Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

5 posters

axle stands and jack for use on dandy trailer

Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

axle stands and jack for use on dandy trailer  Empty axle stands and jack for use on dandy trailer

Post by Eilis Sun 17 Jul 2011, 4:06 pm

hi all

i'm looking for a jack (that i can use when the dandy is up to add stablity as well as for jacking up the dandy) and a couple of axle stands (i want to do some work on the wheels)

not knowing technical things really, are these ones i've seen on ebay any good or should i be looking at something else?

thanks

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

axle stands and jack for use on dandy trailer  Empty Re: axle stands and jack for use on dandy trailer

Post by mike Sun 17 Jul 2011, 4:15 pm

They would do it but if its only for use at home i would rather use a 1 ton trolley jack and axle stands,the jack can be lowered until the dandy is on the stands but then left there under the side you are working on as extra safety.

You can get cheaper than this but it just shows what i meen.

Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

axle stands and jack for use on dandy trailer  Empty Re: axle stands and jack for use on dandy trailer

Post by Eilis Sun 17 Jul 2011, 4:19 pm

how about these?

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 17 Jul 2011, 4:39 pm

I would much prefer to use that set up,dont know have used a trolley jack before?
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 17 Jul 2011, 4:43 pm

Keep an eye out at Lidle, Netto and other places like that as we got the whole lot......Axle stands and trolley jack for £26.98. I would always advise the trolley jack for safety.
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis Sun 17 Jul 2011, 4:44 pm

I've used trolley jacks before and much prefer them to the scissor type to be honest, I always worry that the scissor will topple whereas the trolleys feel much more stable
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 17 Jul 2011, 5:20 pm

Eilis

Given the difference in price buy what your happiest with.
    Either jack is more than adequate, don't forget your not even lifting the whole weight of the trailer.
    The scissor jack does have the advantage that the ends could be modded and then used to support the door end when the Dandy is in use.

What annoys me about the standard of advertisers on ebay:

1 Tonne Scissor Jack Features
    • Hydraulic scissor jack
    • Maximum load capacity of 1 tonne (1000kg)
    • Compact size ideal for keeping in a car boot
    • Sturdy design with a folding crank handle
    • Lifting range of 90-330mm
    • The GS TUV approved

What on this planet is hydraulic about a scissor jack and would you believe anything else in the advert after reading it?

Kevin.
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis Sun 17 Jul 2011, 5:34 pm

what does modded mean? sorry to be so dim Embarassed
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 17 Jul 2011, 5:41 pm

Eilis

The scissor jack could be used to support the area under the doorstep while you get in and out.

Unfortunately because the foot and the top are so narrow it would tend to twist in use and fall over.

However it could be modified (modded) by drilling the top and base and adding wider metal plates either by bolting or riveting.

Thus making it less likely to twist.

Kevin.
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Sun 17 Jul 2011, 6:41 pm

I agree with Kevin about scissor jacks,we use one to raise our Dandy to prop it with axle stands.The Jack is the one that Mazda supplied with Vicky's car so its going to at least be made to all stringent European and American standards,and as her car weighs 1200kg it should easily support a 500kg Dandy.We have got cheap Axle stands off ebay that we bought about a year ago and as of yet they remain rust free and work as they should.The support bracket/cups fit under the chassis members perfectly,we also pad out where chassis meets stands with industrial rubber packing material,just to protect the undercoat and level it off if need be.
    The Scissor jack works a treat under the threshold,but you do need to tweak it after a day or two once the dandy has settled.
    A trolley jack has the advantage of being easier to use,where as laying on floor trying to get the scissor jack under the centre beam or suspension unit is not ideal.I did once put jack off centre when i took a wheel off and had a dandy trying to fall to the ground which was interesting,i didn't panic honestly!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 28 Apr 2024, 10:02 am