Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+3
rabbitlover
jake001
pete f
7 posters

newbie looking for advice

pete f

newbie looking for advice Empty newbie looking for advice

Post by pete f Wed 18 Sep 2013, 11:31 am

hi looking for practical advice.towcar is a Nissan micra 1000 cc engine manual gearbox, intend to tow a dandy dart,tend to travel light to keep overall weight down. Any one running a similar combo? ANY VIEWS ON SUBJECT Many thanks pete f
    jake001
    jake001

newbie looking for advice Empty Re: newbie looking for advice

Post by jake001 Wed 18 Sep 2013, 1:23 pm

I don't know what model Micra you have but see this link Very Happy 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Check your towing limit for braked trailers in your handbook, Parkers quote 600kg for the old model (93-02) which is 100kg more than a Dart cheers
    pete f

newbie looking for advice Empty jake 001

Post by pete f Wed 18 Sep 2013, 6:17 pm

thanks for that. I know in theory the micra should cope it would be nice to talk with someone that has been there and got the teeshirt IS THERE A CURE FOR "DANDYITUS" THINK I GOT THE BUG !!!!!! thanks pete f
    rabbitlover
    rabbitlover

Post by rabbitlover Wed 18 Sep 2013, 8:30 pm

Hi Pete, We have a delta which we tow with a 1.2 punto. We've had no problems except in heavy head winds when it's been a bit slow, but no stability issues.
    Judith
    pete f

newbie looking for advice Empty rabbitlover

Post by pete f Wed 18 Sep 2013, 8:54 pm

thanks Judith,i think the weights on both units are similar,Happy Camping pete f
    navver

Post by navver Wed 18 Sep 2013, 9:46 pm

I used to tow a caravan with a mini metro. It was a Freedom Sunseeker 4 berth 10 foot long. Had the wife, 2 kids and dog in the car. It was a diesel but only the 1.4 50hp without a turbo. It was fine on the flat but hills slowed it down, often only 40mph on motorway hills and 50 to 55 on the flat. There was a lot more wind resistance than a trailer

It's better if you don't carry to much heavy kit and better if there's only the two of you. it's the total loaded weight of car and dandy that really counts.

Mike tows a 6 with a Fiat Punto 1.2 without any bother. They are 750kg all up.

Although the dart is 500kg max weight you probably won't load it to that. The designer is also 500kg max weight but is a lot heavier unloaded.

The dandy is a braked trailer and that helps considerably. You may get a lighter trailer tent but it will probably be unbraked.

The Micra is a petrol and that is less good at towing than a diesel. You will probably need to change gear a lot on the hills.

Can you get a tow bar for it.
    pete f

newbie looking for advice Empty navvar

Post by pete f Wed 18 Sep 2013, 10:30 pm

thanks for that info I have a tow bar fitted and tow a Comanche petit t tent at 190kilo s without too much aggro big hills do require a bit of cog shifting. its only a one litre engine many thanks pete f
    navver

Post by navver Wed 18 Sep 2013, 10:39 pm

Ah so the dandy will only be like having a couple more people in the car if that will give you an idea of what it wil be like.
    pete f

Post by pete f Wed 18 Sep 2013, 11:23 pm

brill idea will hitch up and try and find two fat ladies to sit in the back an head for Porlock Hill GOIN TO BED NOW AN DREAM OF DANDYS HOPE IT DOESNT TURN INTO A NIGHTMARE GOODNIGHT NAVVER AND ANY ONE ELSE PASSIN BY
    hannah3dog

Post by hannah3dog Wed 02 Oct 2013, 8:27 pm

We tow this with 12 yr old Peugeot 106 (petrol 1.1litre) . Recently 700 miles Guernsey and back. 60mph no problems. We live in the Lakes and have to change down for big hills but its no problem

Hope it reassures you
    pete f

newbie looking for advice Empty to dandy or not to dandy

Post by pete f Thu 03 Oct 2013, 3:12 pm

big decision made its no to a dandy.! weight is too much for little micra,great pity but no point in wrecking the car.Am considering a camplet solena thanks all newbie looking for advice 2024858757 newbie looking for advice 115684958 
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Thu 03 Oct 2013, 8:30 pm

It's your choice and you will have already determined how you feel. Hope things go well with the Camplet. Think I saw a post of yours asking elsewhere about towing a Dandy with a Micra.
    For the record Mike tows a 6 with a Punto 1.2 but is conservative about hills.
    As above hanna3dog with Dandy and 1.1 106 pug.
    There are a number towing with classic Minis.
    Boom Trikes have at least one if not two Dandys.
    Cazz and Wayne tow a 5 or Regency with a 1964 Type 3 and they would not endanger that car in any way for anything.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

A lot of early Dandy literature mentions towing with Hillman Imps and the like and later mentions in brochures post the rear entry Dandys as being entirely suitable for things such as 2CVs with 6's requiring slightly more powerful vehicles such as Austin Metros.
    Yes for sure I own a Designer (well more than 1 actually) and can feel the weight more than my old 4 even when I towed with a Rover 600 but all are possible with lower power cars.
    pete f

newbie looking for advice Empty not yet a done deal

Post by pete f Thu 03 Oct 2013, 11:45 pm

Raclet Solerno is second best bet. Idid try ballasting my unit up 350 kgs and the micra did cope reasonably well, but then you have the weight of the awning, battery,etc,etc. any one know the weight of a dart awning ? Suppose I could weigh all the stuff we take on a trip and ballast that on top and try that
    Esermalda
    Esermalda

Post by Esermalda Fri 04 Oct 2013, 8:52 am

I have just looked at the solena unit and it looked lovely but what to do about cooking and boiling the kettle for the tea and where does the beer get cold? Does all this stuff have to be carted in the car? The dart gives you so much more room, an awning isn't strictly necessary. With the solena, you really NEED an awning. With the dart you both get a bed, and seating opposite each other. You can't play cards in a solena. There seems to be no storage area in it either. Even if you are not into cooking and intend to eat out each day (which we do, we eat lunch as main meal and just cup a soup and snacks in the evening) with the dart you can leave the cooker/basin area out completely, to save weight. But still have storage for the kettle and the soup/tea.
    Hope this makes sense,
    Essie xxxx
    hannah3dog

Post by hannah3dog Fri 04 Oct 2013, 10:10 am

Looks like they use 2CV!  Good luck
    pete f

newbie looking for advice Empty another spanner in the works

Post by pete f Fri 04 Oct 2013, 2:48 pm

hi have concluded that the Raclet Solena is as you have said small. so am going to stick with my Comanche Petit for the time being and if I get the chance to hang a Dart on the back and try it on the road then may just go for it... The Solena is a second best, and who wants to be second... thanks to Esmarelda and Hannah...You have saved me from a wrong choice...Have a great weekend
    navver

Post by navver Fri 04 Oct 2013, 10:28 pm

That's a very smart Dart and has full awning and shelf unit too.

The Dart is braked and that for me makes a big difference if towing with a small car. Not sure if the Solena is.
    The Riva Leisure weight of 350kg is for a dark blue dart. Not sure but the pale blue is probably lighter and could be only 250kg ex works for an early nineties, although 300kg is more likely for a late nineties.. The Solena is shown as 270kg ex works. My guess woud be 40kg max for a dandy awning including poles, possibly a little less.

You don't need a battery if you have EHU. Many dandies, as mine, have a 12volt power supply unit so a battery is not required. Mine has a grey plug which powers the dandy from the car battery. This isn't a bad setup even if not on EHU as long as the car is used during the day to recharge so I don't have a battery.
    pete f

newbie looking for advice Empty Navver to the rescue

Post by pete f Sat 05 Oct 2013, 12:12 am

thanks for very useful info the solena is unbraked. its bits of info like this I need...I see NooB tows a dart with a Hillman IMP could do with having a chat with him...will try and message him if I can figure out how Pete f

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 17 May 2024, 10:10 am