Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

5 posters

Home made awning hooks

fearful wizard

Home made awning hooks Empty Home made awning hooks

Post by fearful wizard Fri 23 Mar 2012, 5:54 pm

I have been looking for some flat bar to make awning hooks, and found these at b and q
    safe edge frame clamps size 200x50x19mm about £1.14 each, a bit thinner than the original. Pete Smile

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Home made awning hooks Empty Re: Home made awning hooks

Post by mike Fri 23 Mar 2012, 6:01 pm

Should be ok i think the originals may have been a bit over the top
    fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard Fri 23 Mar 2012, 6:04 pm

Yep it looks thinner than it is in the picture, but will be easier to bend in the vice.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 26 Jun 2012, 10:38 am

How did your awning hooks work out ?

This stuff could come in useful for hanging stuff from the inside of the Dandy too. It would be nice to be able to free up some space on the extra worktop we made by being able to suspend the tv somehow from the Dandy frame.

It is a small tv so not heavy at all.
    fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard Wed 27 Jun 2012, 11:44 am

I havent tried the hooks yet helen, my my first trip we used the storm straps to fit not ideal but ok for first time, that is a good idea, for hanging the tv etc:- the straps i got from b&q.
    And they are easy to bend to shape in a vice. Pete Smile

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 27 Jun 2012, 12:11 pm

We used the straps on one of our freestanding awnings and found that it stopped any flapping of the roof in Windy weather Smile
    Owd Lad
    Owd Lad

Post by Owd Lad Wed 27 Jun 2012, 4:21 pm

WOW! I've often referred to Dandying as being bomb proof camping and we have been out in some big blows in the past but I've never thought of using storm straps like you show in the photo. The most I've ever done is guy the roof down to the trailer buttons and park the car on the windy side. There was one occasion when we turned the entire rig round 90 degrees so the fixed end was into the wind, albeit we weren't using an awning at the time, and found that the rig settled nicely and gave us a much more comfortable night.
    Please don't think I'm knocking your idea in any way 'cause I ain't. I know that the Dandy structure is quite stiff once it's erected but there may well be a very good argument for stiffening the structure some more in the event of a big wind, especially when using an awning. It could well be that utilising one or more of your home made awning hooks, attached to storm straps and pegging them out, as you have shown, would provide all the extra rigidity you could hope for and ensure there was no chance of a collapse. It would possibly be even better than strapping across the roof. Anyone else got any thoughts on this?

By the way, when we do use an awning a storm strap over its length is our first and often only form of guying.

Steve
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 27 Jun 2012, 4:42 pm

Are the lines we can see attached to the rear tunnel of the awning to hold the awning in place ?

As for making storm straps and using home made awning style hooks I think it's a good idea and one I wouldn't mind trying out, you can buy lengths of webbing and the plastic buckles so could make some adjustable straps easily enough.
    fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard Wed 27 Jun 2012, 5:45 pm

Yep the storm straps were just to keep the awning tunnel in place till i can sort out fixing it to the dandy properly.
    Might go f
    or what mike suggested, using draught skirt under roof, then tied as original awning, then use figure of eight joiners
    to attach to awning. Pete Smile
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Wed 27 Jun 2012, 11:06 pm

I have tried a few different awning ideas, as I have a full caravan awning, and a porch awning. I haven't tried Mikes methos, with the draught skirt, but I do honestky think that is the best way forward. I had already ordered and paid for my plastic awning rail before I heard Mikes methos, otherwise I would have defo gone for that.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sat 30 Jun 2012, 7:13 am

My system will get a serious look at soon as i bought a porch awning while in Norfolk,i have the problem it is too tall for the six so may need some sewing,looking at the draught skirt and a removable board with the rail on,the easy way would be to put the awning roof under the dandy roof and tie it on but had the thought where the dandy roof touches it will make the awning roof let water through,got a few ideas running round in my head at the moment.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 03 May 2024, 4:42 am