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I think I know the one you mean and it does look good doesn't it.
    bobernie

Thinking of buying a Dandy Dart...... Empty Going going nearly gone pricey

Post by bobernie Mon 28 Jul 2014, 7:16 am

Hi and thanks for your responses. Got up this morning to see bids have started on the one we had our eye on, so its gonna get pricey. I really really want one now, they just look perfect for what we want. Weekends away would be easy we think with a Dart. We hard a huge luxurious tent up til this year, but the rigmarole of packing it all up and remembering everything was getting too much. We just want to hook and go. So wish us luck with our search, got a feeling we will end up spending more for one than we first thought, but its worth it, we hope!!!Thinking of buying a Dandy Dart...... 115684958 
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Mon 28 Jul 2014, 1:52 pm

Thinking of buying a Dandy Dart...... 1217042266 

It will be worth it  Very Happy 
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 28 Jul 2014, 4:03 pm

bobernie wrote:Hi and thanks for your responses. Got up this morning to see bids have started on the one we had our eye on, so its gonna get pricey. I really really want one now, they just look perfect for what we want. Weekends away would be easy we think with a Dart. We hard a huge luxurious tent up til this year, but the rigmarole of packing it all up and remembering everything was getting too much. We just want to hook and go. So wish us luck with our search, got a feeling we will end up spending more for one than we first thought, but its worth it, we hope!!!Thinking of buying a Dandy Dart...... 115684958 

It depends on if you must have that one. I'm guessing you're looking at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dandy-4-Berth-Trailer-Tent-/231290742016?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_HikingCamping_Tents_JN&hash=item35da00a500 but that price was his starting price anyway. Not that I think they are in any way inferior but I'd not buy a Brown Dandy for much above that price because I've never seen one sell for £1,000.00 There is a special for sale too at £1,000.00 which I doubt anyone will offer. The +Ve is the ends are insulated too the -VE is the heater is covered at the moment, can it be made useable without destroying the floor covering. Also I'd check they are not using a library photo for the interior. If not, an insulated Dandy with a brown interior will be very dark, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Why no proper interior pics if you've just had it professionally reupholstered. Winterised Dandys are usually white inside but I have seen brown used if so it will be dark. 
    Also the leaf marks on this one will actually be tyre marks that can't be removed. Well that's what I'd guess.

I'd reiterate try and look at a couple preferably of different sizes. 
    From what you said about wanting the ease of being able to just put up and down with no rigmarole. Dandys are reasonably quick to erect or collapse but there are still the joys of packing.
    How much space do you want? As I've said each increase in size becomes more spacious but if you don't mind brown the 6's are spacious enough to not need the awning erecting and can be found very cheaply. Awnings though not as bad as some make out take longer than the Dandy to erect.
    navver

Post by navver Mon 28 Jul 2014, 7:57 pm

Having had a caravan and a tent I find the dandy the easiest to up and go. The tent and all the paraphernalia needs putting away when we get home and then getting out again.

The caravan needs everything taking out to it to put in the cupboards & drawers and same when we get home.

The dandy packs with everything camping related in or on it so need not be opened when we get home or before going away. Clothes, food and the fridge all get packed in the car which is very simple to do. We just have a holdall each.

The caravan is the best to live in with cassette toilet, washbasin, hot and cold water, shower etc but is a real drag (excuse pun) to tow and the packing takes ages. The cost of storage, insurance, servicing & depreciation are all high.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 09 May 2024, 2:27 pm