Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+5
Tow Itch
Eilis
jake001
The Admiral
Helen
9 posters

Christmas - are you ready

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Christmas - are you ready Empty Christmas - are you ready

Post by Helen Wed 12 Dec 2012, 6:56 am

Christmas is almost here now, the decorations are up and we're still deciding what to do about the time in between Christmas and New year Shocked It all depends on the weather, if the snow holds off we may still get a few days away. We've done the majority of stuff for Christmas now, the cakes already iced as I'd already put enough booze in, just to make sure though I added cognac to the heated apricot jam that stuck the marzipan in place Laughing Also made some cupcakes as testers packed with bournville and finished with a Baileys frosting .... taste pretty good but may leave out the chunks of bournville next time from the chocolate sponge mix as they're a bit rich.

We do the fresh food shop as late as possible ..... we dread it every year as the stores are packed so try to go during the night when it's quieter but the downside is that the shelves aren't always stocked. May try the online route this year Suspect Turkey's seem to have shot up in price from last Christmas, a crown is ridiculously expensive affraid
    The Admiral
    The Admiral

Christmas - are you ready Empty Re: Christmas - are you ready

Post by The Admiral Wed 12 Dec 2012, 11:02 am

More or less ready cards have all been written and posted, presents have all been wrapped and the decorations are all up. Only thing left is the food shopping, which will be done towards the end of next week!
    jake001
    jake001

Post by jake001 Wed 12 Dec 2012, 12:39 pm

Got goose today (see bargains) as neither of us is keen on turkey we've had one for years (not the same one Kevin Rolling Eyes ). The great thing about them is that you end up with about £10 worth of goose fat to cook your potatoes in for the next few months Christmas - are you ready 3517506835
    IKEA tree up but not decorated yet, cakes well fed Christmas - are you ready 3965789718
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis Wed 12 Dec 2012, 7:26 pm

going to a restaurant for christmas dinner with a group of friends Smile

up to yorkshire boxing day for more family and food Christmas - are you ready 2170595768

most of the presents bought but none wrapped yet Christmas - are you ready 9639063
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 12 Dec 2012, 7:42 pm

Cards ..... Rolling Eyes

Not my favourite thing, I would rather have a box of something nice to eat What a Face

I'm not a humbug and like Christmas but cards ... Evil or Very Mad I have nowhere to put them and I always forget someone who then gets offended, I'm sure some leave them until the last minute just to see if I forgot to send them one and leave no time for me to right the wrong Twisted Evil
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Wed 12 Dec 2012, 9:17 pm

Helen wrote:Cards ..... Rolling Eyes

Not my favourite thing, I would rather have a box of something nice to eat What a Face

I'm not a humbug and like Christmas but cards ... Evil or Very Mad I have nowhere to put them and I always forget someone who then gets offended, I'm sure some leave them until the last minute just to see if I forgot to send them one and leave no time for me to right the wrong Twisted Evil

In case of wrong (omissions) send calendars

As with all things at Christmas when making lists for cards check them twice! (for those not grasping this see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] )
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Thu 13 Dec 2012, 1:20 am

jake001 wrote:Got goose today (see bargains) as neither of us is keen on turkey we've had one for years (not the same one Kevin Rolling Eyes ). The great thing about them is that you end up with about £10 worth of goose fat to cook your potatoes in for the next few months Christmas - are you ready 3517506835
    IKEA tree up but not decorated yet, cakes well fed Christmas - are you ready 3965789718
    jake001 wrote:as neither of us is keen on turkey we've had one for years (not the same one Kevin Rolling Eyes ).

It's hurtful how many people seem to think I snipe. I only offer constructive suggestions. i.e. see my sauce recommendations for goose [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I can't offer much to recommendations for a Christmas meal. As far as I was concerned my mum boiled the veg to death. A Sunday roast chicken was always moist but this was achieved by placing vast amounts of lard into the roast pan so the bird half roasted and half fried. This technique did work well for the turkey though.
    Where the over abundance of fat and a half roasting half frying did work was on the roast spuds. I do miss my mums roast spuds.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 13 Dec 2012, 8:50 am

We've had a few disasters with Christmas dinner, over boiled veg and only after Christmas dinner was it noticed that the roasties were still in the oven! Turkeys that didn't defrost in time so had to rush out and get several chickens instead. We used to get Turkeys from where John worked at Christmas as a bonus but one year it was so big it wouldn't fit in the oven lol! I think people did notice but were too polite to mention missing roast potatoes Laughing We had another Christmas where we forgot to blow out the candles on the table so while everyone was busy playing with the kids toys or snoring the false flowers on the candle holders caught fire as did the table cloth ..... managed to melt the acrylic salt mill and burnt the top of the table, also had to decorate as the ceiling was also affected affraid

I'm always more relaxed when dinner is over Very Happy

calanders .... great idea Christmas - are you ready 184121345
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Fri 14 Dec 2012, 8:19 pm

Our tree is up, and we've ordered a special pork pie from Riverford, that's our Christmas planned for this year. Very Happy

The old dog is still with us, we really can't believe it, so we're having a quiet time with him and let W recover from the legy, besides, no one wants us to visit till hes better. What a Face
    jake001
    jake001

Post by jake001 Sat 15 Dec 2012, 9:45 pm

Hope W recovers from lurgy (correct Milligan spelling) I had my jab last week, one of the benefits of being really old, it may work if the right type of flu is around Shocked As for pork pies, the best is the one you make yourself, it's easy peasy, honest bounce I have'nt bought one at Christmas for years. Any good cookbook will tell you how, just use a cake tin rather than trying to hand raise it and it's easy santa

Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Sat 15 Dec 2012, 10:02 pm

My spelling was more of a typing error lol. Never made pork pie before, we don't often have them so we thought it would make a nice treat.

W still isn't well, I've told him hes got till Christmas day to get well enough to cook lunch lol. Laughing
    jake001
    jake001

Post by jake001 Sun 16 Dec 2012, 2:12 pm

Went to Liverpool yesterday and got dragged around all the overheated, crowded shops Christmas - are you ready 143088812
    Managed for over three hours before I was allowed to retire to Wetherspoon's, still overcrowded, noisy and hot but at least I could take my coat off.
    I bravely managed another three hours or so in there Christmas - are you ready 40847162 Christmas - are you ready 40847162 Christmas - are you ready 40847162 Christmas - are you ready 40847162
    I then looked after what we had already bought while herself went out for more (and I stayed in for more cheers )
    Christmas - are you ready 1969780652 Christmas - are you ready 1969780652 Christmas - are you ready 1969780652 Christmas - are you ready 1969780652
    I quite like Christmas shopping Twisted Evil
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Sun 16 Dec 2012, 7:32 pm

Is it Christmas soon then? lol!

We are only just starting to sort ours out. We have had the usual manic rush leading up to it.
    Every body wanting their new carpet before Christmas.

As for shopping Rolling Eyes we don't like it at the best of times, let alone Christmas. Does this put us in the bah humbug club. lol!

We do enjoy watching our 4 legged friends opening their presents though. santa
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 19 Dec 2012, 9:15 am

Online shopping is ordered cheers presents are wrapped, cards still sat on dining room table waiting to be written Shocked
    spent yesterday at the Dentist having a crown removed and refitted .... I have an abscess .... I'm on antibiotics the last day of the course being Christmas day so no champagne for me until boxing day. Crying or Very sad
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Wed 19 Dec 2012, 1:27 pm

I hope you feel better soon. Christmas - are you ready 1468157981

W is still really bad, and now also on antibiotics for a chest infection. The old dog is not right again, hes been back to the vets and is on anti sickness tablets. And the AA had to come out to my campervan yesterday afternoon. Threes again. Christmas - are you ready 9639063 lol!
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 20 Dec 2012, 6:15 pm

I'm pleased now that we got such a big 3 way fridge ...... we've brought it in and are going to put the turkey in there until we cook it ready for Christmas Dinner Laughing
    Kimmie
    Kimmie

Post by Kimmie Thu 20 Dec 2012, 9:43 pm

jake001 wrote:Hope W recovers from lurgy (correct Milligan spelling) I had my jab last week, one of the benefits of being really old, it may work if the right type of flu is around Shocked As for pork pies, the best is the one you make yourself, it's easy peasy, honest bounce I have'nt bought one at Christmas for years. Any good cookbook will tell you how, just use a cake tin rather than trying to hand raise it and it's easy santa

Hey I got jabbed twice - flu and pneumonia affraid
    And I'm not REALLY old Embarassed

Though my 4 and 5 year olds do think I can remember the dinosaurs scratch
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Fri 21 Dec 2012, 11:32 am

jake001 wrote:Hope W recovers from lurgy (correct Milligan spelling) I had my jab last week, one of the benefits of being really old, it may work if the right type of flu is around Shocked As for pork pies, the best is the one you make yourself, it's easy peasy, honest bounce I have'nt bought one at Christmas for years. Any good cookbook will tell you how, just use a cake tin rather than trying to hand raise it and it's easy santa

you on Jake! we all be looking forward to YOUR pork pies on next years meet Christmas - are you ready 2702329197
    hope all that are suffering gets well soon a few hot toddies kills or cures depending the size of the jugs
    Christmas - are you ready 9639063 no dec's up yet!, shopping not done yet!, cant find my decorations put them some were and gone so rushing out to get more! all half price so bargain gone for wild bore for x mass dinner collect on Mon think the butcher still has to hunt and catch the thing Christmas - are you ready 3462454224 after the disaster last year my friend is cooking .. normally just my son,dogs and me but due to sad situation he's on his own and think my son is happy after last year needless to say trauma dog in the oven turkey in the washing up bowl ended up with spag bol Christmas - are you ready 3462454224 Christmas - are you ready 3462454224 Christmas - are you ready 3462454224 Christmas - are you ready 3462454224 so sat is the day to get every thing or not as for x mass cards I am sorry I don't do as always forget to send so do new year cards just to be different Christmas - are you ready 3462454224 Christmas - are you ready 3462454224 Christmas - are you ready 3462454224 Christmas - are you ready 3462454224
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sat 22 Dec 2012, 6:50 pm

I thought I was ready ...... I'm not affraid

Online shopping arrived with lots & lots of substitutions ...... since when did large pork sausages look like chipolatas! I ordered braised red cabbage in an apricot & cranberry glaze ...... I got a raw red cabbage No and my extra special new potatoes turned into Maris Pipers on the way here, the cocktail prawns also grew into king prawns Shocked

We did manage to brave the stores and it was empty ..... typical silent silent silent

The icing frill for cake number 2 is causing trouble and the kitchen looks like a bomb hit. Rolling Eyes

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 09 May 2024, 10:05 am