Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Dandy 4/5 for sale – Useable as is, but would benefit from restoration.

ChrisP
    ChrisP

Dandy 4/5 for sale – Useable as is, but would benefit from restoration. Empty Dandy 4/5 for sale – Useable as is, but would benefit from restoration.

Post by ChrisP Sun 23 Aug 2015, 11:40 pm

It is a brown and mushroom Dandy 4/5 with a hitch assembly dated 1985. It is useable as is, but would benefit from restoration. It would also be a good ‘try a Dandy and see if you like it’ option.

I have used it once this year towing from Hertfordshire to Snowdonia and back at the end of July. The previous years it was at least 4 trips a year.

I paid £350 for it originally and I am open to offers. It can be collected from Hertfordshire with cash on collection.

I could try ebay and maybe get more (or less) since there is quite a variation in the prices they go for, but I thought I would try the forum first.

I am listing the good (and not so good) points.  There are photos below. Some of the photos are already on the site in my previous posts and some are new.

The good points:
    There are no leaks in the dandy itself, but the towing cover does leak
    The bed side PVC walls are insulated
    The sofa side PVC walls have no insulation, but do have clear PVC windows
    It has inboard wheels. This does mean there is a wheel hump inside, but you do get the interior space of a 4/5 with the exterior width of an ‘external wheels’ 4.
    It’s brown and mushroom. It doesn't show dirt the way the blue and white ones do!

The not so good:
    The trailer is not level left to right. This is because one of the shock absorbers is more worn than the other. You can just get your hand in between the tyre and the wheel arch. It was like this when I bought it in 2013 and is no worse now.
    The overrun brakes work, but the handbrake has to be pulled up past the last ratchet stop to be effective when moving it around by hand.
    The towing lighting is best described as ‘variable’. Sometimes it all works, but mostly one or more lights are out. The last few trips I have just used a lighting board which is not included.
    The tyres are, well, tired. I ran it with new wheels and tyres which I have had to transfer to my new one. It is back on the set it came with. I would consider these a ‘get me home set’ since the only time I used them was when I collected it originally.
    There is no key for the door lock or the hitch.
    Two bed catches have come off. I have them, but am currently using bungees in their place.
    The frame to prop up the sofa back need re-riveting on one side
    Usual rot in the lower door section.
    The door also sticks a bit top right
    The cover is leaky, but folding the roof on top neatly when towing prevents any water that gets through the cover getting any further inside.
    The gas bottle box needs bungees to keep it closed.

I don’t really need to list the standard Dandy advantages, since if you are already on this site you already know them.

I had to pitch both together to get my camping equipment out of the 4/5 and into the 4. This gave me an option to take some pictures of the 4/5 for sale.

This first picture is a crop showing just the 4/5. The full picture is in my " Oh Dear.....Dandy number 3" post. I have not put all the bungees on underneath, so it looks a little slack.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Second, front on with the left side slightly obscured by the other dandy awning.

Next an interior shot showing the kitchen, the white inside on the left for the insulated bed area and the brown inside on the right for the uninsulated sofa area. The brown 'blind' for the clear PVC windows is rolled up and poppered to show how that works. The sliding doors from the base of the kitchen are in the box seat. They were so stiff, I took them off, but they are there is wanted. I have the cushion for the box seat and it will be included. I don't normally take it camping and had left it in the garage. The stove has its grill and heat shield. one knob falls off, but it can be pushed back on again.

The 'insulated' side

The sofa side

A crop showing the right side is lower as described in the text. This is cropped from the side by side picture in my " Oh Dear.....Dandy number 3", but I wanted to make it clear which one is for sale....hence the crop.

The 'sagging' side side on. This is a crop.
    NOTE: The wheel in the picture has been transferred to the new dandy and the original wheel the 4/5 came with put back. This fact is stated in the text description above. The picture is intended to show the condition of the side only.

The lower door rot which is quite common. It is not that difficult to put in a new piece of ply, but getting a colour match may be harder.

Bungees used as a temporary fix for missing bed catches. I have the catches, but can't find my pop riveter to put them back on again.

The roof folded to keep everything dry when the cover leaks.

I will try and answer questions promptly, but will be travelling the next couple of weeks, so sometimes there may be a couple of day's delay.

There are also quite a few picture on my other posts. In those you may see a pneumatic jockey wheel and a Triplelock hitch coupling. These, like the wheels previously mentioned, have been transferred to my new dandy and are not part of this sale, neither are any of the awnings pictured....although I would be open to a separate offer for the movelite porch awning.
    ChrisP
    ChrisP

Dandy 4/5 for sale – Useable as is, but would benefit from restoration. Empty It is still available if anyone is interested in a winter project!

Post by ChrisP Tue 24 Nov 2015, 10:36 pm

Just a short note to say that it is still available.......
    ChrisP
    ChrisP

Dandy 4/5 for sale – Useable as is, but would benefit from restoration. Empty Now on Ebay and no longer available through the Dandycampers website

Post by ChrisP Sat 26 Mar 2016, 7:27 pm

I have now listed this on Ebay. If you are interested, look at my listing.....and maybe even bid.
    ChrisP
    ChrisP

Dandy 4/5 for sale – Useable as is, but would benefit from restoration. Empty Now sold

Post by ChrisP Tue 05 Apr 2016, 10:09 pm

It sold on Ebay. A bit less than hoped for at £181, but two and a half seasons use for just £169 is not bad.

Sponsored content

Dandy 4/5 for sale – Useable as is, but would benefit from restoration. Empty Re: Dandy 4/5 for sale – Useable as is, but would benefit from restoration.

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 10:14 am