Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping


Stopping smoking

mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Posts : 5172
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 71
Location : north east lincs

Stopping smoking Empty Stopping smoking

Post by mike on Thu 12 Jan 2012, 6:31 pm

Well giving it serious thought,there are many options and i know will power should be enough but i also know it probably wont be,any one tried the electric cigarettes,i have tried the patches once and dont fancy chewing any suggestions.

mike
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Posts : 6837
Join date : 2011-06-12

Stopping smoking Empty Re: Stopping smoking

Post by Helen on Thu 12 Jan 2012, 6:51 pm

A friend of mine has smoked at a guess as she won't admit to this but around 40 per day for around 45 years, she gave up before new year, in preparation her gp sent her to see a stop smoking person who attends the surgery on Fridays, they set a date for her to give up and she got patches on prescription, she also has an inhalator. She has to go on Fridays to see her 'smoking councillor' but so far she hasn't even had a single puff.
Cazz
Cazz

Posts : 2052
Join date : 2011-07-14
Age : 44
Location : Staffordshire

Stopping smoking Empty Re: Stopping smoking

Post by Cazz on Thu 12 Jan 2012, 9:08 pm

Wayne gave up in 2000, he used to smoke over 20 a day, he managed on will power alone, but for a while we bought something nice from the money that was saved, he says that was a big encouragement.

Just think of that 3D TV. lol!

I've also heard the NHS help is good.
Esermalda
Esermalda

Posts : 606
Join date : 2011-10-31
Age : 64
Location : cullompton,devon

Stopping smoking Empty Re: Stopping smoking

Post by Esermalda on Thu 12 Jan 2012, 11:51 pm

good for you, Mike, its an expensive habit anyway. Try to save the money for something nice for Nancy. Stopping smoking 1710857839 Stopping smoking 1710857839
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Posts : 5172
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 71
Location : north east lincs

Stopping smoking Empty Re: Stopping smoking

Post by mike on Fri 13 Jan 2012, 5:17 am

Esermalda wrote:good for you, Mike, its an expensive habit anyway. Try to save the money for something nice for Nancy. Stopping smoking 1710857839 Stopping smoking 1710857839

She has me what more could she want Stopping smoking 3462454224 Stopping smoking 3462454224 Stopping smoking 3462454224 Stopping smoking 3462454224 Stopping smoking 3462454224 Stopping smoking 3462454224
Esermalda
Esermalda

Posts : 606
Join date : 2011-10-31
Age : 64
Location : cullompton,devon

Stopping smoking Empty Re: Stopping smoking

Post by Esermalda on Fri 13 Jan 2012, 7:10 am

Ladies, Don't answer that! Or ladies don't answer that. Hee hee.
Eilis
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Posts : 1458
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Lowestoft, Suffolk

Stopping smoking Empty Re: Stopping smoking

Post by Eilis on Fri 13 Jan 2012, 8:04 am

i went to the nhs and used champyx which was really good as you just stopped wanting a cig

like you i already tried the patches and reacted to them, the gum is foul and didn't see why a fake ciggie would stop me wanting a real one

have a chat with the stop smoking people

if you do use anything it's on prescription so much cheaper as this sort of stuff is so expensive over the counter

i stopped a year and a half ago and don't miss it at all plus bought some lovely stuff with the spare cash :-)
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Posts : 6837
Join date : 2011-06-12

Stopping smoking Empty Re: Stopping smoking

Post by Helen on Fri 13 Jan 2012, 8:27 am

I once tried the Lozenges and they just gave me a sore mouth Neutral
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Posts : 5172
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 71
Location : north east lincs

Stopping smoking Empty Re: Stopping smoking

Post by mike on Fri 13 Jan 2012, 9:31 am

Just bought one ecig to try,the thing is we both smoke and it adds up,the ecig has individual tip ends with the drugs in so to try it we can have a tip each so not spreading colds ect to each other,the tips come in three strengths each one equivalent to 20 cigs just over £6 for three,at the moment its plugged into the laptop usb charging so at least its handy lol!
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Posts : 5172
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 71
Location : north east lincs

Stopping smoking Empty Re: Stopping smoking

Post by mike on Fri 13 Jan 2012, 11:30 am

Thats weird tastes a bit like a cigarette and even produces smoke and the end lights up as you suck Very Happy better hurry and finish with it before they find some thing bad with them
Esermalda
Esermalda

Posts : 606
Join date : 2011-10-31
Age : 64
Location : cullompton,devon

Stopping smoking Empty Re: Stopping smoking

Post by Esermalda on Fri 13 Jan 2012, 8:00 pm

well, I must lead a sheltered life. I don't think I could have imagined these at all. Just googled e cig and is it just another way of smoking, like not inhaling??
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Posts : 5172
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 71
Location : north east lincs

Stopping smoking Empty Re: Stopping smoking

Post by mike on Sat 14 Jan 2012, 6:15 am

Esermalda wrote:well, I must lead a sheltered life. I don't think I could have imagined these at all. Just googled e cig and is it just another way of smoking, like not inhaling??

Yes it could easily be a substitute for the real thing long term if your not careful its not even pushed as a quitting aid,as a smoker there is more to the addiction than nicotine in my mind any way, the actual part in quitting played by an ecig has to be seriously considered and it needs to be used as a tool.

mike
Krist0n
Krist0n

Posts : 326
Join date : 2011-11-05
Age : 45
Location : Sandbach, Cheshire

Stopping smoking Empty Re: Stopping smoking

Post by Krist0n on Sat 14 Jan 2012, 7:59 am

I read a book called "East way to give up smoking" by Allan Carr about 8 years ago, and it worked wonders for 1 year excactly. It did state at the start of the book that you MUST complete the book, even if you stop smoking half way through. I, however knew better!!!! lol.
I think if I had followed the simple instructions, I wouldn't have started again 12 months later.

I then used the Zyban tablets which was a 12 or 16 week course, but they didn't agree with me. They were origionally used as an anti-depressant, and they sent my head all over the place.

I then, about 3 years ago, used the Champyx, and thought that was absolutely brilliant. I had to do 6 weeks on the patches and inhilators first (on prescription), and then they let me use the Champyx, again, on prescription, so all in all it only cost me about £30. Equivilent to less than a weeks worth of ciggys.

Good luck Mike. You can do it.
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Posts : 5172
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 71
Location : north east lincs

Stopping smoking Empty Re: Stopping smoking

Post by mike on Sat 14 Jan 2012, 9:23 am

Krist0n wrote:I read a book called "East way to give up smoking" by Allan Carr about 8 years ago, and it worked wonders for 1 year excactly. It did state at the start of the book that you MUST complete the book, even if you stop smoking half way through. I, however knew better!!!! lol.
I think if I had followed the simple instructions, I wouldn't have started again 12 months later.

I then used the Zyban tablets which was a 12 or 16 week course, but they didn't agree with me. They were origionally used as an anti-depressant, and they sent my head all over the place.

I then, about 3 years ago, used the Champyx, and thought that was absolutely brilliant. I had to do 6 weeks on the patches and inhilators first (on prescription), and then they let me use the Champyx, again, on prescription, so all in all it only cost me about £30. Equivilent to less than a weeks worth of ciggys.

Good luck Mike. You can do it.

Thanks i feel i stand a good chance,they are realy trying to get these things established instead of cigs the one i bought takes refills and i got it from tesco pharmacy but there tobacco counter sells a one use one equivalent to 30 cigs @ £5.99
but no way is this going to be a long term replacement on my part.
The Admiral
The Admiral

Posts : 534
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 62
Location : Wolverhampton

Stopping smoking Empty Re: Stopping smoking

Post by The Admiral on Sat 14 Jan 2012, 11:56 am

I think it's brilliant that you're giving up I've never smoked but my dad was a 60 a day man and I remember how hard it was for him. You have my support and if there's anything I can do to help let me know!
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Posts : 5172
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 71
Location : north east lincs

Stopping smoking Empty Re: Stopping smoking

Post by mike on Sat 14 Jan 2012, 12:11 pm

The Admiral wrote:I think it's brilliant that you're giving up I've never smoked but my dad was a 60 a day man and I remember how hard it was for him. You have my support and if there's anything I can do to help let me know!


Thank you Jayne
Esermalda
Esermalda

Posts : 606
Join date : 2011-10-31
Age : 64
Location : cullompton,devon

Stopping smoking Empty Re: Stopping smoking

Post by Esermalda on Sat 14 Jan 2012, 2:22 pm

Are you both united in this or just yourself? either way good luck!
Essie
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Posts : 5172
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 71
Location : north east lincs

Stopping smoking Empty Re: Stopping smoking

Post by mike on Sat 14 Jan 2012, 2:28 pm

Esermalda wrote:Are you both united in this or just yourself? either way good luck!
Essie

Both of us in fact i will be very surprised if we fail,no allowance has been made for failure,i would love to get it like my drinking then i would smoke maybe 20 a year,perhaps a couple of cigs whilst sitting round a bbq with a bottle of Newcastle brown but it wouldn't work like that.
Esermalda
Esermalda

Posts : 606
Join date : 2011-10-31
Age : 64
Location : cullompton,devon

Stopping smoking Empty Re: Stopping smoking

Post by Esermalda on Sat 14 Jan 2012, 2:39 pm

mike wrote:
Esermalda wrote:Are you both united in this or just yourself? either way good luck!
Essie

Both of us in fact i will be very surprised if we fail,no allowance has been made for failure,i would love to get it like my drinking then i would smoke maybe 20 a year,perhaps a couple of cigs whilst sitting round a bbq with a bottle of Newcastle brown but it wouldn't work like that.
I had an aunt who could do this but one chap at work tried this and its taken at least three years to get him off the chewing gum!!!
Eilis
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Posts : 1458
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Lowestoft, Suffolk

Stopping smoking Empty Re: Stopping smoking

Post by Eilis on Wed 01 Feb 2012, 7:26 pm

how's the stopping smoking going guys? succeeding i hope xx
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Posts : 5172
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 71
Location : north east lincs

Stopping smoking Empty Re: Stopping smoking

Post by mike on Thu 02 Feb 2012, 5:04 am

Eilis wrote:how's the stopping smoking going guys? succeeding i hope xx

Ime down to under 50% and Nancy even better Very Happy
Eilis
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Posts : 1458
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Lowestoft, Suffolk

Stopping smoking Empty Re: Stopping smoking

Post by Eilis on Thu 02 Feb 2012, 6:36 am

well done guys i know it's not easy but after a while you'll forget you ever smoked and you have spare cash to boot Smile

Sponsored content

Stopping smoking Empty Re: Stopping smoking

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Wed 21 Oct 2020, 6:06 am