Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+6
fearful wizard
Tow Itch
mike
Helen
Guzzimik
bigdavie
10 posters

new dandy need some advice

bigdavie

new dandy need some advice Empty new dandy need some advice

Post by bigdavie Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:31 am

hi.just bought my first dandy.its a designer and cant wait for the camping seasion to begin.seen photos on the forum look great.need a bit of advice on storage over winter.i have a hitch lock.dont have a garage.have to get wheel lock but don't know the best one any ideas.thanks    davie.new dandy need some advice 143088812
    Guzzimik

new dandy need some advice Empty Re: new dandy need some advice

Post by Guzzimik Thu 07 Nov 2013, 12:00 pm

Hi there
    Maybe an idea is to put the trailer on blocks and remove the wheels and nuts, I think along with a hitch lock it may be fairly secure.
    Just a thought
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 07 Nov 2013, 3:54 pm

Hi and welcome to the Dandy Campers new dandy need some advice 1217042266 also congratulations on finding your Dandy ..... great choice new dandy need some advice 184121345 

I'm not sure you can get a wheel clamp for 10inch wheels, most insurers don't expect you to put one on a trailer tent but don't take my word for that and check with your insurers, it's different for caravans and they are expected to have both hitch and wheel lock. You can pick up axle stands fairly cheap, think I paid a fiver for ours .... we don't bother using them though as we like our Dandy to be ready to roll ..... we like last minute weekends away Laughing
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Thu 07 Nov 2013, 5:01 pm

Taking the wheels off is a good idea but if you have it insured check with the insurance company,as taking them off means it cant be moved out of danger quickly.some 10inch wheel clamps.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 07 Nov 2013, 5:36 pm

I'll be having one of those myself Laughing 
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Thu 07 Nov 2013, 6:09 pm

mike wrote:Taking the wheels off is a good idea but if you have it insured check with the insurance company,as taking them off means it cant be moved out of danger quickly.some 10inch wheel clamps.

Yes it seems some insurance companies have a problem with the units not being mobile.

I would have thought that these are ideal solutions but some insurance companies don't like them.

If you want to do things on the cheap, 10 inch wheels are supposed to be getting expensive now but try a local scrap yard for Mini wheels and either weld a piece on or hole saw the tyres and pour in concrete
    fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard Thu 07 Nov 2013, 8:01 pm

bigdavie wrote:hi.just bought my first dandy.its a designer and cant wait for the camping seasion to begin.seen photos on the forum look great.need a bit of advice on storage over winter.i have a hitch lock.dont have a garage.have to get wheel lock but don't know the best one any ideas.thanks    davie.new dandy need some advice 143088812

This is the wheel clamp i had on my discovery before i sold it, they are insurance approved. Pete

navver

Post by navver Thu 07 Nov 2013, 9:05 pm

Hi Big davie and welcome to the forum and dandyland. Can't believe no-one's asked you for pictures. They usually do. My insurers don't require a wheel clamp so I don't have one but I guess you can't be too careful. My wife is home all day and the dog would go bananas if someone went near it, so I guess that makes ours a little safer.

You can try it out this time of year as long as you have some heating, either the gas if you have one or an electric heater.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Fri 08 Nov 2013, 12:45 am

As navver says no problem using at this time of year. Camped Christmas 2011, January 2012 and the coldest of the lot Easter 2013. No problems with either the gas heater or a convector if you are on EHU. I'm no hero either. Christmas 2011 was spent in socks jeans and T-shirt inside of an evening and probably far warmer than if at home.
    If stored outside an additional over cover that is longer than the sides may help. Try using a football or similar to incline the top to stop water pooling. If you choose to use water absorbing crystals put the entire apparatus inside a bowl or cut down bucket. The solution of the absorbed water is vile if spilt onto the carpet. Guess how I know?

Oh yes pictures please. "We love pictures here".

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Chez Hitch Christmas 2011
    bigdavie

new dandy need some advice Empty secure winter storage

Post by bigdavie Fri 08 Nov 2013, 12:24 pm

hi.thanks all for your replys regarding safe winter storage.some great pointers there.thinking of going down the sas wheel lock way.looks sturdy enough.the weather up here looking good tomorrow.hope to have the dandys first outing.post some photos later.thanks. bigdavie.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Fri 08 Nov 2013, 1:27 pm

Have a great first outing cheers 
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Tue 12 Nov 2013, 12:15 am

new dandy need some advice 936075699 new dandy need some advice 936075699 new dandy need some advice 936075699 new dandy need some advice 936075699  sorry im late great to hear your Dandy found you  have you named her yet  ?? the best thing is to insure her and the more security you apply the lower the cost of the insurance think they were shocked when I mentioned new dandy need some advice 344726530  highly trained attack dogs , barbed wire , anti aircraft guns, landmines,  laser matrix new dandy need some advice 3462454224 new dandy need some advice 3462454224 new dandy need some advice 3462454224 new dandy need some advice 3462454224 new dandy need some advice 3462454224 new dandy need some advice 3462454224 new dandy need some advice 3462454224
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Tue 12 Nov 2013, 8:46 pm

Hello and new dandy need some advice 936075699 bigdavie

Sorry we are late.Rolling Eyes 

How did the first outing go Question
    BobMcL
    BobMcL

Post by BobMcL Fri 15 Nov 2013, 11:39 pm