Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

4 posters

Dandy trailer tent safe towing

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Dandy trailer tent safe towing Empty Dandy trailer tent safe towing

Post by mike Sun 10 Jul 2011, 11:07 am

The thing about a stabiliser is we dont need one,for 99.9% of our towing,because of the weight of most dandys and the low centre of gravity they will tow like a dream.

Why only 99.9% of the time then ? that's because of the unforeseen circumstance when something can throw your trailer off line,even then it can normally be recovered and nothing more serious than a bit of bum cheek tightening affraid but that doesn't mean they arnt a good idea,there are two main types the first is a compact unit with all the works in the tow hitch,these have pads that grip the special tow ball,very good but not if you want to tow different trailers as the tow ball is specific to this hitch.

The second is very simple and been around years and only costs a fraction of the first one,it also utilises the original tow ball so different trailers can be towed.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Owd Lad
    Owd Lad

Dandy trailer tent safe towing Empty Stabiliser Use

Post by Owd Lad Sun 10 Jul 2011, 11:20 am

It must be said that I don't use a stabiliser with the Designer, however when we had our Destiny we did once have a scary incident when towing with our old Nissan Bluebird. Towing to London in the early hours down the M1 we developed the dreaded 'snake' and were pulled about over two lanes of the motorway plus the hard shoulder. Thankfully because of the hour there was only light traffic and we weren't a threat to anyone else. The cause was totally mine as I had packed the Destiny badly and added too much stuff, inside, at the back end (because you can!) After that we always used a leaf spring stabiliser and never had another incident.
    Steve
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Dandy trailer tent safe towing Empty Re: Dandy trailer tent safe towing

Post by Helen Sun 10 Jul 2011, 11:28 am

We don't use one either but I think I would do if I had a larger Dandy such as the high sided Destiny or Dimension.
    navver

Post by navver Wed 01 May 2013, 1:18 pm

Sorry Mike, one small inaccuracy in the Alko (Red) one advice. The tow ball is specific to the stabiliser but only in so much as the ball is slightly further from the car to allow the handle to swing up. The ball can be used wth any other hitch.

The only problem is that the Alko requires the ball to be free from grease and another trailer may put grease on it. In thst case you have to clean it off.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Wed 01 May 2013, 2:32 pm

navver wrote:Sorry Mike, one small inaccuracy in the Alko (Red) one advice. The tow ball is specific to the stabiliser but only in so much as the ball is slightly further from the car to allow the handle to swing up. The ball can be used wth any other hitch.

The only problem is that the Alko requires the ball to be free from grease and another trailer may put grease on it. In thst case you have to clean it off.

I did learn that after the post but forgot to come back and alter it,thanks
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 01 May 2013, 4:29 pm

Just to say that you can just get a new tow ball if you wanted to go with the ALKO hitch, John has two balls Shocked one for towing the Dandy and one for towing the caravan, it's a few minutes of a job to change them over. We could tow both units with the more projected ball for the alko - obviously one at a time Laughing but we change the ball when towing the Dandy rather than risk any cross contamination of the pads on the Alko, so if you want to tow more than one type of trailer then just get another ball and swap them over as required.
    navver

Post by navver Wed 01 May 2013, 7:28 pm

I guess he's got detatchable balls then. I wouldn't fancy unbolting each time.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 01 May 2013, 7:50 pm

It's not really that much of a problem, our daughter tends to use the caravan while we use the Dandy so we tow the van she tows the Dandy ...... we do unbolt though when we need to, not great but better than contaminating the pads

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 08 May 2024, 4:03 am