Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+3
Tow Itch
mike
Calan
7 posters

First time out

Calan
    Calan

First time out Empty First time out

Post by Calan Sun 12 May 2013, 4:49 pm

Bought a Dandy Dart 1991 model a couple of weeks ago. Just been out for our first outing. Im really impressed. Its a great unit with full awning and nice and easy to put up. Hoping to get many years use from it. bounce
    P.S. How do I post pictures.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

First time out Empty Re: First time out

Post by mike Sun 12 May 2013, 5:07 pm

Great news pleased you enjoyed the experience Very Happy

How to post pictures,its easier than it looks

Across the top of the reply box you will see a row of icons
    run your curser across until it displays host an image
    click that and a box should open saying upload image
    click browse
    find the picture on your computer
    double click the picture
    it should then show the url next to browse
    click host it
    you will then have 3 boxes
    thumbnail ignore this
    image this is the one you want
    image url ignore this one
    click the image one it should turn blue
    then right click it and select copy
    then paste this in your post
    at the bottom of the box is upload click this
    when the box changes back to the first box you can click the host an image icon again and it will close the box,or you can go through the process again to upload more images
    if you want to click preview it will show your post with images
    then click send.
    mike
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 12 May 2013, 5:16 pm

Calan wrote:Bought a Dandy Dart 1991 model a couple of weeks ago. Just been out for our first outing. Im really impressed. Its a great unit with full awning and nice and easy to put up. Hoping to get many years use from it. bounce

Welcome upon your first post. Now you have joined in it won't be so lonely out there. (Poor Callan joke see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] if yonger than late 40s)

Hopefully we were of use as you bought or did you find us just after?

I see Mike has just given you the instructions on adding pictures. Looking forward to those, we love pictures.

Do tell us about your first outing as well, feel free to post a review.
    Calan
    Calan

Post by Calan Sun 12 May 2013, 6:24 pm

Tow Itch wrote:
    Calan wrote:Bought a Dandy Dart 1991 model a couple of weeks ago. Just been out for our first outing. Im really impressed. Its a great unit with full awning and nice and easy to put up. Hoping to get many years use from it. bounce

Welcome upon your first post. Now you have joined in it won't be so lonely out there. (Poor Callan joke see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] if yonger than late 40s)

Hopefully we were of use as you bought or did you find us just after?

I see Mike has just given you the instructions on adding pictures. Looking forward to those, we love pictures.

Hi yes Iv been called Callan since the series came on TV in the late 60s/early 70s. My name is Woodward. It was my bloody maths teacher that started and its stuck ever since. Most people don't make the connection nowadays.

Do tell us about your first outing as well, feel free to post a review.
    Calan
    Calan

Post by Calan Sun 12 May 2013, 6:40 pm

Still failed to upload photos. However decided to book in to a campsite called Secret Garden in Wisbech. The Dandy towed really well behind the Suzuki Grand Vitara.
    We are based in Wakefield, West Yorkshire, so it was about 130mile trip. It was interesting putting it up in the gale force winds on Thursday, but we managed. Love the build quality of the Dandy. We had a great weekend and would recommend the campsite to anyone.

Calan
    Calan

Post by Calan Sun 12 May 2013, 6:48 pm

mike wrote:Great news pleased you enjoyed the experience Very Happy

How to post pictures,its easier than it looks

Across the top of the reply box you will see a row of icons
    run your curser across until it displays host an image
    click that and a box should open saying upload image
    click browse
    find the picture on your computer
    double click the picture
    it should then show the url next to browse
    click host it
    you will then have 3 boxes
    thumbnail ignore this
    image this is the one you want
    image url ignore this one
    click the image one it should turn blue
    then right click it and select copy
    then paste this in your post
    at the bottom of the box is upload click this
    when the box changes back to the first box you can click the host an image icon again and it will close the box,or you can go through the process again to upload more images
    if you want to click preview it will show your post with images
    then click send.
    mike

Thanks for the instructions Mike. However I still failed. God knows where the photos are now LOL.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 12 May 2013, 6:54 pm

Calan wrote:

Still failed to upload photos. However decided to book in to a campsite called Secret Garden in Wisbech. The Dandy towed really well behind the Suzuki Grand Vitara.
    We are based in Wakefield, West Yorkshire, so it was about 130mile trip. It was interesting putting it up in the gale force winds on Thursday, but we managed. Love the build quality of the Dandy. We had a great weekend and would recommend the campsite to anyone.

Do have another go but I'll PM you an email address so you can send me the photos and I'll host them if all else fails.

If you are erecting or breaking up in high winds seriously consider having the fixed end of the roof turned into the wind. You can raise the legs and turn the Dandy to any direction you want after erection.
    I've had a roof taken out of my hand (in a quite moderate wind) when packing up it moves under a very large force. Easily enough energy to dent a car roof or more importantly break a collarbone or skull if they were struck by the bar in the end of the roof.
    Calan
    Calan

Post by Calan Sun 12 May 2013, 7:05 pm

Tow Itch wrote:
    Calan wrote:

Hi, the previous owners told me to just that. Im really glad he gave me that advice cos the winds on Thursday were really bad. Been using tents for the past 35yrs, so fin the Dandy very easy. Its had the gas struts fitted to make life easier.

Do have another go but I'll PM you an email address so you can send me the photos and I'll host them if all else fails.

If you are erecting or breaking up in high winds seriously consider having the fixed end of the roof turned into the wind. You can raise the legs and turn the Dandy to any direction you want after erection.
    I've had a roof taken out of my hand (in a quite moderate wind) when packing up it moves under a very large force. Easily enough energy to dent a car roof or more importantly break a collarbone or skull if they were struck by the bar in the end of the roof.
    navver

Post by navver Sun 12 May 2013, 7:12 pm

Wow, that looks a beautiful site.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Is turning it into wind all you need to do in high winds or is there any more we should consider. High winds seem to be the norm a lot these days.
    Calan
    Calan

Post by Calan Sun 12 May 2013, 7:21 pm

navver wrote:Wow, that looks a beautiful site.

Is turning it into wind all you need to do in high winds or is there any more we should consider. High winds seem to be the norm a lot these days.
    First time I have put one up. It was difficult, but with the help and direction of my wife we managed ok.
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Sun 12 May 2013, 8:54 pm

Hello and First time out 936075699 Calan and wifey. Smile

That does look like a very nice site you went to.

How are you getting on uploading your pics? Which bit are you having trouble with?

Keep trying, its a learning curve. lol!
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 12 May 2013, 10:29 pm

Calan's Photos.

Mr Calan was unduly modest that the pictures were uninteresting.

So from the above we have either determined so much:
    You have a Dandy dart with an awning. We could have guessed from your avatar.
    It looks like a well tended site and I imagine the greenery will be in full bloom by now. Fire pits are good for the pyromaniacs amongst us.
    It's uninsulated but has the oddity of a right hand sided stove which are normally found on Deltas or 6's. Why?
    They look like posh seats not bargain box from Asda and you have a carpet rather than a groundsheet.
    Looking at the clarity of the main unit you are cooking and washing up in the awning. A good few choose to do this.
    Next it's a pondering moment, either you haven't yet bought a water container yet and you are keeping water in a 11/2 litre glass bottle, you drink clear spirits either vodka or white rum or gin (given the proximity of coke? bottles not gin) it could be late on in the weekend? If none of the previous you drink more than the recommended number of units of alcohol. If we ever get to group camping I suggest you park near myself, Helen, Jake or Mark and Jen the methodists can take the other end of the field.
    Calan
    Calan

Post by Calan Sun 12 May 2013, 11:11 pm

Tow Itch wrote: Calan's Photos.

Mr Calan was unduly modest that the pictures were uninteresting.

So from the above we have either determined so much:
    You have a Dandy dart with an awning. We could have guessed from your avatar.
    It looks like a well tended site and I imagine the greenery will be in full bloom by now. Fire pits are good for the pyromaniacs amongst us.
    It's uninsulated but has the oddity of a right hand sided stove which are normally found on Deltas or 6's. Why?
    They look like posh seats not bargain box from Asda and you have a carpet rather than a groundsheet.
    Looking at the clarity of the main unit you are cooking and washing up in the awning. A good few choose to do this.
    Next it's a pondering moment, either you haven't yet bought a water container yet and you are keeping water in a 11/2 litre glass bottle, you drink clear spirits either vodka or white rum or gin (given the proximity of coke? bottles not gin) it could be late on in the weekend? If none of the previous you drink more than the recommended number of units of alcohol. If we ever get to group camping I suggest you park near myself, Helen, Jake or Mark and Jen the methodists can take the other end of the field.
    Thanks for doing the pics for me. To answer your observations, didn't need water container as fully serviced pitch with tap just outside tent. Used a breathable groundsheet with an Outwell Montana carpet folded down to fit. Drink is white rum, wife Tracey is a bit of an alky LOL. Sight was very good, had a micro brewery on sight. Sat night was beer tasting night.
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Mon 13 May 2013, 12:07 am

Hi Calan and welcome Smile

Love the photos - it looks like a really well maintained Dandy you've been lucky to get hold of.

I've just been looking up the details of that incredible site too - it's a bit of a trek for us but I'd definitely like to visit it if the opportunity arises.

I must express my disappointment at the fact that the forum's official 'Technical Researcher' (pictured below) has been distracted by the sight of a bottle of spirits and failed to properly enquire about the place said bottle is stored. That kitchen unit looks really well constructed and highly practical. I would love to know more about it.

Calan
    Calan

Post by Calan Mon 13 May 2013, 3:49 pm

peridot wrote:Hi Calan and welcome Smile

Love the photos - it looks like a really well maintained Dandy you've been lucky to get hold of.

I've just been looking up the details of that incredible site too - it's a bit of a trek for us but I'd definitely like to visit it if the opportunity arises.

I must express my disappointment at the fact that the forum's official 'Technical Researcher' (pictured below) has been distracted by the sight of a bottle of spirits and failed to properly enquire about the place said bottle is stored. That kitchen unit looks really well constructed and highly practical. I would love to know more about it.

Hi, its a sunncamp unit. Had it about 5 years now. Good bit of kit couldnt do without it now. Got it from kenmar camping. (info@kenmarcamping.co.uk)

Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Mon 13 May 2013, 7:40 pm

peridot,

We don't know how you got the photo of Mr Itch as we thought he was camera shy.
    You must have caught him on a good day.
    We never realized he was so photogenic. affraid First time out 3462454224

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    navver

Post by navver Mon 13 May 2013, 8:25 pm

Here's an idea for an awning kitchen.

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 13 May 2013, 8:42 pm

navver

Don't know what the shape is called but will we be seeing slots cut and shelves with screws in the ends fitted?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Wed 15 May 2013, 11:14 pm

Calan - thanks for the kitchen unit details. I've never seen that one before but it looks like it's still available and I want one Smile

I have one of the massive Cabelas kitchen units (pic below) that I imported from the US when we were tent campers. It's too big for our needs now so I'm going to put it on ebay and squander the proceeds on the Sunncamp one tongue

navver - your picture has wound me up Smile One of the annoying things about my recently acquired Riva Destiny is the lack of an undersink cupboard. We found this a useful cubby hole for little bits and pieces and it just looks wrong not to have a door there. I had assumed that none of the 'Riva' units had an undersink cupboard but clearly they did. Perhaps it was just another one of the little cost cutting measures in the dying days of Riva Mad

navver

Post by navver Wed 15 May 2013, 11:45 pm

Sorry about that Peridot. My kitchen definitely has a very large undersink cupboard and very useful it is too. I did notice on the toilet destinies that they have dropped it and I can't see why. It's probably because thy think you don't need the space.

They also used to have 4 burner cookers but seem to have dropped that as well.

But I think this is the ktchen you're after.

This site has loads of useful stuff for dandies because VW campers are similar in that they need good quality kit that fits in a small space.
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Thu 16 May 2013, 12:17 am

Thanks for that link navver. I had seen it on Amazon from a third-party supplier but at £86. Justkampers shows not in stock - I might try ordering one and see what happens.

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 16 May 2013, 9:33 am

Welcome to the forum Calan & Tracey ...... I'm with Tracey on the white rum First time out 184121345 although I've been known to take a mini bar with me too .... those empty individual soft drink bottles with the labels removed come in very handy for this and a marker pen works well on them to make sure I know whats what. I never take a small bottle of white rum though they're always full size First time out 3498837457

Your Dandy looks lovely, I love the awning carpet it looks very cosy.

First time out 1217042266
    Calan
    Calan

Post by Calan Thu 16 May 2013, 7:56 pm

peridot wrote:Calan - thanks for the kitchen unit details. I've never seen that one before but it looks like it's still available and I want one Smile

I have one of the massive Cabelas kitchen units (pic below) that I imported from the US when we were tent campers. It's too big for our needs now so I'm going to put it on ebay and squander the proceeds on the Sunncamp one tongue

navver - your picture has wound me up Smile One of the annoying things about my recently acquired Riva Destiny is the lack of an undersink cupboard. We found this a useful cubby hole for little bits and pieces and it just looks wrong not to have a door there. I had assumed that none of the 'Riva' units had an undersink cupboard but clearly they did. Perhaps it was just another one of the little cost cutting measures in the dying days of Riva Mad
    Wow that's some kitchen unit you brought from the states. It looks really great. The sunncamp one is £74 at Kennmar Camping I think.

Calan
    Calan

Post by Calan Thu 16 May 2013, 7:59 pm

Helen wrote:Welcome to the forum Calan & Tracey ...... I'm with Tracey on the white rum First time out 184121345 although I've been known to take a mini bar with me too .... those empty individual soft drink bottles with the labels removed come in very handy for this and a marker pen works well on them to make sure I know whats what. I never take a small bottle of white rum though they're always full size First time out 3498837457

Your Dandy looks lovely, I love the awning carpet it looks very cosy.

Hi Helen thanks. It seem a friendly forum.

First time out 1217042266
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 16 May 2013, 8:21 pm

The people here are okay well mostly

lol! only joking they're all very helpful and friendly too. I'd camp with any of them and know I'd have a lovely time Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 02 May 2024, 11:54 am