Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

5 posters

fixing lilly

Caz1960
    Caz1960

fixing  lilly Empty fixing lilly

Post by Caz1960 Sun 01 Jun 2014, 10:01 pm

Here is another small project I hope  on Lilly the green managed to open her up today after all our rain

this is lilly
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

all ok you think now look closely no not seeing it ok here

dark clouds sorry makes the picture hard to see

anyway both roof poles are wrong one has been bent which makes it taller and narrower than the dandy the other one is made up of poles like the awning pole type
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

fixing  lilly Empty Re: fixing lilly

Post by Caz1960 Sun 01 Jun 2014, 10:10 pm

fixing  lilly 9639063 pressed send button

ok where was I the bat wings are straining I unfortunately tore the pvc by the doorway

on both back and front

sponge for only one side

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 02 Jun 2014, 1:30 am

Can't help you with the torn PVC but I'm curious about the hinged "U" bars.
    Is this your only 4 Caz or maybe the prehistoric blue one you have is sorted in some other way. My Green Un has bars that are bent with a raised centre section. I think it's because when folded the bar projects out slightly and the cover can cope with a slight hump on the one side but a full on U section would want to push the cover out too much near the front and the rear. Always wondered why they didn't use the same telescoping arrangement as on the other side.
    If it's too high then if the centre bit was deformed so as to raise the centre then wouldn't the top of the sides of the U (well the bit near the centre span as I can't print an upside down U) be drawn closer together so it would be wanting to draw the top of the front  and back walls together?
    No sign of the tubes pivot point being moved or the brackets that it is held in place by being relocated?
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 02 Jun 2014, 1:38 am

If it's too high then if the centre bit was deformed so as to raise the centre then wouldn't the top of the sides of the U (well the bit near the centre span as I can't print an upside down U) be drawn closer together so it would be wanting to draw the top of the front  and back walls together?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Looking at your picture and the relative position of the door end wall and the U tube maybe it has been bent. Look for any other option before we start bending back! It should still have two kinks and be raised in the middle.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Mon 02 Jun 2014, 5:06 am

Is this any better

Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Mon 02 Jun 2014, 11:59 am

thanks Mike that's alot better even I can see it !  fixing  lilly 2197500976  Tow hitch no the hinges are in the same place the other two blue's are fours but the roof poles are different configuration

Betty the 67

there are no poles from the bottom it just is putting the poles in place on the walls

then Miss Molly

now her pole when folded as you say sticks out a little bit but the green the pole sticks out  allot   Suspect

as you see they don't kink up both are straight across one is telescopic
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 02 Jun 2014, 2:27 pm

Don't know I've not laid a finger on the Green Un for ages it could conceivably be similar to your second blue 4. It wasn't pure bulshit from me though as I know at some point I've looked at that sort of central lift and I assumed it had to be on the Green Un as everything else I own is wider so the U poles fall within the width of the tub.

What are you thinking of doing with the batwings?
    I've dug up a couple of vendors of PVC but the front wall has a flap for the awning. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  http://www.profabrics.co.uk/index.php?cat=0000000002&catname=OUTDOOR+%26+CAMPING&subcat=0000000401&tag=0000000280&orderby=&limit=10&page=1&u=1401715381
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Mon 02 Jun 2014, 2:34 pm

Depending on the originality you want it could be repaired with a piece sewn on,i was assured by the guy that did my work it wouldn't leak if the right thread was used.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Mon 02 Jun 2014, 5:49 pm

Not much help Caz but ....... some plonkers bent your roofbar in two places  affraid it looks like it's bending away from the front wall of the Dandy ..... so probably has been bent in two places on the roof section of bar ........ either that or I'm looking at the angle all wrong. I know it's not much use and you probably already figured it out but wanted you to know that I am warming up my brain cell in an effort to help  What a Face
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Mon 02 Jun 2014, 9:42 pm

Caz,

We think that roof bar has been bent, probably when someone was erecting Lilly at some point.
    We had a similar thing happen when putting Phoenix up. Have the bed bases got metal reinforcing strips on them?   The roof hoop catches over these when erecting the first side and with the weight of the base swinging over it is easy to bend the hoop. It happened to us not quite so badly and we had to straighten it out again. Be careful not to flatten the tube, or break it.

Have you actually ripped the PVC on the batwing? Or has it pulled out from under the plastic trim?

If you have ripped it you might get away with putting a wider trim on and glueing or fixing the pvc to the back of it some how.
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Wed 04 Jun 2014, 2:34 am

Thank everyone definitely agree the pole has been bent on purpose or by accident  ( no it doesn't have metal bar on the beds )the reason I say on purpose it is in the same place on both sides of the pole  as for the bat wings it was ripped from the trim.. think I can replace them back in the replaced trim but trying to find out why it is pulling on both sides it could be due to the damaged roof pole pulling it in the wrong direction hopefully will play with her after I get back from my sisters
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Wed 04 Jun 2014, 5:12 pm

Caz1960 wrote:Thank everyone definitely agree the pole has been bent on purpose or by accident  ( no it doesn't have metal bar on the beds )the reason I say on purpose it is in the same place on both sides of the pole  as for the bat wings it was ripped from the trim.. think I can replace them back in the replaced trim but trying to find out why it is pulling on both sides it could be due to the damaged roof pole pulling it in the wrong direction hopefully will play with her after I get back from my sisters

If the PVC has pulled out then loss of clamping force or referring back to this post [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] being a little to strident with the leg erecting?

I've definitely seen a U pole shaped like that to some degree. I'm not saying it's not been exaggerated but as Phoenix has experienced it as well I might well check with Ian if I were you. I'm not a big fan of mythering him if we are not buying but I have definitely seen this so would show some caution.
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Wed 04 Jun 2014, 9:04 pm

thanks Tow Itch but it has nothing to do with the legs of the beds that was already checked and as Phoenix says that the reason might be the pole catching on the beds not through design as far as we know but I will give Ian a ring and see what he says

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content