Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

4 posters

3 way fridge

Dan Dee

3 way fridge Empty 3 way fridge

Post by Dan Dee Sun 25 May 2014, 8:13 am

Hi guys, been very busy with the destiny and it is cleaning up a treat! want to go to cornwall for 2 weeks in the summer but alot of my favorite campsites are getting all booked up on the hook up pitches. If i go without a EHU can i run my fridge on battery or gas or is it too long for them to last? i could use battery for some days and gas for others but is it safe and how do i switch from one to the other? my fridge has a couple of switches but no writing on them? i would appreciate your opinons Very Happy
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

3 way fridge Empty Re: 3 way fridge

Post by mike Sun 25 May 2014, 1:22 pm

You cant use battery,its only for when your towing gas would work well some say better than 240volt,just check it and make sure the flame is blue if its orange it needs servicing
    navver

Post by navver Sun 25 May 2014, 5:07 pm

Definitely gas. No way will a battery run it. The 12volt option is only for when you are towing.

Not sure exactly on lighting it but from my caravan days. You will need to hold in the gas control knob while pressing a piezzo ignition button a few times until you see the pilot flame in a small glass window inside the fridge. You need to keep the knob pressed for 10 seconds or so after the flame appears.

The window is about an inch diameter and will be low down at the back of the fridge on the inside.

You may find to need to run the gas for a while until the air in the pipe has run through. Lighting the cooker may help with this.

There may be gas isolation valve somewhere, perhaps in one of the kitchen units. Make sure it is switched on.

There will be some ventilators outside which usually have removable covers for summer use. The top one should be warm if it is running OK.

Make sure you try it before you go away. They can be a bit temperamental.

Gas is a very good way of running it though. You wil probably not have thermostatic control of the temperature but will have a choice of low, medium or high. Just switch between these to keep it at a reasonable temperature, perhaps on low at night and medium by day. The higher the setting the more gas it will use.

You can probably google the fridge type for instructions.
    Dan Dee

Post by Dan Dee Mon 26 May 2014, 9:35 pm

thanks guys i will have a go and let you know how it goes Very Happy 
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Tue 27 May 2014, 3:14 am

Being top loaders most camping fridges or freezers don't have a pilot light inspection window, well I've never seen one. It's just a matter of feeling above the chimney.
    As naver says the initially purging the gas line of air is important along with giving the thermocouple time to warm up before releasing the lighting button or valve.
    If you have used this fridge on electric you should be aware but with absorption fridges it is VITAL that you keep them level. They night run a bit out from horizontal but this does them no good apparently though I know not why.

If you get used to using this you may find the gas fridge allows you to use cheaper non EHU sites.
    navver

Post by navver Tue 27 May 2014, 9:56 pm

I think they have a destiny so it will be a built in fridge which does have a window. I think it's bottom left. Forgot to mention, you probably need to switch the 2 switches off for ga. There is a green switch for mains operation and a red one for when you are towing with it pluggred into a grey socket on the car. The engine must be running for this though.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Wed 28 May 2014, 4:45 pm

navver wrote:I think they have a destiny so it will be a built in fridge which does have a window.  I think it's bottom left. Forgot to mention, you probably need to switch the 2 switches off for ga. There is a green switch for mains operation and a red one for when you are towing with it pluggred into a grey socket on the car. The engine must be running for this though.

On reflection I too now think they have a Destiny as it mentions it in the first line of their initial post. Sorry Dan Dee and navver for being completely useless. Trying to get back into the swing of posting after being a bit rough. Obviously the rest hasn't improved my comprehension of English nor my memory as I posted on Dan Dee's thread when he was selling his Designer.

Mr Dee. Oy come on where are these Destiny photos we're waiting for?

You never stated the model of fridge, hopefully one of these two:
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Failing that [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Tried to look for a decent animation of the absorption process here is the best of a bad job. Please note the "pump" isn't a physical pump it helps generate movement because of the convection current of the weak solution. The animation moves far too fast to understand. Well it did for me. I needed to watch at least 5 cycles of the film.
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    They invented the absorption fridge? Not sure on that but they did buy up a shed load of patents for the constant pressure absorption fridge (butane not hydrogen) from two guys in the 1930s one of whom became very famous. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    navver

Post by navver Wed 28 May 2014, 11:38 pm

The RM212 looks the most familiar. Good find.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 2:01 pm