Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+5
jake001
jenstar
Eilis
mike
Nick
9 posters

our wet dandy

Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

our wet dandy Empty our wet dandy

Post by Nick Fri 15 Jun 2012, 6:01 pm

we got back today towing the dandy in the worst rain i have ever towed in.The dandy is now soaking wet inside due to the inadequate length of the trailer cover allowing water to be de driven underneath the front.
    Its a design fault and possibly not helped by the struts sticking out,the cover is only 3inches longer than the tub at the front!
    So from now on i will put longer tarp underneath before putting cover on until i can buy a newer deeper cover.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

our wet dandy Empty Re: our wet dandy

Post by mike Fri 15 Jun 2012, 6:18 pm

NickB wrote:we got back today towing the dandy in the worst rain i have ever towed in.The dandy is now soaking wet inside due to the inadequate length of the trailer cover allowing water to be de driven underneath the front.
    Its a design fault and possibly not helped by the struts sticking out,the cover is only 3inches longer than the tub at the front!
    So from now on i will put longer tarp underneath before putting cover on until i can buy a newer deeper cover.

That was something that concerned me with the factory cover,no problem with the new one though but i still use the old cover for storing as it keeps the dandy dry while standing but also provides for better air flow than the deeper one.
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis Fri 15 Jun 2012, 6:34 pm

interesting that i had water inside the dandy when i arrived at woodhall having driven through driving rain

i thought i'd left something wet inside but this confirms that the dandy does have its limits
    jenstar
    jenstar

Post by jenstar Fri 15 Jun 2012, 10:13 pm

Oh, does this happen with them all? Never heard of it before, does much water get in?
    jake001
    jake001

Post by jake001 Fri 15 Jun 2012, 10:25 pm

I have had water in after driving through torrential rain, the problem is definitely made worse by the struts. The higher (bed side) strut is almost covered by the standard cover but it would need to be very deep to cover the lower(bed/settee side) strut.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sat 16 Jun 2012, 5:02 am

jenstar wrote:Oh, does this happen with them all? Never heard of it before, does much water get in?

The cover on my 6 only just covers the trailer top edge and ive never had it although been concerned about it,the struts make it more likely i think,and then only in very heavy rain.

As nick said a cheap tarp on first hanging lower would solve it and only be needed in very wet towing conditions,or a strip of pvc sewn on the bottom of your existing cover,and when the time comes for a new cover have it made deeper.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I have had to add some bungee buttons lower on the trailer
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sat 16 Jun 2012, 6:03 am

Offer on a tarp [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] £7.99

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    vickoir
    vickoir
    Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir Sat 16 Jun 2012, 8:19 am

looks like im off to lidl monday we already have a huge tarp but for that price im getting another
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Sat 16 Jun 2012, 8:45 am

Our green cover doesn't cover all the gap either and rain would get in even when just standing, but as Mike says it's good ventilation when it's not raining.

On the road in the wet, the rain drives into the trailer, but it won't be driving in really really really bad rain, as the wipers on the car can't cope, so we have to stop. lol!

The discovery's cover is a lot deeper, I don't think that will have the same problem, also that doesn't have the 40 odd holes in it that the green one has. What a Face
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Sat 16 Jun 2012, 8:50 am

I had the same problem when towing in the rain splash back from the car and the cover lifts water gets underneath I thought of putting a extra peace at the front with Velcro to keep it down flower
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sat 16 Jun 2012, 8:31 pm

We had a blue pvc sheet just like the Dandy material that we used to put on under the trailer cover ...... we didn't know why as we bought the Dandy like that but have since learned that it was probably due to this problem, I then measured wrong for a new cover so had to alter it when it arrived but the result is good as it's deeper than the old cover and we also drove through horrendous ( hard to see through ) rain today with no problems of rain getting under the cover ....... just the outside of the Dandy is wet where it was put away wet but nothing got inside under the cover if you can understand what I mean scratch

I am shattered and in need of a holiday our wet dandy 2829330259

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 27 Apr 2024, 10:47 pm