Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+7
Eilis
Lol and Steve
Tow Itch
Nick
Helen
Cazz
mike
11 posters

Dandy trailer tent diy insulation options and ideas

mishabgt
    mishabgt

Dandy trailer tent diy insulation options and ideas - Page 4 Empty Re: Dandy trailer tent diy insulation options and ideas

Post by mishabgt Fri 22 Feb 2013, 9:20 pm

Having been thinking about insulation for prevention (or at least minimisation <- is that even a word?!) of condensation overnight, I had thought about making individual bed "pods" - like little mini tents with drape-style front curtain fronts which would hang from the roof bar and clip to the wood edges to form "pup" tents which could be slept in.

Initially I read with interest the comments of silvered insulation material and then had a eureka moment of my own..... silk!

As an insulator it works both ways - keeps warmth in in cold weather and keeps heat out in cold, therefore could be used almost as climate controlled bedroom areas in the tent?!

if made in white or silver (grey) silk I believe the insulating propoerties of the silk would prevent condensation build up in the main dandy area, whilst being lightweight enough to pack down to next to nothing for easy storage either in the bed area (under the matress) or in cupboard storage either under the sink or bench areas?

Has anyone already tried this? If so, what was the result?
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Dandy trailer tent diy insulation options and ideas - Page 4 Empty Re: Dandy trailer tent diy insulation options and ideas

Post by Tow Itch Sat 23 Feb 2013, 4:08 am

Having camped in winter on two occasions in an insulated Designer. The only condensation issues were: 1)Under the bed 2)behind the side walls where it is not insulated. The under bed dampness wasn't really the same issue the second time without an electric blanket. The majority of condensation was in the single thickness sides behind the ply bed walls. Either a silvered foil or even Celotex may be suitable mediums against these solid walls. Also the condensation was observed in pretty cold weather.
    My musings on forming an inner tent were made before I acquired an insulated Designer. In fact they were made before I went camping in November in my uninsulated 4 and found that a Tilly Lamp was all I needed to keep warm.

As you have no insulation other than the roof your issues will be centred on the front and back walls.
    Erecting the awning lessens/stops the condensation on the front wall.
    I see you have a head board a foot board can also be desirable. Instead of any condensation flowing down the wall and wicking into the duvet the footboard like the headboard keeps material away from the bedding.
    Mikes solution works. You do have a condensation film on the PVC but it's separated by the waterproof insulation.
    I had the idea of the silvered tent. As a cheap test I picked up an inner tent for a Conway [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Click on 13 Conway Trailer Tent Sizes to find suitable candidates. I've not tried this yet. For me an inner tent would have both provided insulation and a modesty curtain. For those with insulated Dandys roof linings and modesty curtains are often used. A dandy does look a little spartan inside.
    Questions about your Idea of a silk inner tent. I realise silk insulates. e.g. I use a silk helmet liner for my motorcycle helmet. What would be the cost of the silk? If there were still condensation and it drips would the silk absorb or would the moisture roll off? Not silk but man made fibres in tents are terrible for condensation. In a tent the difference between a nylon inner and a cotton inner is marked. Nylon forms condensation and is clammy, cotton allows much better breathability. Is that a feature of nylon or the size of the mesh formed upon weaving? Does silk breath well? Would it not just be too light. Compressibility is good but would the erected silk not just look like a wispy rag?
    bgarston
    bgarston

Post by bgarston Sun 24 Feb 2013, 1:40 am

Tow Itch wrote: Having camped in winter on two occasions in an insulated Designer. The only condensation issues were: 1)Under the bed 2)behind the side walls where it is not insulated. The under bed dampness wasn't really the same issue the second time without an electric blanket. The majority of condensation was in the single thickness sides behind the ply bed walls. Either a silvered foil or even Celotex may be suitable mediums against these solid walls. Also the condensation was observed in pretty cold weather.
    My musings on forming an inner tent were made before I acquired an insulated Designer. In fact they were made before I went camping in November in my uninsulated 4 and found that a Tilly Lamp was all I needed to keep warm.

As you have no insulation other than the roof your issues will be centred on the front and back walls.
    Erecting the awning lessens/stops the condensation on the front wall.
    I see you have a head board a foot board can also be desirable. Instead of any condensation flowing down the wall and wicking into the duvet the footboard like the headboard keeps material away from the bedding.
    Mikes solution works. You do have a condensation film on the PVC but it's separated by the waterproof insulation.
    I had the idea of the silvered tent. As a cheap test I picked up an inner tent for a Conway [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Click on 13 Conway Trailer Tent Sizes to find suitable candidates. I've not tried this yet. For me an inner tent would have both provided insulation and a modesty curtain. For those with insulated Dandys roof linings and modesty curtains are often used. A dandy does look a little spartan inside.
    Questions about your Idea of a silk inner tent. I realise silk insulates. e.g. I use a silk helmet liner for my motorcycle helmet. What would be the cost of the silk? If there were still condensation and it drips would the silk absorb or would the moisture roll off? Not silk but man made fibres in tents are terrible for condensation. In a tent the difference between a nylon inner and a cotton inner is marked. Nylon forms condensation and is clammy, cotton allows much better breathability. Is that a feature of nylon or the size of the mesh formed upon weaving? Does silk breath well? Would it not just be too light. Compressibility is good but would the erected silk not just look like a wispy rag?

You could use something like Pertex (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pertex) too which might be cheeper than silk but has very similar properties, including I guess looking like a wispy rag after being screwed up for any longer than 5 minutes.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 28 Feb 2013, 5:32 pm

Just found this stuff, I haven't tried it so can't recommend but thought it may come in handy for something

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 5:27 pm