Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+6
Eilis
Helen
Tow Itch
Nick
Cazz
mike
10 posters

**&^%*&% tvs

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

**&^%*&%  tvs Empty **&^%*&% tvs

Post by mike Sat 31 Mar 2012, 8:58 am

As some will know i have been considering 3D my 50inch samsung is 3 years old and ran out of its extended guarantee a couple of weeks ago,had a letter saying i could extend it for another 12 months for £60 but thought thats money towards a 3D later in the year,watching it this morning and a black bar 4 inches wide with a white line down it appeared 6 inches from the left side all the way down the screen,i googled this problem and it would appear its probaly not worth repairing after all something else could go wrong.
    I did find this you tube video on repairing plasma tvs this guy made it look easy and it worked for him.

I have tried it but need to buy a new tv
    Cazz
    Cazz

**&^%*&%  tvs Empty Re: **&^%*&% tvs

Post by Cazz Sat 31 Mar 2012, 3:02 pm

Doh, how annoying. Evil or Very Mad

Our new TV was second hand over two years ago, it has a stand, colour picture and everything, not bad for £40, but we did leave the extended warranty. lol! I know, I know, I'm the Queen of mean. cheers
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Sat 31 Mar 2012, 3:11 pm

we bought one of these plasma's [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and have been impressed with it so far the picture quality is fantastic and its so solidly built,it does like consuming lots of watts not one for the eco warriors.I had considered waiting for 3D to be available without specs but it will be a couple of years away then there is 4K hd coming out as well but it will be years before 4K is mainstream.
    We paid £1099 for our TV with 5Yrs warranty and 2 Pairs of rechargeable glasses from Richer Sounds although they have since slashed prices as no longer being manufactured.

Last edited by NickB on Sat 31 Mar 2012, 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sat 31 Mar 2012, 3:14 pm

Well we got one 51inch samsung,the guy in the shop told us it had aspect control and it hasn't and the two pair of glasses you get with it are crap,bought a cheap 3d film to try but dont like car engines flying through the air and crushing people and a man falling onto a wooden stake which went through his head and that was just the beginning so it wont get watched,need to get a decent 3d film to watch,the conversion is as i expected just adding depth to the picture but as it was just £100 more than i would have paid for a none 3d it should be worth the money.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sat 31 Mar 2012, 3:21 pm

Cazz alas on this you're not The Queen Of Mean. Everyone and his best mate is giving CRT televisions away on Freegle and Frecycle.

Mike now I'm not saying to do this nor am I saying I would do it. Your committed to a new TV now but why not see if the extended guarantee option is still open? Your TV could always malfunction in 3 months time?
    Remember to diarise in your phone 1 month before the all risk extended guarantees run out. That's always a good time for the appliance to fall off it's stand.
    Just seen your post mike so for the new one remember 35 months from now it falls off the wall.
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Sat 31 Mar 2012, 3:26 pm

Tow Itch wrote: Cazz alas on this you're not The Queen Of Mean. Everyone and his best mate is giving CRT televisions away on Freegle and Frecycle.

That's true, at least we'll have a good supply of TV's and our next one will be even cheaper. We might even get to move onto the flat fancy ones one day. lol!
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Sat 31 Mar 2012, 3:34 pm

We have Tintin in 3D to watch,we have watched a handful of 3D Films,i find animated/cgi films have a much better 3D effect than traditional films.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sat 31 Mar 2012, 3:51 pm

Tow Itch wrote: Cazz alas on this you're not The Queen Of Mean. Everyone and his best mate is giving CRT televisions away on Freegle and Frecycle.

Mike now I'm not saying to do this nor am I saying I would do it. Your committed to a new TV now but why not see if the extended guarantee option is still open? Your TV could always malfunction in 3 months time?
    Remember to diarise in your phone 1 month before the all risk extended guarantees run out. That's always a good time for the appliance to fall off it's stand.
    Just seen your post mike so for the new one remember 35 months from now it falls off the wall.

Unfortunately i dont think i will get the chance i have had two letters in the last few weeks and the final date has gone,but yes if they write again i will take it and the tv will go wrong in 3 months.My laptop is scheduled for a major problem in 6 months **&^%*&%  tvs 3208163979
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sat 31 Mar 2012, 3:53 pm

NickB wrote:We have Tintin in 3D to watch,we have watched a handful of 3D Films,i find animated/cgi films have a much better 3D effect than traditional films.

Going to get a decent one tomorrow
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Sat 31 Mar 2012, 4:10 pm

mike wrote:
    NickB wrote:We have Tintin in 3D to watch,we have watched a handful of 3D Films,i find animated/cgi films have a much better 3D effect than traditional films.

i dread to think what film you had bought to try 3D Shocked
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sat 31 Mar 2012, 4:55 pm

We have quite a few 3D films now and really enjoy the effect of 3D, we didn't get tintin but very nearly bought happy feet 2 lol!
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sat 31 Mar 2012, 5:19 pm

NickB wrote:
    mike wrote:

i dread to think what film you had bought to try 3D Shocked

Final destination affraid
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sat 31 Mar 2012, 5:47 pm

Asda direct do 3D films, you get some cracking offers including final destination for £5. Don't know if they still have it but they do sell 3D blue rays and you get more selection on line.

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sat 31 Mar 2012, 6:24 pm

Helen wrote:Asda direct do 3D films, you get some cracking offers including final destination for £5. Don't know if they still have it but they do sell 3D blue rays and you get more selection on line.

Thats what i paid for it today,it doesn't matter any way because at the moment i cant get a 3d picture i just get a double image even after the glasses have been paired with the set so not happy at the moment.
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Sat 31 Mar 2012, 6:27 pm

I use Lovefilm these days i have stopped buying DVD's i think the last DVD i bought was the twinpeaks box set last year,although vicki bought me some Icelandic comedy on DVD at Xmas.
    I am tempted to buy Starwars blu ray box set but knowing Lucas he will re release it in 3D next year as he loves milking it.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sat 31 Mar 2012, 6:51 pm

NickB wrote:I use Lovefilm these days i have stopped buying DVD's i think the last DVD i bought was the twinpeaks box set last year,although vicki bought me some Icelandic comedy on DVD at Xmas.
    I am tempted to buy Starwars blu ray box set but knowing Lucas he will re release it in 3D next year as he loves milking it.

I was tempted with star wars but bought harry potter box set instead,just got it working on freeview hd the conversion to 3d is far better than i expected no luck with the film though so will get a decent one tomorrow,i was told i didn't need a better hdmi cable but maybe the guy didn't realise how cheap the one i have is Very Happy
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Sat 31 Mar 2012, 9:16 pm

I changed my 1.3V HDMI lead to a 1.4V i think i paid about £10 for it,its not worth spending loads its been proven that a £5 HDMI performs as well as a £50 one,unlike Scarts where cheap scarts equal poor picture.
    Perhaps i should have checked my old HDMI before buying a new one but that's just the way i do things.
    I must make the effort to watch all the Potter films sometime,i have watched a few in no particular order so need to start from the beginning.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sat 31 Mar 2012, 11:20 pm

We just bought Harry Potters Deathly Hallows part 2 in 3D, we have seen it in 2D but think the effects will be good. Will let you know as soon as we've watched it.
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Sat 31 Mar 2012, 11:27 pm

we have just watched Tintin in 3D and it was very good the animation is excellent and its quite funny as well.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 01 Apr 2012, 8:16 am

I think i have sorted my problem was in a hurry and saw a 3d film for £5 grabbed it and came home,its the wrong 3d you need to view it with the coloured lenses didn't even know there where two types the one i bought is anaglyph 3-D,not that it told you any of this on the dvd case Evil or Very Mad
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 01 Apr 2012, 8:19 am

Helen wrote:We just bought Harry Potters Deathly Hallows part 2 in 3D, we have seen it in 2D but think the effects will be good. Will let you know as soon as we've watched it.

Yes ive seen part 2 in the shops in 3d but not part 1 seen them in 2d should be great in 3d.
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Sun 01 Apr 2012, 10:56 am

Mike can a regular DVD display 3D i thought it was only Blu Ray discs that can show 3D that will work with modern TVs?
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 01 Apr 2012, 11:11 am

NickB wrote:Mike can a regular DVD display 3D i thought it was only Blu Ray discs that can show 3D that will work with modern TVs?

Well it displayed it with images all over the place on the tv,think the system just didnt know what to do with it because it was a form of 3d,have watched a short bit of this one on the laptop using the coloured glasses and it works great on that.
    We watched an hour of avatar on hd free-view last night converted to 3d by the tv and it was good,just need to get a proper blu ray 3d disc now.

Thinking about it the player would have played it as a normal dvd with up-scaling
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Sun 01 Apr 2012, 11:29 am

you can only watch true 3D in blu ray format or Sky 3D.I have tried 2D-3D conversion on my TV it does add depth but its just trickery as the TV slightly adjusts focus on objects that it considers to be in the foreground to give an illusion of 3D its clever though.
    I have watched football in 3D and i find it really weird as the action on the pitch is 3D but the surrounding stadia is 2D so it looks like a false back drop,i think fencing would be interesting in 3D Very Happy
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 01 Apr 2012, 12:14 pm

NickB wrote:you can only watch true 3D in blu ray format or Sky 3D.I have tried 2D-3D conversion on my TV it does add depth but its just trickery as the TV slightly adjusts focus on objects that it considers to be in the foreground to give an illusion of 3D its clever though.
    I have watched football in 3D and i find it really weird as the action on the pitch is 3D but the surrounding stadia is 2D so it looks like a false back drop,i think fencing would be interesting in 3D Very Happy

Yes i read a report a few months back from an Australian guy who did an in-depth report on 2d to 3d conversion his conclusion was that with all its short comings it still added a extra dimension to certain things,the surprising thing is i dont notice changes in 3d conversion while watching perhaps its because of the raised interest level in general.
    As you say though you need blu ray 3d disc for the real thing and hopefully there will be more stuff as time goes by,the conversion looks to be best when you have fairly high contrast and colour saturation which at the moment ime not doing as another belief is that plasma screens need bedding in so for the first 100 hours ime set on standard picture but ive tested it on dynamic and its far better.
    The other conclusion i have come to is 3d conversion is best on a slightly smaller screen,the 51 inch will be fantastic for the real stuff but the conversion seams to need a reference point and this is the frame edge where you can see the depth more clearly so your brain accepts it over the whole screen,where with the larger screen you notice the frame less ie with a smaller screen your looking through a window.
    Another bit of cheering up is i have found the aspect control and the problems i was having with the glasses has gone away if you switch the tv to 3d before switching the glasses on.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 09 May 2024, 2:33 am