Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+2
mike
carl
6 posters

Canvas Awning fitted to a Dandy Destiny (high side)

carl
    carl

Canvas Awning fitted to a Dandy Destiny (high side) Empty Canvas Awning fitted to a Dandy Destiny (high side)

Post by carl Sun 03 Jul 2011, 4:08 pm

Progress so far
    first thing i did was to measure the dandy from the floor at one end right over the were the roof goes to the other end this will give you a idea of size of owning needed
    (I am telling lies in the first part as i got a awning given but if i were going to pay for one i would have measured it first this way)
    i took the awning roof support bars and fitted some hooks so i could attach them to the dandy as a awning should do
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    Now you need to erect the awning onto the dandy so as you can mark the awning to attach
    fastening ties for the inside
    when you get to this stage you can go inside the dandy and there will be several places you can fasten the awning to [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    you can see that i have used blue shoe laces to do this
    to hold the awning in place i got a brass eyelets and put one on each place that there was something to fasten it to
    so now if you have kept up with me you should have your awning in place and securely fastened inside the dandy
    now you have to pull the roof ropes tight on the dandy to nip the awning and to make a lip so the rain want get in
    only then can you peg out your awning take the tension up on the frame
    there is still a little alterations to do to close the ends in under the beds as i dont know which way to go weather i put under bed covers so i can use the space under the beds or just to close inside the awning
    i hope i have explained clearly enough
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Canvas Awning fitted to a Dandy Destiny (high side) Empty Re: Canvas Awning fitted to a Dandy Destiny (high side)

Post by mike Sun 03 Jul 2011, 4:19 pm

Now that looks good,and a really good seal,if the awning had zip out panels it should be a doddle to erect.

mike
    Lol and Steve
    Lol and Steve

Canvas Awning fitted to a Dandy Destiny (high side) Empty Re: Canvas Awning fitted to a Dandy Destiny (high side)

Post by Lol and Steve Sun 03 Jul 2011, 11:56 pm

Hi Carl,

You don't half get on with things don't you.

That awning looks great.

We saw a traditional awning on a dandy 6 once and the owner had stitched a strap like a storm strap around the edge of the awning then tied it down with a rachet at either end and it worked brilliantly, this may be something you may be able to do.

We would definately do it ourselves but we can't remember what size awning the man said he used.

We did buy an awning that we thought was the right size and it turned out to be too small Canvas Awning fitted to a Dandy Destiny (high side) 9639063 so i had to sell it and i wouldn't want to try buying one again unless i knew the right size, cos i can't keep buying awnings to try till i find the right one, so we had settled for a porch (until seeing yours.)

Do you know what size caravan your awning is for and if you don't mind would you measure the piping that is supposed to go on the caravan rail please.

If i can find out the correct size i would give it another try as the one we saw was brilliant.

Thanks very much,
    lol!
    Lol and Steve
    Lol and Steve

Post by Lol and Steve Mon 04 Jul 2011, 12:06 am

Hi again Carl,

I meant to ask, have you only got three roof poles in the awning? if so then you could probably do with another two for stability, as my pvc awning has got five roof poles, there is an extra one above the door and another above the window.

Hope this helps you.

lol!
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 05 Jul 2011, 8:31 am

Looking good Carl and without having to mess with rails along the front too, colour match is great considering it was given (you lucky lad) loads of extra space. Canvas Awning fitted to a Dandy Destiny (high side) 2792229418 The size of the awning is important to know so it would help if you could find out. Canvas Awning fitted to a Dandy Destiny (high side) 115684958
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 17 Jan 2012, 12:30 pm

Okay, this is a good awning to have on a destiny but just to clear things up ............ You take a tape measure from the floor directly underneath the edge of the bed then continue along the edge of the dandy up to the roof and all around the top edge of the dandy roof and right down to the ground on the other side. It is as though you are throwing a rope from the ground over the dandy from end wall to end wall and back down to the ground on the other side and this is your measurement. This will give you the size of the caravan awning required. I did this once a few years ago and not understanding how these things were measured got one that wasn't the correct size and had to sell it on. I have only just realised that the measuring instructions could do with a bit of explaining, caravan awnings come in sizes but are measured in cms so if you see one you fancy on preloved or ebay google the make and check on the size.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 17 Jan 2012, 2:17 pm

For those that have never had experience of a Dandy awning or Caravan awning using this method does not need anything doing to your Dandy at all, you just add Hooks (picture 1) to the Caravan awning frame these simply sit over the Dandy frame, then add brass eyelets along the edge of the canvas part of the awning that sits against the dandy and tie shoe laces or something similar onto these then you can firmly secure it to the Dandy by tying on to the U hoops and roof poles inside the Dandy with these and onto the side bed boards with bungee as a normal Dandy Awning does.

You would need to 'fill in' on the inside to enclose but windreaks would do the job.

Last edited by Helen on Wed 18 Jan 2012, 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Missed a bit out)
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 16 Feb 2012, 11:33 am

Bump .......... just three hooks riveted to poles and a few eyelets added to the awning along with some ties. The destiny high side has the height for this, you just have to measure to find the size of awning required. No alterations or drilling required to the Dandy. If you get an acrylic awning it will need to be dry when packed but doesn't seem to soak the water like canvas, the later Dandy awnings were made from acrylic and not pvc.
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Tue 28 Feb 2012, 5:30 am

I think it may be a good idea to glue some soft fabric onto the U shaped brackets that come into contact with the Dandy pvc, as over time, I'm sure the friction caused by the wind would damage the pvc? I maybe being over cautious, but better safe than sorry.
    What make, model, and size is this being used please?
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Tue 28 Feb 2012, 11:50 am

Very Happy i have made little leather patches to fit under the awning poles that attach to the PVC on my Dandy did think of felt but got soggy and needed a tighter fit as my ends are loose Very Happy
    carl
    carl

Post by carl Tue 28 Feb 2012, 8:18 pm

Krist0n wrote:I think it may be a good idea to glue some soft fabric onto the U shaped brackets that come into contact with the Dandy pvc, as over time, I'm sure the friction caused by the wind would damage the pvc? I maybe being over cautious, but better safe than sorry.
    What make, model, and size is this being used please?
    Sorry not to sure of make or size as it is one that i had given to me
    you cant see on the photos but the pole dose not touch the side of the dandy the bracket holds it away but yes good idea if you make the brackets to tight
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Tue 28 Feb 2012, 9:19 pm

I have been waying up putting an awning rail on, but for all porch awnings, the fitting height is a minimum of 235. To fit a porch awning so that the window and door are inside the awning, the rail wouldn't be quite high enough, unless I sat the trailer on blocks every time. If I went for a 200 awning, that would be ok, as I could fit the awning rail more central, BUT then it would half cover the window.
    I think it will be easier to fit a full awning as you 2 have. I measured with a piece of string thrown over, and got 920cm. Just need to make sure I get one with steel poles I think, so I can weld or rivet hooks on. How long does it take you to set your awning up? Any tips before I take the plunge?
    carl
    carl

Post by carl Tue 28 Feb 2012, 9:26 pm

it is easy to drill and rivet the bars or you could drill all the way throw the bar and use coach bolts (ones with dome heads)
    i bent the hooks a little longer as i wanted the roof on the dandy to fold down as it should to stop any drafts from lifting it (hope this makes sense)
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Wed 29 Feb 2012, 1:10 am

yep, it certainly does. Good idea too, making the hooks longer. Thanks for that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 14 May 2024, 7:43 pm