Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+2
mike
Twindad
6 posters

Towing A Dandy

Twindad
    Twindad

Towing A Dandy Empty Towing A Dandy

Post by Twindad Sun 10 Mar 2013, 2:22 pm

Hi all ,
    Can anyone tell me whether they have the same problems when towing a dandy in that the car towbar is set to high and therefor the dandy trailer is almost slanted/tipped when pulling..
    is the answer to get a plate dropper for my towbar on a renault espace 2002 car..( as im aware these were pre fitted by renault before car sold..
    Towing A Dandy 143088812
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Towing A Dandy Empty Re: Towing A Dandy

Post by mike Sun 10 Mar 2013, 2:26 pm

Twindad wrote:Hi all ,
    Can anyone tell me whether they have the same problems when towing a dandy in that the car towbar is set to high and therefor the dandy trailer is almost slanted/tipped when pulling..
    is the answer to get a plate dropper for my towbar on a renault espace 2002 car..( as im aware these were pre fitted by renault before car sold..
    Towing A Dandy 143088812

There was a change in tow ball hight which causes that,a drop plate would work but most probably not be legal,they have to be used with tow brackets that have been type approved for them and this is mainly four wheel drive tow bars unless things have changed.
    Whitter make one for there tow bars but it costs more than most tow bars
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 10 Mar 2013, 2:30 pm

Will just add loading your car for a family holliday may help Very Happy it levels mine out affraid
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 10 Mar 2013, 2:36 pm

Twindad wrote:Hi all ,
    Towing A Dandy 143088812

If they are pre fitted then great if you can get one. Can't/shouldn't buy a generic one as post 1st Aug 1998 towbars for cars need to be type approved.

It may or may not help anyway as I (Legally) fitted a drop plate to a Rover 400 and the jockey wheel kept banging off speed bumps. Suck it and see is one answer. As Dandys are braked a drop section on the end of the A frame is not a good idea. See how things go for a while. The ultimate solution is to lift or uprate the suspension. Lots of owners live with things as is.
    Esermalda
    Esermalda

Post by Esermalda Sun 10 Mar 2013, 3:27 pm

We found the same as Mike, loaded car levelled out the tow bar. Gas bottles plus battery in the front box as well.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:41 pm

Mine was tipping too, we did try a drop plate and it helped, however we checked the suspension to find it was twisted and sagging ...... changed the suspension and no drop plated needed ..... result cheers
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Mon 11 Mar 2013, 8:53 pm

When I had my older Designer I had to use a drop plate even after renewing the suspension units.

My tow bar does seem to be particularly high though. There seems to be a lot of variation between towball height on different cars depending on the type of towbar fitted.

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Mon 11 Mar 2013, 8:57 pm

Did you use spacers too, ours tows lovely now and it's not a small car ....... some have raised the suspension and we had the box section ready but tried first without and the box sections still in the garage. It's probably like you say with tow ball height variations

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 02 May 2024, 6:00 am