Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+6
Cazz
jenstar
Helen
Eilis
mike
naedoot
10 posters

Our Dandy - the early days

naedoot
    naedoot

Our Dandy - the early days Empty Our Dandy - the early days

Post by naedoot Sat 21 Jan 2012, 2:02 pm

Well eventually go some daylight to get outside and start to play, however the rain and the wind up here is doing my head in Evil or Very Mad
    put some pics here -

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

As I said before needs a wee bit of work but chassis seems solid as does floor. wee bits of surface rust here and there.
    Its a start and for what I bought it for - I cant complain.
    Yes that is a glimpse of me through the door and No the small troll like creature is not my wife its the youngest member of my tribe.

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Our Dandy - the early days Empty Re: Our Dandy - the early days

Post by mike Sat 21 Jan 2012, 2:20 pm

Doesn't look like you need to do a lot,it looks sound and clean you will soon be out there dandying cheers cheers cheers
    naedoot
    naedoot

Post by naedoot Sat 21 Jan 2012, 2:23 pm

cheers Mike

could prob go over it with cleaner and leave the rain and wind to rinse n dry.

obviously some decor adjustments etc but all in all it was a bargin I think.

going to look at replacing some of the hinges ie doors so looking on net and ebay for suitable bits n bobs.

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sat 21 Jan 2012, 2:34 pm

naedoot wrote:cheers Mike

could prob go over it with cleaner and leave the rain and wind to rinse n dry.

obviously some decor adjustments etc but all in all it was a bargin I think.

going to look at replacing some of the hinges ie doors so looking on net and ebay for suitable bits n bobs.

If all else fails you would probably get them from Ian at riva but of course he buys in and has to put a mark up on.

mike
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis Sat 21 Jan 2012, 3:31 pm

that looks lovely, what a bargain Smile

you'll be out in no time dandying, how exciting bounce bounce bounce
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sat 21 Jan 2012, 3:43 pm

It's lovely, Our Dandy - the early days 1710857839 I'm sure you will never go back to a tent after a Dandy.
    jenstar
    jenstar

Post by jenstar Sat 21 Jan 2012, 5:22 pm

Thanks for the photos, it looks lovely! Not much to do there, well done, just need to use and enjoy it now! Very Happy
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Sat 21 Jan 2012, 7:25 pm

Thanks for the pics, she looks lovely, you will be Dandying in no time. bounce bounce bounce
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Sat 21 Jan 2012, 8:50 pm

Our Dandy - the early days 1710857839 Our Dandy - the early days 1710857839 Well done bet you are really pleased with it. Very Happy
    naedoot
    naedoot

Post by naedoot Sat 21 Jan 2012, 9:27 pm

if I can get the weather to put the dandy up so I can get inside it I will be happy.

naedoot
    naedoot

Post by naedoot Sat 28 Jan 2012, 7:48 am

well still no luck getting it put up yet.

Wife has been working, Ive been working, weather has been against us

My dad went on to get his knee replaced last Sat so went to see him on Sunday - lovely day sun out dry no wind , but by the time I got back some friends had arrived and it was dark so no chance there.

took the battery that I found in the front storage box out and stuck in garage, had a look at the storage box and the cradle inside is a bit worse for wear so going to remove box (try), get in about the aframe to get the surface rust spots off and give it a lick of smooth silver hammerite I have in the garage.

May have to come up with some bear grylls style of using what I have in the garage to fix the cradle or come up with an alternative.
    had thought of fitting ply wood or similar into box as a support aid and fixing gas bottle straps.
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis Sat 28 Jan 2012, 8:44 am

naedoot wrote:well still no luck getting it put up yet.

Wife has been working, Ive been working, weather has been against us

My dad went on to get his knee replaced last Sat so went to see him on Sunday - lovely day sun out dry no wind , but by the time I got back some friends had arrived and it was dark so no chance there.

took the battery that I found in the front storage box out and stuck in garage, had a look at the storage box and the cradle inside is a bit worse for wear so going to remove box (try), get in about the aframe to get the surface rust spots off and give it a lick of smooth silver hammerite I have in the garage.

May have to come up with some bear grylls style of using what I have in the garage to fix the cradle or come up with an alternative.
    had thought of fitting ply wood or similar into box as a support aid and fixing gas bottle straps.

pics of progress please Smile
    bgarston
    bgarston

Post by bgarston Sat 28 Jan 2012, 9:44 am

naedoot wrote:May have to come up with some bear grylls style of using what I have in the garage to fix the cradle or come up with an alternative.

Sounds like a good plan! :-)
    naedoot
    naedoot

Post by naedoot Sun 29 Jan 2012, 5:37 pm

Evening all,

well got out today and managed to get the front storage box off.
    4 bolts , 2 rivets later and almost off. apart from the wiring that goes from the 12v 2pin socket into the dandy.

spent a little time taking the black electrical tape off the cables I realised that one of the previous owners had quite a large supply of it.
    will need to replace the crocodile clips as they look like they were from the Titanic, happen to have some from a 12v inspection lamp thats knackered or I may get battery terminals fitted.

Took some pics as I have a bad memory as to where everything goes once I take it apart.

Still cant find the chassis number plate Sad

Front box is sitting in the garage - Its the original one so looks like its fibreglass type material, so going to give it a rub down and then treat it to a coat or two of Plastikote.

the internal cage is a bit worse for wear - bit rusty and the rubberised coating is shot, so spent a good while removing it all - stanley knife slipped and went across my thumb, glad I had put my gloves back on after having my cuppa, and the fact i was using a semi dull blade saved me from a trip to A&E with my kids.

all of the rubber is off , however two of the struts are loose so need to come up with a solution to that issue before a blast with hammerite / plastikote spray. dont know how to weld and nobody I know can either.

decided that was enough for this afternoon as it was getting cold and damp.

Have a cunning plan that involves ply and some brackets for making a box to go into the plastic front box, this will be secured in place with the original bolts if long enough and should give a bit more strength to the box, I can then fit gas bottle bracket and possibly a battery transfer box along with some other little bits n bobs that wont fall out of the back.

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 29 Jan 2012, 5:43 pm

Getting a bit done then,the numbers are not on a plate they are stamped into the aframe,you say crocodile clips if you are having gas and battery in the same box make sure you have ventilation in the bottom and i would use proper connectors not crocodile clips on the battery,dont want a spark and a gas leak in a solid bottom box.

mike
    naedoot
    naedoot

Post by naedoot Sun 29 Jan 2012, 5:51 pm

if I build the box inside the box - I will be leaving vent points.
    I had looked at the battery holders with the lids on them but unsure.

Take your point re the croc clips - will prob go with the proper covered conectors if I decide to keep the battery in her.

as for the numbers will need to have a closer look - Must admit was looking for a plate Embarassed

uploaded some pics of the wiring and the cage - didnt get one of the cage after I hadremoved all the rubber plastic coating.

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 29 Jan 2012, 5:56 pm

naedoot wrote:if I build the box inside the box - I will be leaving vent points.
    I had looked at the battery holders with the lids on them but unsure.

Take your point re the croc clips - will prob go with the proper covered conectors if I decide to keep the battery in her.

as for the numbers will need to have a closer look - Must admit was looking for a plate Embarassed

uploaded some pics of the wiring and the cage - didnt get one of the cage after I hadremoved all the rubber plastic coating.

About the same condition as the one on the delta i had
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 29 Jan 2012, 5:57 pm

It's a good job you were using a dull blade affraid

I'm just pleased you've managed to have a play at last. cheers
    naedoot
    naedoot

Post by naedoot Sun 29 Jan 2012, 6:00 pm

its all drying up now so , will give it a run over with the wire brush.

As for the blade I was lucky as I have a tendancy to have slight accidents now and again whilst doing these type of jobs - hence I didnt put in a new blade Smile

My wife will testify as to my clumsiness I occasionally possess.

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 29 Jan 2012, 6:17 pm

My dads good at that sort of thing, he is very handy but always ends up with a cut or swelling somewhere and if he doesn't you do lol!
    naedoot
    naedoot

Post by naedoot Mon 30 Jan 2012, 10:20 pm

well today went well.

came home and my wife said to me right we have 40 mins till dinners ready - lets go and get it up.

Our Dandy - the early days 2702329197 i thought

so we head out of the kitchen and start getting the jackets on to go outside and after a little huffing and puffing plus a little constructive criticism on both sides it was up.

think the fuse box for the electrics needs an update to one with built in rcd and will have to tidy up the other wiring thats there cos I am not convinced that the white block connector and nonn sheathed wires should be close to the gas tap for the cooker.

some wee pics to get a taster - next time it goes up , going to get daughter to take pics as we go then once we have it sussed we will do a wee vid for everyone to have a giggle.
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis Tue 31 Jan 2012, 6:24 am

that sounds like it's going to be fun to watch 'a little constructive criticism on both sides' lol!

congrats though, must be itching (haha) to get to work on her

i'll order the popcorn ready for the vid Our Dandy - the early days 1710857839
    naedoot
    naedoot

Post by naedoot Tue 31 Jan 2012, 6:47 am

Eilis wrote:that sounds like it's going to be fun to watch 'a little constructive criticism on both sides' lol!

congrats though, must be itching (haha) to get to work on her

i'll order the popcorn ready for the vid Our Dandy - the early days 1710857839

hope you dont like hot popcorn Smile

and if my kids have anything to do with the video then it will probably end up like the lord of the rings trilogy
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:52 am

We've been putting ours up and down for years and it's still sometimes like a carry on film, really looking forward to your video Our Dandy - the early days 1710857839
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Tue 31 Jan 2012, 10:04 am

We have some pop your own pop corn in the cupboard, we now have a reason to prepare some, looking forward to it. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 9:43 am