Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+17
navver
Pollyanna
Kimmie
peridot
Esermalda
odienoo
dantro
Phoenix
abc5575
alday
bgarston
Cazz
MrsG
mike
Caz1960
Endecay
Helen
21 posters

Alphabetical artists game

peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Alphabetical artists game - Page 6 Empty Re: Alphabetical artists game

Post by peridot Sun 28 Apr 2013, 8:00 pm

peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Sun 28 Apr 2013, 8:19 pm

Oh - I think I've pulled a muscle dancing to X-pression. Definitly too old for that Laughing

Something a little slower

Neil Young - Needle and the Damage Done

Esermalda
    Esermalda

Post by Esermalda Sun 28 Apr 2013, 10:44 pm

ZZ Top:- La Grange
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Sun 28 Apr 2013, 10:50 pm

Nice one Essie

Got to have this as well though. Smile

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 29 Apr 2013, 9:51 pm

Peridot. How can Van fill a void when he caused more voids than the artists I shall now feature.
    His walk offs were/are legendary. I thought you first posted a video of Van with Bob Dylan. What was up did he walk off the video?
    The Waterboys. I've seen them live. I don't know if other artists are as vain but hide it better but I've never seen anyone on stage as up his own bum as Mike Scott. Toilet brushes by Wisdom or what. Didn't say bum said ar..
    ZZ Top. Good to hear proper blues based ZZ Top and not just the pop period. I'm hoping for an outbreak of cheap sunglasses this summer.
    Bit Lizzy like insofar some of their recorded stuff sounds flatter than when live.

So I can't conclusively prove it's who I think it is but I think this was done by the man who went absent almost as much as Van Morrison.

Abaco Dream and Life And Death In G & A

Last edited by Tow Itch on Sun 26 May 2013, 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Mon 29 Apr 2013, 10:51 pm

Abaco Dream was a new one on me, but very nice indeed. I had to google it to see the history and the rumoured connection to Sly Stone - interesting story.

I haven't experienced Van actually walking off, but I've walked out of some of his gigs. When you realise that he doesn't want to be there, there's little point in staying. He is however responsible for some of the best live performances I have ever witnessed - you just have to take the bad with the good so to speak. He played the Green Man festival near Brecon last year and I wasn't expecting much but he was actually rather good. He arrived by helicopter, walked onto the stage where his band was already playing, did the gig, and walked off straight into the waiting helicopter leaving the band playing him out. He also had specifically written into his contract that he wasn't to be expected to speak to anyone - I kinda like that in a funny sort of way.

I've seen the Waterboys and Mike Scott solo a few times too and would not disagree with your assessment Smile

For B, I'll also go with something less familiar as it comes from one of the most criminally underrated bands ever

The Blades - Revelations of Heartbreak

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Mon 29 Apr 2013, 11:05 pm

Appropriate for another wet Monday although must admit the Carpenters are a guilty pleasure

peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Tue 30 Apr 2013, 11:00 am

No need for any guilt there Helen. I think Karen was easily the greatest female vocalist ever.

Another sad loss - I can't believe it was 30 years ago now.

Staying with the ladies for 'D' -

Dixie Chicks - Not Ready To Make Nice

Esermalda
    Esermalda

Post by Esermalda Sat 04 May 2013, 9:28 am

E for Eagles :- waiting in the weeds
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sat 04 May 2013, 12:35 pm

Esermalda wrote:E for Eagles :- waiting in the weeds

The feed with a still picture is supposed to work with Dailymotion but appears not to be.
    navver

Post by navver Sat 04 May 2013, 12:50 pm

Got to be my favourite band

FOCUS

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sat 04 May 2013, 1:13 pm

Guilty pleasures? They don't get any more guilty than this, the subject matter makes me cringe, not the sort of genre I like, is it something about the man's delivery? Well the delivery would revolt many.

Get some of the rest of his catalogue out; a homage to a past time and the sort of gut wrenching tear jerking muck we don't do anymore. The saddest bit being that this isn't mockery or irony, I can always listen to this man. God only knows.

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 05 May 2013, 6:32 pm

Wound myself up so much to do the last one missed out navver slipping in Focus. I saw Focus two or three years ago at Parr Hall in Warrington. Very small audience of sub 200 but a cracking gig. This van Leer was obviously enjoying himself and not just going through the motions for the cash.

The only guilt in this pleasure is that I don't know enough of his work.

peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Sun 05 May 2013, 11:06 pm

My oh my ... this thread just gets better and better!

Focus I have never had the pleasure of seeing live but love their material. They are one of my 'driving bands'. If I have a long drive to do, I put Focus on and the miles just seem to go by twice as fast.

And the bonus 'F' Dean Friedman. Well all I can say is that when 'Lucky Stars' comes on the car radio and Mrs P. reaches to change the station, I might just be inclined to say "Leave it on, there'll be something better on next" Embarassed So I think it's a guilty secret shared! I have to say that if it wasn't for the song I'll be ending this thread with, I probably wouldn't know who sang 'Lucky Stars' and have never sought out his other material. However Tow Itch, your additional links were interesting and having come out so to speak, I may take the risk of exploring further.

Now 'G' is for God and that's just where you've gone TI - my LastFM page tells me that Rory Gallagher is my most played artist so I guess I do know a fair bit of his work. Another sadly missed and sadly underrated true gentleman. Go to Amazon, search on Rory Gallagher, buy everything that comes up, and you'll be a happy man Laughing

Now on to that 'H' song. Well, given preceding events there is only one thing it can be. I couldn't find another video with decent sound so apologies for this one but enjoy the legendary ...

Half Man Half Biscuit

Esermalda
    Esermalda

Post by Esermalda Sun 05 May 2013, 11:36 pm

Ink spots:- I don't want to set the world on fire.

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 06 May 2013, 8:31 pm

The Ink Spots. I still want to count in with "You promised me green grass not to tell what you heard"

Half man Half Biscuit I saw them in december 2011 but didn't know the majority of their set still good though. Are we allowed to use them as artists though as Nigel Blackwell's guitar being a copy of an Epiphone Airscreamer surely lists him as a Dandy enemy?
    Not worked out yet if he has a copy of an Epiphone Airscreamer or it is a copy of the said guitar.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

J and not a guilty secret here as I'd heard a section of the tune used by Whispering Bob Harris on several occasions but never known the tune. So we now have the alphabetical link to The Brothers Johnson the original and desperately tender Shuggie Otis and for a song sampled almost as much as a James Brown horn piece we also have the notorious Color Me BaddShuggie Otis places a landmark guitar piece in the sweetest of songs without detracting from either, a sad loss to drug excess. How could this be written by a 16 year old boy?
    I give you Strawberry Letter 23

The best version of the Brothers johnson is on dailymotion but it won't leave a picture link is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] more gruff of voice but still able to pull off the guitar live Suggie Otis [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Sun 12 May 2013, 11:50 pm

Been slow to catch up with this thread - partly because I've been busy exploring the fascinating background to that last post. Crikey - it's one of those songs I have heard so many times but never thought about where it came from. Wonderful story.

For my 'K' I'm heading to Fife, which seems to me to be the centre of creativity in the British Isles, with so many musicians, writers, actors, etc. hailing from that part of the world. I've never visited but am keen to do so, perhaps on one of the raucous festival weekends organised by the Fence Collective - the amazing record label / musician share scheme established by Kenny Anderson ...

... aka King Creosote

Background to the Fence Collective here ...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 19 May 2013, 9:53 pm

I'm now old enough to realise that naughty words are neither big nor clever.
    However this was 31 years ago so if you can hear my voice above tens of thousands of others I apologize.
    This guy had been the filler between the artists all weekend. He then got the spot before the headline act on Sunday night.

Jackie Lynton Band The Hedgehog Song

abc5575

Post by abc5575 Mon 20 May 2013, 3:33 pm

Lulu 'To sir with love' nice song. Very Happy
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 20 May 2013, 4:06 pm

peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Sat 25 May 2013, 11:11 am

One for the month of May ...

Imelda May - Mayhem

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sat 25 May 2013, 1:51 pm

I've been waiting for this. If any of you caught the radio 2 day where they examined the constituent parts of an orchestra then you might have heard this piece.
    Simon Mayo got to cover drums and started with this well known piece from the early 60's.

Sandy Nelson Let There Be Drums This piece also featured in an Iconic (It had an academy award nomination) British Transport Film. Most suitable considering the start to the year.

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 26 May 2013, 8:34 am

Olivia Newton John ...... Physical

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 26 May 2013, 9:57 am

OK I'm sure 90% or more of you know who is singing but for the rest, if you don't play this you will miss a massively famous artist and the best song he ever sang.

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 26 May 2013, 10:29 pm

Yes I know this is alphabetical artists but I feel a supplementary P coming on in honour of our newest member.

Yes I know it's not the artist nor the title but...........

You do need to watch the Tony Christie video. Think he's decided comedy and pastiche is the way to go.

So come on Tony was your video influenced by The Beastie Boys and Sabotage or what?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 4:45 pm