Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

5 posters

Sun Canopy and Awning Curtains for a Dandy Designer

Lulli22
    Lulli22

Sun  Canopy and Awning Curtains for a Dandy Designer Empty Sun Canopy and Awning Curtains for a Dandy Designer

Post by Lulli22 Sun 23 Jun 2013, 3:32 pm

I have just been looking at the various bits and bobs we were given when we bought our Dandy Designer a few years ago.  We have a full original awning, but there also seems to be a much smaller piece of pvc with velcro along one edge and metal eyelets along the other.  Could this be the sun canopy?  Does anyone happen to have a photo of the Dandy sun canopy?  There are also four rectangular pieces of pvc with a fleecy type backing and edges, which I presume are curtains for the awning.
    navver

Sun  Canopy and Awning Curtains for a Dandy Designer Empty Re: Sun Canopy and Awning Curtains for a Dandy Designer

Post by navver Sun 23 Jun 2013, 3:50 pm

The sun canopy is the length of the dandy long by 6 feet wide. It is basically an awning roof. Has 3 pockets at the front for three short poles to sit in. Has press studs near the dandy to clip to the roof poles. Has ties on the Dandy end to pass under the dandy roof and tie to the dandy roof bars. Has 3 eyelets at each end for guys.

Could the 'much smaller piece of pvc with velcro along one edge and metal eyelets along the other' be a skirt to go along the bottom of the trailer. If so it will be about 1 or 2 feet high, velcrod (is that the correct verb) to the trailer and eyelets for pegging to the ground.

This is my sun canopy:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Sun  Canopy and Awning Curtains for a Dandy Designer Empty Re: Sun Canopy and Awning Curtains for a Dandy Designer

Post by Tow Itch Sun 23 Jun 2013, 4:31 pm

No idea what the 4 other pieces are Dandy curtains aren't PVC. Photos of all 5 pieces might be an idea. Please give us the sizes too.

We love photos and we love a puzzle as well.
    The Admiral
    The Admiral

Post by The Admiral Sun 23 Jun 2013, 4:54 pm

I was thinking the same Navver that the smaller velcroed piece might be the one that goes along the bottom underneath the door.
    Lulli22
    Lulli22

Post by Lulli22 Sun 23 Jun 2013, 11:44 pm

Navver and The Admiral, I think you may be right in thinking that the small piece of pvc is for the bottom of the trailer, as the measurements sound about right and it is obviously far too small to be a sun canopy.  By the way, I have a yellow strap just like the one in your photo Navver and presume it is helping to keep the canopy from lifting in the wind?  Tow Itch I will take photos of the mystery pieces of material and let you know their measurements. Sun  Canopy and Awning Curtains for a Dandy Designer 115684958
    navver

Post by navver Mon 24 Jun 2013, 12:34 am

Glad you like my yellow strap. No kidding, the instructions say it is for holding an awning firmly anchored to the ground in light winds only.
    Light winds in sailing are light airs or light breeze, up to 6mph.

There may be some velcro across the back of the dandy below the door for that strip.
    Lulli22
    Lulli22

Post by Lulli22 Mon 24 Jun 2013, 12:43 am

Thanks Navver.  I'll have a look later on today, but I'll say goodnight now.Sleep
    Lulli22
    Lulli22

Post by Lulli22 Mon 24 Jun 2013, 5:55 pm

Well I have now had a look at the Dandy and have found the strip of velcro, so the smaller piece of PVC is the part of the awning that goes under the door.

I have now measured the mystery pieces of material and have discovered that there are in fact six pieces.  I only measured one, as they all look identical to me.  It is 38" by 53" and the material has been turned over on one short end to encase a pole or wire, which does indicate that it is a curtain.  The material has a suede effect with a plastic backing.

I have taken a photo but am having problems uploading it onto the forum.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 24 Jun 2013, 9:15 pm

Lulli22 wrote:Well I have now had a look at the Dandy and have found the strip of velcro, so the smaller piece of PVC is the part of the awning that goes under the door.

I have now measured the mystery pieces of material and have discovered that there are in fact six pieces.  I only measured one, as they all look identical to me.  It is 38" by 53" and the material has been turned over on one short end to encase a pole or wire, which does indicate that it is a curtain.  The material has a suede effect with a plastic backing.

I have taken a photo but am having problems uploading it onto the forum.

Accepting that you haven't yet uploaded photos. Mike's guide:

Mike wrote:Thought i would post this as a step by step guide

this is the way i do it.

Across the top of the reply box you will see a row of icons
    run your curser across until it displays  host an image
    click that and a box should open saying upload image
    click browse
    find the picture on your computer
    double click the picture
    it should then show the url next to browse
    click host it
    you will then have 3 boxes
    thumbnail ignore this
    image this is the one you want
    image url ignore this one
    click the image one it should turn blue
    then right click it and select copy
    then paste this in your post
    at the bottom of the box is upload click this
    when the box changes back to the first box you can click the host an image icon again and it will close the box,or you can go through the process again to upload more images
    if you want to click preview it will show your post with images 
    then click send.
    mike

Any problems please send to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but post on here to tell us you have sent the photos.

Lulli when you said that you bought the holiday home from someone who lived in France I assumed you to be French. Not only do you have excellent command of English but you post the measurement of the components in inches which half the population of this country under 40 have difficulty with. As someone with no language skills I'm humbled. Have you spent time here or a large amount of time with ex pats?
     Old joke what do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. What do you call someone who speaks two languages? Bilingual. What do you call someone who speaks one language? British.
    Lulli22
    Lulli22

Post by Lulli22 Mon 24 Jun 2013, 11:28 pm

Many thanks Tow Itch for the detailed instructions as to how to upload photos.  I am now going to give it a try, so wish me luck!

Hooray, it worked! Very Happy

Anyway, this is one of the pieces of fabric.  The dark blue side is the suede effect and the light blue side is the plastic.

By the way Tow Itch, I hope I am not going to disappoint you, but although I have lived in France for 10 years, I am in fact English.  I also find using imperial measurements far easier than metric, so that will give you a clue as to how old I am.  Wink

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 24 Jun 2013, 11:50 pm

That looks very curtain like. Might be a bit stiff though.I was thinking is your Dandy winterised if so then maybe these are blackout curtains to aid sleep. Though I don't know if they would work on a Brown Dandy but my Dandy is insulated (light blue)and it still lights up in the morning.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 25 Jun 2013, 8:09 am

I wonder if they were made so that the light blue plastic side go against the windows in the awning, the size sounds about right, windows often get condensation so perhaps this is to keep the curtains dry?

They look like very nice curtains Very Happy
    Lulli22
    Lulli22

Post by Lulli22 Tue 25 Jun 2013, 8:25 am

The Dandy is winterised Tow Itch, in that it has insulated walls, but there is no underfloor heater.   They are very nice curtains Helen.  In fact, the fabric has a lovely smooth feel to it and I wouldn't mind a similar colour fabric to recover the cushions and/or make new curtains for the Dandy.  As there are six curtains in total and they are all the same size, I very much doubt that they are for the Dandy itself and I think they are for the awning.  As I have not yet seen an erected Dandy awning, would this be the right number of curtains needed?
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 25 Jun 2013, 8:56 am

The awnings have 3 windows, 6 curtains and the length and width of yours sound about right ...... awning curtains have a channel in the top for a curtain wire to go through or some people choose dowel so depending what the previous owners used the channel my be a bit wider than is normal but still usable with curtain wire.

I did my seating in that colour and love it Very Happy
    Lulli22
    Lulli22

Post by Lulli22 Tue 25 Jun 2013, 9:16 am

Oh good, so it looks as if that mystery is now solved.  Where did you buy your curtain material Helen?
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 25 Jun 2013, 9:40 am

I've done my Dandy curtains a couple of times, sourced some material locally and got some from ebay ...... make sure your seating fabric is fire retardant, you'll find that most upholstery fabric already is.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 6:21 pm