Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+6
Nick
Tow Itch
Helen
Cazz
mike
naedoot
10 posters

New Owner Almost

naedoot
    naedoot

New Owner Almost Empty New Owner Almost

Post by naedoot Sun 15 Jan 2012, 1:16 pm

Afternoon,

well we are just back in from viewing the Dandy 6 berth (80's model 84 i think).

got to say it looks good, loads of room, couple of wee things that need to be taken care of, but mostyl cosmetic.
    turned up and she was up and ready to view,had a good glance on the outside and no tears or repairs in the pvc that I could see, so had a look underneath - everything looked solid, wee bit of surface rust on the tow section - nothing a wee rub down and coat of hammerite wont fix.
    floor seems solid, gas stove works, electic fuse box fittted all lights worked.
    has had new intenal flooring put in and the kitchen unit has been recoverd. wee bit of wallpaper on the walls etc.
    new tyres etc.

kids liked it, wife liked it and so did I so , gave the guy a deposit today to secure , pay the rest on collection Thursday.
    guy has thrown in 2 gas bottles, spare gas struts, electric hookup cable and a couple of other bits n bobs
    Will get some pics up soon.
    The unit is far from minted , needs a little cosmetics but for the price we are paying we cant argue over it.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

New Owner Almost Empty Re: New Owner Almost

Post by mike Sun 15 Jan 2012, 1:26 pm

Well done every body happy you cant ask for more,you will be getting when are we going camping all the time now. Very Happy
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Sun 15 Jan 2012, 2:21 pm

New Owner Almost 1428739134 If everyone's happy, then it's perfect. New Owner Almost 2170595768

We must have pics once you've collected it and first have it open. bounce

When and where do you hope to have your first trip away? Very Happy
    naedoot
    naedoot

Post by naedoot Sun 15 Jan 2012, 2:27 pm

cheers

going to do a little cosmetic works to it , but need to get the tow bar sorted for the car first Sad

hope to get out in it sooner than later.

will keep you informed once its outside my house.

need to figure out if i keep the dandy outside or in the garage (need to empty it first and not sure how the other love of my life will take to being kept outside )
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 15 Jan 2012, 2:40 pm

Just some thing to check on the 6 every time you fold it away, the beds on mine are hinged using cut lengths of piano hinge and the pin that goes through the hinge tends to work its way out they just need a tap back when you fold away,you may be lucky and they dont move but worth checking,by the sound of it the sides have gas struts once you get your gear stowed inside make sure nothing can foul the struts movement or slide around in transit and get in the way.
    We started with a smaller dandy and find the six great,did you get an awning with it.

mike
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Sun 15 Jan 2012, 2:43 pm

naedoot wrote:cheers

going to do a little cosmetic works to it , but need to get the tow bar sorted for the car first Sad

need to figure out if i keep the dandy outside or in the garage (need to empty it first and not sure how the other love of my life will take to being kept outside )

A tow bar always helps, and of course a number plate, lol. I got mine from ebay for about a fiver.

Can you say what the other love of your lie is, that is in the garage?
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 15 Jan 2012, 2:48 pm

cazz wrote:
    naedoot wrote:cheers

A tow bar always helps, and of course a number plate, lol. I got mine from ebay for about a fiver.

Can you say what the other love of your lie is, that is in the garage?

Your nosey cazz Very Happy hope we get an answer cos i am as well lol!
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Sun 15 Jan 2012, 2:59 pm

mike wrote:
    Your nosey cazz Very Happy hope we get an answer cos i am as well lol!

I knew you would be, that's why I asked whether it could be mentioned or not. lol!

You never know, it might be top secret, and we will have to be sworn to secrecy, or just carry on imagining Shocked Laughing
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 15 Jan 2012, 3:17 pm

Congratulations, it's all working to plan then New Owner Almost 184121345

We keep our Dandy in the garage normally, it stops people knowing when we have gone away. Having a dandy that could do with a bit of cosmetic stuff done is great because you can put your own stamp on it and have it as you want, it'll also be unique Very Happy
    naedoot
    naedoot

Post by naedoot Sun 15 Jan 2012, 5:02 pm

the other love is ma bandit 600

no awning with it Sad

going to look at a nice tarp style thing and a couple of windbreakers

bit like this

a vango shadow shelter or universal awning for vans etc
    that sort of thing with a couple of high windebreaks
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 15 Jan 2012, 5:43 pm

naedoot wrote:Afternoon,

well we are just back in from viewing the Dandy 6 berth (80's model 84 i think).

got to say it looks good, loads of room, couple of wee things that need to be taken care of, but mostyl cosmetic.
    turned up and she was up and ready to view,had a good glance on the outside and no tears or repairs in the pvc that I could see, so had a look underneath - everything looked solid, wee bit of surface rust on the tow section - nothing a wee rub down and coat of hammerite wont fix.
    floor seems solid, gas stove works, electic fuse box fittted all lights worked.
    has had new intenal flooring put in and the kitchen unit has been recoverd. wee bit of wallpaper on the walls etc.
    new tyres etc.

kids liked it, wife liked it and so did I so , gave the guy a deposit today to secure , pay the rest on collection Thursday.
    guy has thrown in 2 gas bottles, spare gas struts, electric hookup cable and a couple of other bits n bobs
    Will get some pics up soon.
    The unit is far from minted , needs a little cosmetics but for the price we are paying we cant argue over it.

When you turned up the 6 was already erected. Have you played the "put me up take me down game?"
    6's can be beasts to put up and fold down if the struts on the side are poorly or anything else is amiss.
    If the floor has been replaced cracking job. A soggy floor is a fair old job to replace.
    With the mention of the floor and the lack of the mention of a heater in the same.
    Is there a heater in the floor? If your going to be on hook ups mainly then it wont matter but otherwise have you seen the heater linked [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] If you are interested please PM me as I was considering a punt.(Some do know of my desire to be warm) No point bidding against each other I'll withdraw if there is another site user bidding. As I don't need it directly.
    You mentioned a fuse box I don't know if it's just a turn of phrase but if it is fuses then an uprate to RCD's would be a good idea.
    Hope all goes well.
    naedoot
    naedoot

Post by naedoot Sun 15 Jan 2012, 6:04 pm

The up and down game is going to be played on the day we collect before the final cash amount is handed over as he said he would show us how its all done (my wife is off that day so she can go up with my father and they can do that and tow it home ready for me getting in from work) then I can start to play

the under floor heater is there and works , had a good tap of the floor and it seemed solid underneath as did the bedding area.
    the new floor is internal and laminate.

as for the fuses - there is a fuse box situated in the bottom left cupboard of the kitchen unit and also another fuse box (spades) fitted for the lights ( side indie, brake etc) to stop it taking out the cars

Not sure if i would feel safe with using the heater so had toyed with a seperate one.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 15 Jan 2012, 6:26 pm

I never use my under floor mainly because i use electric but dont be tempted to remove it they can add value
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 15 Jan 2012, 7:09 pm

We use our underfloor heater a lot as we don't always use EHU, if your unsure of when it was last serviced blow it through with high pressure, that's what they do at Riva. Very Happy
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Sun 15 Jan 2012, 8:05 pm

Cazz the Queen of mean, sorry our chief economist lol!

has worked out not only are you more independent on gas but your quids in running a gas heater and fridge as against even the cheapest hook up.

But that's using a Propex gas heater which has a thermostat on, so it's not running all the time, which saves a lot of gas compared to a heater that hasn't.

Of course an electric convector heater is a lot quieter, we do use electric in the winter, if the price is right. Wink

By the way, our 3 way fridge costs around 50p per day to run on gas. Embarassed
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 15 Jan 2012, 8:26 pm

We turn our heater down to just above the pilot when we got to bed to just keep that chill off New Owner Almost 3498837457
    naedoot
    naedoot

Post by naedoot Sun 15 Jan 2012, 8:47 pm

I will test the heater properly when I get it back to the house and can play with it. I would use it when im in it but always have a doubt with these things when my kids are involved.
    In the past when camping we usually have sleeping bags n duvets and tbh I have never been cold yet - think thats why my wife is still with me as I act like a electric blanket seemingly.

as for the fuses - the spade fuses have been added so that if a brake bulb etc blows it protects the car ( dont know the real ins and outs of it but it could save a costly repair bill on the car if it does what it says)

Once we get it back to the house I am going to get in about it and see whats what, cleaning etc.
    cant wait till Thursday
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 15 Jan 2012, 9:56 pm

Actually Cazz a petty stupid statement from me last.
    Over Christmas I must have been getting around £7 per day in value from the 2Kw heater at domestic electric prices. If I'd have realised we had a full 16amp hook up I'd have heated the awning as well.
    Not many sites charging £7 for a hook up so obviously winters a different kettle of fish.
    Obviously it depends what you pay for your gas. So running a 3.9Kg bottle doesn't help economy.
    The heater use approx 0.140Kg gas p/h on full burn at quoted Calor prices a 13Kg bottle would cost about £0.2712 per hour or £0.56 on 3.9Kg.
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Sun 15 Jan 2012, 10:25 pm

sites do nicely out of EHU charges,in the summer when we don't use heating or much lighting but still pay £21 a week to keep our food cool and have the radio.
    However in the winter i have heating on 24hrs a day so it probably evens out,the advantage of being able to camp all year round.
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Mon 16 Jan 2012, 9:50 am

NickB wrote:sites do nicely out of EHU charges,in the summer when we don't use heating or much lighting but still pay £21 a week to keep our food cool and have the radio.
    However in the winter i have heating on 24hrs a day so it probably evens out,the advantage of being able to camp all year round.

That is a good statement, a good way to look at it. New Owner Almost 3498837457

I should also point out to people who don't know, we do a lot of car rallys which are in random fields and show grounds, electric is rarely available, that's the main reason we run gas in the campervan, but now of course we have the Dandy, which hasn't got gas. This reminds me of Mikes 'going round in circles' with his awning situation. New Owner Almost 3462454224
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Mon 16 Jan 2012, 6:48 pm

naedoot wrote:the other love is ma bandit 600

no awning with it Sad

bit like this

I've just googled your other love, lol, that cannot stay outside, unless of course it is out of site. You could build some sort of multi-storey storage for them both. scratch

I'm sure you will sort an awning of some sort out, there are a few ideas and suggestions about.

Last edited by cazz on Mon 16 Jan 2012, 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Mon 16 Jan 2012, 6:49 pm

cazz wrote:
    naedoot wrote:the other love is ma bandit 600

no awning with it Sad

bit like this

I've just googled your other love, lol, that cannot stay outside, unless of course it is out of site. You could build some sort of multi-storey storage for them both. scratch

Was going to put a picture on for him but he didn't say what colour
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Mon 16 Jan 2012, 6:55 pm

mike wrote:Was going to put a picture on for him but he didn't say what colour

You could have put a selection of little pics on. lol!
    naedoot
    naedoot

Post by naedoot Mon 16 Jan 2012, 8:12 pm

wont let me upload pics says storage limit has been reached Sad

never mind will link some when i get a moment

prob is my other love is slightly put out as she is sitting in a cold garage and has a few battle scars from our little mishap last Monday morning Crying or Very sad

once I get the dandy home on thurs I will get pics sorted of the fuse box so that you can tell me if its ok or not - dads a sparkie by trade but hes as clueless as me at times Smile
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 16 Jan 2012, 8:56 pm

Motorcycling in January and in Scotland. Bravo.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 2:00 pm