Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+5
Cazz
Phoenix
Caz1960
Helen
JamesMcQ
9 posters

New to the Site and New to Dandy!!

JamesMcQ

New to the Site and New to Dandy!! Empty New to the Site and New to Dandy!!

Post by JamesMcQ Tue 15 May 2012, 9:27 pm

Hi everyone Very Happy . I have recently purchased a 1994 Dandy Designer with full original awning and the all essential under floor heater!! I fell in love with the design and simplistic yet practical build quality of the Dandy compared to other trailer tents and folding campers. I am still trying to get my head around the 'lack of storage' issue at the moment whilst planning its first outing with myself and my two kids.
    Would be interested to know whether anyone has tried adapting load bars from conway or pennine to the dandy yet as still trying to figure out how to load three bikes.... I know the simple option would be to put 'em on the roof of the car but as I have a spinal disability, lifting them that high is an impossibility Sad.
    I have been reading the issues relating to the towing angle with interest as I have a similar problem. The nice chaps at Riva Dandy can put 40mm spacers in to resolve the issue but as money is tight at the moment and riva are 6hrs away from me, I think I will go for the drop plate this year and raise it up next year. I guess I will just have to watch I dont wipe the heater off the bottom though!? Mad

Any tips on anything from all you seasoned pro's, will be appreciated as I am still learning as I go along!......
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

New to the Site and New to Dandy!! Empty Re: New to the Site and New to Dandy!!

Post by Helen Tue 15 May 2012, 9:47 pm

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on becoming a Dandy owner, we've just changed our suspension and did toy with the idea of spacers and have some ready just in case we decide to raise it a bit more than the new suspension has, you can get them from indespension who will deliver. You would need someone to fit them though, it's a fairly simple job but with spinal problems it would be difficult.

As for the underfloor heater, we managed for years thinking ours would be too low but the only problem we ever had was with one speed hump on our street so happily avoided it for years and were fine. Very Happy

New to the Site and New to Dandy!! 1066248140
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Tue 15 May 2012, 9:51 pm

New to the Site and New to Dandy!! 2792229418 New to the Site and New to Dandy!! 1217042266 New to the Site and New to Dandy!! 1217042266 there is a picture on this forum with a frame over the dandy mike or tow itch will link it the dandy New to the Site and New to Dandy!! 1217042266 New to the Site and New to Dandy!! 1217042266 New to the Site and New to Dandy!! 1217042266
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Tue 15 May 2012, 9:54 pm

Hi and New to the Site and New to Dandy!! 936075699 JamesMcQ. New to the Site and New to Dandy!! 1066248140

It is good to see a fellow Dandy owner in our neck of the woods. New to the Site and New to Dandy!! 2792229418

Are you North or South Norfolk?

JamesMcQ

Post by JamesMcQ Tue 15 May 2012, 10:02 pm

Thank you all for the tips and such a warm welcome. I am located near to Dereham so I guess that makes me fairly central norfolk Laughing

Will look at indespension as an option but as you say, the days of me doing this sort of thing myself are over now so I have to factor in fitting costs and am on a very tight budget (spent out on the Dandy but couldnt resist and although not slept in it yet, I have it up in my garden and have to keep going and sitting in it, pondering the adventures to come!!)How sad am I Exclamation
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Tue 15 May 2012, 10:07 pm

New to the Site and New to Dandy!! 2702329197 New to the Site and New to Dandy!! 2702329197 no not sad just hooked once you been in her once its amazing how eager to get out again also the need to personalize it becomes an obsession New to the Site and New to Dandy!! 3462454224 New to the Site and New to Dandy!! 3462454224 New to the Site and New to Dandy!! 3462454224
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 15 May 2012, 10:07 pm

That's normal ...... to me anyway, I insist on having a brew while sitting inside it with the radio on every time we put it up even at home lol!
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Tue 15 May 2012, 10:09 pm

Helen wrote:That's normal ...... to me anyway, I insist on having a brew while sitting inside it with the radio on every time we put it up even at home lol!
    New to the Site and New to Dandy!! 3462454224 New to the Site and New to Dandy!! 3462454224 glad im not the only one New to the Site and New to Dandy!! 3462454224 New to the Site and New to Dandy!! 3462454224
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Tue 15 May 2012, 10:11 pm

JamesMcQ wrote:Thank you all for the tips and such a warm welcome. I am located near to Dereham so I guess that makes me fairly central norfolk Laughing

Will look at indespension as an option but as you say, the days of me doing this sort of thing myself are over now so I have to factor in fitting costs and am on a very tight budget (spent out on the Dandy but couldnt resist and although not slept in it yet, I have it up in my garden and have to keep going and sitting in it, pondering the adventures to come!!)How sad am I Exclamation

You are not sad at all. We had a few test runs in our back garden after we did our rebuild. Laughing We are not too far from you, Long Stratton area.
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Tue 15 May 2012, 10:31 pm

New to the Site and New to Dandy!! 1217042266 to the forum. New to the Site and New to Dandy!! 1066248140

And you're not sad at all, it's very normal to do odd things. lol! As long as you think stroking the wood is normal. New to the Site and New to Dandy!! 2829330259
    MrsG
    MrsG

Post by MrsG Wed 16 May 2012, 7:28 am

Hi James,

A really warm welcome to the Dandy Campers Forum, I hope you find it as useful and friendly as I have done. I don't have the luxury of being able to put the Dandy up in my garden as I store it in a garage a few streets away, so I have no choice but to go for weekends away regularly just to sit in it and ponder my adventures...

I always feel so cosy and at home in it, I am even going away over Xmas and New Year in it this year!

Lucie Laughing
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Wed 16 May 2012, 1:35 pm

JamesMcQ wrote:Hi everyone Very Happy . I have recently purchased a 1994 Dandy Designer with full original awning and the all essential under floor heater!! I fell in love with the design and simplistic yet practical build quality of the Dandy compared to other trailer tents and folding campers. I am still trying to get my head around the 'lack of storage' issue at the moment whilst planning its first outing with myself and my two kids.
    Would be interested to know whether anyone has tried adapting load bars from conway or pennine to the dandy yet as still trying to figure out how to load three bikes.... I know the simple option would be to put 'em on the roof of the car but as I have a spinal disability, lifting them that high is an impossibility Sad.
    I have been reading the issues relating to the towing angle with interest as I have a similar problem. The nice chaps at Riva Dandy can put 40mm spacers in to resolve the issue but as money is tight at the moment and riva are 6hrs away from me, I think I will go for the drop plate this year and raise it up next year. I guess I will just have to watch I dont wipe the heater off the bottom though!? Mad

Any tips on anything from all you seasoned pro's, will be appreciated as I am still learning as I go along!......

Sorry missed this thread completely yesterday.

Do you mean something like this?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    N.B. These Pictures Were Taken From An eBay Advert And Are Copyright Of The Original Taker

Ian (Mr Riva) originally produced these. I don't know how long for though.
    With the Dark blue Designers weighing in at 350Kg Tare weight the roof bars were re considered. They may actually have been re considered before that point. Ian viewed them as tantamount to inviting people to overload their Designers. Run your Designer over a scale to see how close you are.
    The solution to all this would be a 750Kg suspension conversion while raising your Dandy. Need to be going out so will some other kind person post a link to this subject.
    Actually the above doesn't answer your original question on roof box mounts.
    Not many have done roof box mounts but should you sort the suspension I feel roof bars are possible.
    The finding of a good cheap mechanic for the suspension would be a good starting point. I know Mike, Phoenix and Vessey are all in your area and may cast light.
    Finally a picture of my favourite rack(Yes I do know where that comment may go but it's a mixed age site)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Wed 16 May 2012, 2:31 pm

New to the Site and New to Dandy!! 1217042266 to the forum,have you considered a tow hitch bike rack that can be used when towing

mike
    Owd Lad
    Owd Lad

Post by Owd Lad Wed 16 May 2012, 7:36 pm

New to the Site and New to Dandy!! 936075699 to the forum and to Dandying! Nothing at all odd about garden Dandying. I find it's a tranquil place to be. The problem is when the tranquility gets the better of doing the jobs that I've actually put the rig up to do. As far as running my fingers over wood goes, well, I haven't got any so it doesn't apply but give me an area of nicely polished plastic and that's a different thing. It's just so smooth, tactile, sensuous..........!!!

By the way, I don't know if everybody has got themselves on the members map yet but it's nice to see the way in which we're spreading across the country. It's a bit like measles but much, much nicer.

Steve
    JamesMcQ

Post by JamesMcQ Thu 17 May 2012, 12:13 pm

I understand there are bike racks that have a bracket behind the towbar that they slot into. Does anyone know of one that hangs the bikes high enough to clear the Dandy?
    The other thing I have been warned about, is the weight limit (downforce) on the back of the car. Anyone know what the towbar weight of the desighner is? I have to carry my two kids bikes which probably weigh, at a guess 15kg each and my ebike which is about 22kg thus making a total of 50 odd kg which make everyone I have spoken too thus far, throw thier hands up in horror and tell me it cant be done! New to the Site and New to Dandy!! 9639063

The rack in the above pic (metal one, not the wood one) is what I want!! anyone got one sitting in the shed unwanted???? Very Happy

Just found what may be a suitable bike rack by Pendle but requires a mortgage!! New to the Site and New to Dandy!! 9639063

gonna fit the drop plate for this season and see how I get on with that (as I have one in the shed) and try and save pennies to lift and upgrade suspension next year. Idea

Oh, F.Y.I for some reason it took me 15 mins to put up the Dandy for the first time, and an hour to pack it down!! I hope to hell I've done it right!! The awning (original) was 45 mins to go up and 20 to come down. More practice needed I think confused
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Thu 17 May 2012, 12:26 pm

JamesMcQ wrote:I understand there are bike racks that have a bracket behind the towbar that they slot into. Does anyone know of one that hangs the bikes high enough to clear the Dandy?
    The other thing I have been warned about, is the weight limit (downforce) on the back of the car. Anyone know what the towbar weight of the desighner is? I have to carry my two kids bikes which probably weigh, at a guess 15kg each and my ebike which is about 22kg thus making a total of 50 odd kg which make everyone I have spoken too thus far, throw thier hands up in horror and tell me it cant be done! New to the Site and New to Dandy!! 9639063

The rack in the above pic (metal one, not the wood one) is what I want!! anyone got one sitting in the shed unwanted???? Very Happy

Just found what may be a suitable bike rack by Pendle but requires a mortgage!! New to the Site and New to Dandy!! 9639063

gonna fit the drop plate for this season and see how I get on with that (as I have one in the shed) and try and save pennies to lift and upgrade suspension next year. Idea

Oh, F.Y.I for some reason it took me 15 mins to put up the Dandy for the first time, and an hour to pack it down!! I hope to hell I've done it right!! The awning (original) was 45 mins to go up and 20 to come down. More practice needed I think confused

Don't know which car you have but you may find a drop plate is now illegal on it,they can only be used with tow bars that are type approved,its the putting down of the dandy that ime slowest at and ive been doing it for five years now.

mike
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Thu 17 May 2012, 1:50 pm

mike wrote:
    its the putting down of the dandy that ime slowest at and ive been doing it for five years now.

mike

Blimey, that is slow, makes the 20 mins really quick. lol!
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Thu 17 May 2012, 1:54 pm

cazz wrote:
    mike wrote:
    its the putting down of the dandy that ime slowest at and ive been doing it for five years now.

mike

People reading this forum have wondered why i hate you now they know lol!
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Thu 17 May 2012, 2:11 pm

If you had a drop plate in the shed I'm interested in what your towing with.
    Was it from a former 4X4 or do you still have a 4X4?
    As towbar heights were raised reasonably recently (Does anyone know the date?) Having a drop plate suggested you at one time used a commercial or 4X4 vehicle.
    Commercials and many 4X4s are not restricted to "Type Approved" towbars so this would kill two birds with one stone.
    You could fit a drop plate. The permitted maximum down weight on the ball would allow the Dandy to be coupled with bikes.
    Dandy noseweight 25lbs (11.34Kg) though 35Kg would be the suggested ideal 7% of weight of a fully loaded Dandy 25lbs is what the manufacturer stated. (I'll explain that as things go forward)
    I'd put a piece of broomstick onto a scale to see what your running at I'd suggest anything between the Dandy figure of 11.34Kg and the later Riva figure of 30Kg could be functional. The combined masses could add up to less than the 70 something Kg of most saloons but if you have a 4X4 a combined bike mount and drop plate would be both allowed and functional.

There is always the devices that mount onto the rear of hatchbacks but I've seen mixed reviews of these.
    MrsG
    MrsG

Post by MrsG Thu 17 May 2012, 5:38 pm

cazz wrote:
    mike wrote:

mike

Almost choked on my cuppa New to the Site and New to Dandy!! 3462454224
    JamesMcQ

Post by JamesMcQ Fri 18 May 2012, 9:22 pm

Used to have a 4x4 but now have a Renault Grand Scenic dci. If I cant use a drop plate on that then im stuffed. The towbar is a pukka one commisioned by Renault and fitted by indespension (obviously not a swan neck jobby). The angle is quite significant at the current height, certainly would not clear a curb at the rear!
    Will have to investigate further...... Sad
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Fri 18 May 2012, 10:25 pm

MrsG wrote:
    cazz wrote:
    mike wrote:

mike

Almost choked on my cuppa New to the Site and New to Dandy!! 3462454224

I did New to the Site and New to Dandy!! 1705467399 shot through the nostrils New to the Site and New to Dandy!! 3208163979 and hit the dog New to the Site and New to Dandy!! 3462454224 New to the Site and New to Dandy!! 3462454224 New to the Site and New to Dandy!! 3462454224
    will admit might be the reason for long packing away its the tender loving folding , smoothing out the creases,while telling her the next time your will go out again, singing a lullaby while cover placed for the final drive home New to the Site and New to Dandy!! 1468157981 New to the Site and New to Dandy!! 1468157981
    JamesMcQ

Post by JamesMcQ Sat 19 May 2012, 6:15 pm

I have to make sure the folds are in the right place and triple check each time a section is folded in, just to make sure no undue creasing or pinching of the PVC is happening! I think, with me, its perhaps a little mix of OCD, Dandy devotion, senility and a pinch of misery at the prospect of not being able to go in it til the next time!!
    JamesMcQ

Post by JamesMcQ Mon 21 May 2012, 3:01 pm

Right, I have solved the bike carrying problem. I await delivery of a Maxxraxx carrier which mounts behind the towbar, has an extension bar to raise the height of the bikes so towing will not be a problem while bikes in place. Carries a whooping 80kg which I wont be close to even with my ebike so should be fine. Will gain an additional few inches as well by putting the mounting bracket on the top holes of the drop plate and the ball on the lower holes. All I have to do now is decide where to go for a cheap adventure. Any suggestions of good cheap sites (with hook up)welcome. Obviously, travelling from Norfolk so North, South and Westerly directions. Word of mouth campsites are usually best. Oh, and if anyone fancies a trip to the East Coast, I can provide details of a super little site on the cliff tops with direct access to the beach, pet friendly ( I always take my little dog) and cheap too.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 21 May 2012, 9:00 pm

JamesMcQ wrote:Right, I have solved the bike carrying problem. I await delivery of a Maxxraxx carrier which mounts behind the towbar, has an extension bar to raise the height of the bikes so towing will not be a problem while bikes in place. Carries a whooping 80kg which I wont be close to even with my ebike so should be fine. Will gain an additional few inches as well by putting the mounting bracket on the top holes of the drop plate and the ball on the lower holes. All I have to do now is decide where to go for a cheap adventure. Any suggestions of good cheap sites (with hook up)welcome. Obviously, travelling from Norfolk so North, South and Westerly directions. Word of mouth campsites are usually best. Oh, and if anyone fancies a trip to the East Coast, I can provide details of a super little site on the cliff tops with direct access to the beach, pet friendly ( I always take my little dog) and cheap too.

Fair enough James the Carrier holds 80Kg but what is left from the maximum noseweight after you take off the noseweight of the Dandy and the weight of the carrier? I was going to look up the noseweight of the Renault but I've just crashed and burned on that front. See [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

See the FAQ's on Whitter's site [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and this piece looking at the types of towbars. If yours is a recent Whitter it may be available with a 4 hole plate [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Would I just say shove it and fit my old drop plate? No comment.

Why not do a review of the site you were mentioning in the site reviews? Or do you not want the recommendation to be too public?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 27 Apr 2024, 1:41 am