Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+4
Cazz
mike
Tow Itch
Rustyshaz
8 posters

Newbie looking for Dandy and lots of advice!

Rustyshaz

Newbie looking for Dandy and lots of advice! Empty Newbie looking for Dandy and lots of advice!

Post by Rustyshaz Mon 04 Mar 2013, 11:38 am

Hello all, My names Sharon and I'm an alcoholic (couldn't resist - sorry!)

I'm looking for my first Dandy, haven't been camping since I was about 6 (a long time ago)and never towed anything; therefore looking to spend very little just in case the whole idea soon wears off. Not fussed about cosmetics, as long as its roadworthy and watertight. I'm based in the NW. Any information on Dandy's for sale and advice on what to look for would be gratefully received. Thanks.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Newbie looking for Dandy and lots of advice! Empty Re: Newbie looking for Dandy and lots of advice!

Post by Tow Itch Mon 04 Mar 2013, 12:47 pm

Rustyshaz wrote:Hello all, My names Sharon and I'm an alcoholic (couldn't resist - sorry!)

I'm looking for my first Dandy, haven't been camping since I was about 6 (a long time ago)and never towed anything; therefore looking to spend very little just in case the whole idea soon wears off. Not fussed about cosmetics, as long as its roadworthy and watertight. I'm based in the NW. Any information on Dandy's for sale and advice on what to look for would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Well Sharon I'm here to share with you. No we're not doing that are we.

Brilliant post. It contains information. Try and mug a friend or relative with a towbar and something to tow, or don't if your easily put off. It's natural to be uneasy when first towing but one of the most comforting things you can learn is how stable the rear entry (o'er missus) Dandys are when compared to a longer type side entry folding camper. It's not to say that 6's or other longer campers are unstable but you can provoke or find situations and the tail wagging the dog feeling is not a fun one. I have a 4 and a Designer. You can feel the weight of the designer a bit more but that's all never any unpleasantness. I'm planning a trip to Spain this Summer and the French towing speed limit is 81mph. I may have towed in excess of this already there are never any issues.
    One downside is that shorter trailers are more difficult to reverse. Or reverse in the required direction. Dandys are a bit harder than 12' or 14' trailers but can be controllably reversed unlike the very short type trailers that require great skill or being unhooked.
    I'd normally offer the Designer to tow but I need to sort out the coupling and the brakes at the moment. Don't think that Dandys require lots of attention I greased the hubs and set the brake on the 4 when bought I didn't do the Designer and I wouldnt be surprised when I service it if it's the first proper service in it's 33 year life.

Sort of covered towing. You have not been camping since you were 6. What makes you suddenly want to go now? It's not just the towing and Dandys to cover you might just think camping is pants. Again any friend or relative to mug some camping equipment off? I know the Dandy should be more comfortable but some people just don't do camping. How do you see yourself with the Dandy. Top campsite with EHU WiFi luxurious showers perhaps a pool and more or field toilet water and anything else is a bonus?

Not wanting to question you too closely about how long ago being 6 was but did you pass your test after 1997? It would affect towing the latest, biggest Dandys and it would also affect some of your other towing options.

Do you live close enough to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to go have a look? You might not be buying but it's an easy way to see lots of kit.

See my reply to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Also see this because it's funny if you go to buy but owners don't know how to erect.

Rustyshaz

Newbie looking for Dandy and lots of advice! Empty Re: Newbie looking for Dandy and lots of advice!

Post by Rustyshaz Mon 04 Mar 2013, 1:32 pm

Blimey, so much information in my first reply - thank you Tow Itch!

Unfortunately, I am old enough to have passed my test prior to 1997 so towing test isn't an issue. I don't think I would go for anything bigger than a Designer, there's only me, the hubby and our 5 year old so don't need that much room.

I have friends that are into camping with their kids and would love the opportunity to spend more time with them, but the thoughts of airbeds and canvas are far from appealing. The in-laws have a static on a very basic site which gets a little cramped with us all there and so having spent 12 months debating I think that the Dandy is my best option (although my husband is far from convinced Laughing )

I do live very close to Riva and had thought of popping in for a nosey (prices are too much for me and I don't like to waste anyone's time) although I don't think it would do any harm if I was upfront with them.

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Mon 04 Mar 2013, 2:11 pm

Newbie looking for Dandy and lots of advice! 1217042266 to the forum,there will soon be loads for sale
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Mon 04 Mar 2013, 2:52 pm

Hi Sharon, welcome to the forum. Where's my icons gone? I want to wave. :-)
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Mon 04 Mar 2013, 7:09 pm

Hello and Newbie looking for Dandy and lots of advice! 936075699 Rustyshaz.

We belong to your club too. Newbie looking for Dandy and lots of advice! 1912976309 Newbie looking for Dandy and lots of advice! 3462454224

Don't worry your Dandy will find you soon. bounce bounce
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 05 Mar 2013, 3:28 pm

Hi Sharon and welcome to the Dandy Campers ...... we tend to do our confessions around a campfire surrounded by empty bottles Laughing

Hope you find your Dandy soon ... drag the hubby along to riva and have him sit inside one, convince him he can't ever camp again without one Newbie looking for Dandy and lots of advice! 184121345 As for towing, it's easy to forget they are tagging along behind you ...... unless like me you have to keep looking in the mirror to make sure it's still there and it's not magically uncoupled itself Newbie looking for Dandy and lots of advice! 2716414575
    hakuna matata

Post by hakuna matata Tue 05 Mar 2013, 8:03 pm

Hi ya Sharon welcome . Newbie looking for Dandy and lots of advice! 1217042266

neil Cool
    Twindad
    Twindad

Newbie looking for Dandy and lots of advice! Empty Welcome

Post by Twindad Tue 05 Mar 2013, 8:20 pm

Newbie looking for Dandy and lots of advice! 1217042266 Newbie looking for Dandy and lots of advice! 936075699 Newbie looking for Dandy and lots of advice! 2792229418 Newbie looking for Dandy and lots of advice! 1066248140 Newbie looking for Dandy and lots of advice! 1428739134

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 08 May 2024, 9:28 pm