Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+4
Helen
Eilis
mike
Nick
8 posters

wheel studs and wheels

Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

wheel studs and wheels - Page 2 Empty Re: wheel studs and wheels

Post by Nick Wed 20 Jul 2011, 9:25 pm

hooker128 wrote:There is more to this, standard mini wheels fitted to the old dandy where 10inch x 3.5 wide most alloys are 5.0 wide, some are 4.5 look at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I fitted BWA 5X12 MINI WHEELS with an offset of 35 mm standard mini wheels are 24 mm offset, you will have to do the sums with increased width and increased offset

Thanks for the info,i am trying to source 4.5's i believe these were common i think i read that these have a Offset of 31mm,so doing some basic calculations assuming that my current wheels are 3.5 mini's then the 4.5 wheels would sit 20mm closer to the inner arch.How much inner arch clearance do you think or know you have with you 5 x 12s?
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Thu 21 Jul 2011, 9:11 pm

took a wheel off tonight and its about 102mm wide with an offset of approx 22mm give or take 2mm,i have about 27mm clear between tyre and inside of arch.If i buy 4.5 x 12's with a ET35 i will be left with a clearance of maybe 8mm-10mm this will be fine as long as the dandy stays out of thick boggy mud Smile
    John
    John

wheel studs and wheels - Page 2 Empty wheels

Post by John Thu 21 Jul 2011, 9:39 pm

from the face of the hub to the edge of the trailer was 133mm a 5inch wheel is 127mm wide so with a 35 mm offset makes it 98.5inside and 28.5 outside 98.5 from 133 gave me 34.5 clearance on the inside that is wheel to chassis, the problem I had was the outside of the wheels where outside the mudguards so i moved the suspension over ten mm. So now if you follow this I now have a clearance of 24.5 between body and tyre and the wheel sits within the mudguard,I do not think you will have a problem with 4.5 wheels and if they are afterkit wheels like minilights ect the bore will big enough to go over the hub easily , actual alloy miniwheel tend to be made to fit minihubs and can be smaller than those fitted to a dandy
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Thu 21 Jul 2011, 10:06 pm

Thanks for the info,the 4.5s i was looking at had a 35mm offset so i am working on the alloy being 115mm wide and the inside of the wheel being 93mm,the existing wheels have inside measurement of approx 73mm.I measured the space between the tyre and inside of arch and its about 27mm so i don't think i will have much clearance maybe 7-8mm.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Fri 22 Jul 2011, 8:10 am

This lot has gone way over my head wheel studs and wheels - Page 2 2829330259 I am not technically minded but would it help if we used something to raise our Dandy before adding new suspension and then get larger wheels confused I am still considering getting the 750 suspension rather than the 500 as the price isn't that much different.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Fri 22 Jul 2011, 10:19 am

NickB

I know a distance is just a distance however you measure it, but I would have stuck to imperial units for the wheel as thats how it was originally specified. e.g. Wheel width 4" = 101.2mm offset 1" = 25.4mm ??? Was there a standard 7/8ths offset?
    You want to go from a 27mm gap to an 8 -10mm gap???? So your looking at reducing the gap to 1/3 of the original.
    Without knowing for definite what is acceptable this would scare me.
    Tyre deformation under load: Fully loaded trailer. Upon striking bump. Or as none of us are perfect when not correctly inflated.
    Now I have seen aluminium spacers for wheels at a few car shows. Yet before we go down this road, have you spoken to wheel and tyre people? Mini people? Why struggle when others have already done the hard work and know what is possible and what tolerances are acceptable.
    As might be the most apt comment here. "Why Try To Re-invent The Wheel!"

Kevin.

I'll happily read your thoughts and meanderings all day long,but why speak to us when we appear to know bugger all. Get it straight from someone who knows what the original offsets were and what clearances you need. Best of luck.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Fri 22 Jul 2011, 10:54 am

Dear All

I've lost this!
    We have this topic "Wheel Studs And Wheels" and there is a chat Topic relating to wheels and tyres.
    My last post on that was to Nick ending in a suggestion that he speaks to wheel and to mini people as we appear to collectively know bugger all. Now why I might try to excuse myself with the justification it was meant in the best of ways. It is patently not true. If hooker is actively contributing to this then he obviously has been through this subject.
    Having been so wrong with my last comment, might I respectfully suggest to the originators of these threads that they are combined.

Kevin.
    Billy
    Billy

Post by Billy Fri 22 Jul 2011, 3:38 pm

Tow Itch wrote: Dear All

I've lost this!
    We have this topic "Wheel Studs And Wheels" and there is a chat Topic relating to wheels and tyres.
    My last post on that was to Nick ending in a suggestion that he speaks to wheel and to mini people as we appear to collectively know bugger all. Now why I might try to excuse myself with the justification it was meant in the best of ways. It is patently not true. If hooker is actively contributing to this then he obviously has been through this subject.
    Having been so wrong with my last comment, might I respectfully suggest to the originators of these threads that they are combined.

Kevin.

I for one am not at all confused and know where Hooker is coming from and completely agree and understand with what he has said.

In the past I have built lots of trailers and have dealt with similiar issues as Hooker describes and taken the same actions to overcome these issues.

Its all part of the fun. Billy.

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Fri 22 Jul 2011, 4:09 pm

Hooker has lots of experience with this and has done a fantastic job on his Dandy but I know where you are coming from Kevin we do seem to have two very similar threads with this and the Alloy Wheels one.
    John
    John

Post by John Fri 22 Jul 2011, 6:17 pm

You can use spacers if you think you need more clearance, but i think you will be alright anyway
    p.s we are still talking wheels not suspension upgrades that is a different subject
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Fri 22 Jul 2011, 6:53 pm

thanks Kevin,i am not going down the route of using spacers as it will involve changing the studs which is another headache.I would also like to stick with imperial measurements but as this country has adopted Metric while still using Imperial it makes everything frustrating.All wheels quote offsets in MM yet the imperial radius of the wheel will be embossed on it.It's like tyres that are sold as in Metric/Imperial(145/70 R12)measurements.I am surprised Brussels have not tried to force though Metric for wheels sizing.I know what the offsets are for both original wheel fitted and mini wheels but there is no point in speaking to Mini experts as they will probably no nothing about fitting Mini wheels to trailers.
    Nick
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Fri 22 Jul 2011, 7:47 pm

wheel studs and wheels - Page 2 2024858757 Just wondered if raising the suspension would give more space for the bigger wheels, but then I am a female who hasn't got a clue about these things lol!
    John
    John

wheel studs and wheels - Page 2 Empty wheels ect

Post by John Fri 22 Jul 2011, 8:13 pm

Yes if you raised the body of the trailer by using a spacer between the suspension and the body would result in more clearance and a bigger wheel could be fitted, the difference between a 10 inch wheel and a 12 inch is about 3/4 of an inch on diameter, so to put 12inch onto a dandy would only raise the body by about 3/8 of an inch
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 25 Jul 2011, 11:43 am

Nick

Sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick on this. I thought from your original post here and on the Yahoo site that you were floundering a bit. My apologies if that's not the case.
    I know next to nothing about specs on wheels and tyres as I have not needed to learn. I supposed Mini wheels were originally used as they were being pressed in their tens of thousands at the time. It's not impossible that the people who developed the suspension Rubery Owen were stamping the wheels themselves. They certainly produced wheels for B.M.C. or Leyland as later on as they produced "Rostyle" wheels. I notice in respect of Dandys the wheels soon changed and lost the 1/2 round pressing at the P.C.D. point where hub caps would have been fitted.
    With regards to imperial and metric measure the reason I was looking at imperial was that they were the units used when the wheels were first made. i.e. 4" P.C.D. = 101.6mm (Brain fade I said 101.2 last time. Having a quick look at my early wheels I would have guessed the wheel (Not Tyre) to be 3 1/2". Don't know anything about offsets but 22mm surprised me, thats why I pondered on 7/8ths" I would have expected multiples of 1" or 1/2".
    I must confess I do find having such closely allied threads as this and the "wheel studs and wheel" thread confusing
    Any stuff you know on fitting spacers studs and any other issues I'll gladly read. It saves me and others doing the work in the future.
    The suggestion about speaking to Mini or wheel and tyre people was also used because of your mention of the proposed clearance. If you know what your doing and what acceptable clearances are, then fair enough. I will happily confess though that the proposed clearance of 8-10mm gives me the willies. I would never have realised that was adequate for all possible tyre deformation scenarios.
    Looking forward to seeing what you buy

Kevin.

John
    John

wheel studs and wheels - Page 2 Empty wheels ect

Post by John Mon 25 Jul 2011, 2:08 pm

most tyre deformation will occur at the bottom
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Mon 25 Jul 2011, 7:49 pm

I am putting this idea of changing the wheels on the back burner for now,i am not overly happy with clearance or lack of.I will of course add to this thread in the future if i decide to get mini wheels and fit them.
    John
    John

wheel studs and wheels - Page 2 Empty wheels

Post by John Mon 25 Jul 2011, 9:15 pm

I think dandy fitted mini wheels, but not mini hubs, bore size is probably just as important.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 26 Jul 2011, 11:48 pm

Alloy Wheels thread has been merged with this one as they are so similar.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 10 May 2024, 2:28 am