Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+2
mike
emmaoc
6 posters

hi im new to all this and looking for advice

emmaoc

hi im new to all this and looking for advice Empty hi im new to all this and looking for advice

Post by emmaoc Mon 29 Apr 2013, 5:10 pm

im looking for a unit which I will be able to put up on my own, ive been told a small dandy would suit me. I need a minimum of 3 berth. any advice on model and price would be appreciated. thanks emma
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

hi im new to all this and looking for advice Empty Re: hi im new to all this and looking for advice

Post by mike Mon 29 Apr 2013, 5:14 pm

emmaoc wrote:im looking for a unit which I will be able to put up on my own, ive been told a small dandy would suit me. I need a minimum of 3 berth. any advice on model and price would be appreciated. thanks emma

hi im new to all this and looking for advice 1217042266 to the forum,i will let Kevin answer on single handed erection because i have never tried it.

mike
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

hi im new to all this and looking for advice Empty Re: hi im new to all this and looking for advice

Post by Helen Mon 29 Apr 2013, 5:19 pm

Hi Emma,

glad to see you found us hi im new to all this and looking for advice 1217042266 you may be able to look at one or more of our Dandy's depending where you are, we have a meet at Woodhall Spa planned for June, failing that there may be someone in your area willing to let you go and see how a Dandy is erected. My husband manages our 5 berth Dandy alone and we don't have the gas struts fitted that some have.
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Mon 29 Apr 2013, 5:26 pm

Hi emmaoc,

When we had the 5-berth Designer (also without gas struts), I regularly put it up on my own. I found it easier than any largish tent, and a lot quicker too.

emmaoc

Post by emmaoc Mon 29 Apr 2013, 5:28 pm

I like the look of the dandys I will keep researching Very Happy I live in south Warwickshire x
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 29 Apr 2013, 7:16 pm

emmaoc wrote:im looking for a unit which I will be able to put up on my own, ive been told a small dandy would suit me. I need a minimum of 3 berth. any advice on model and price would be appreciated. thanks emma

Hello Emma

Roughly Dandys come as the Dart (4) Delta (41/2) and Designer/Discovery (5) then there is or are the 6 birth Destiny or Dimension.

Putting it up alone and 3 Births.

I am a strapping 6' bloke so what I find difficult and what you find difficult may well be different things especially if you were 4' 10". Of course you too could be a strapping 6' man and Emma could be your weekend name when you dress up. So as with all things because we know so little about you our information may be a bit general.

I own an 1970's 4 and a 1990's Designer (5). Now as nice people have over the last few years cut open my stomach twice, my chest once and have even made made entrances from where the sun doesn't shine I have very poor core body strength and don't stretch too well but this is what I have discerned about single handed erection.
    Can I get it up on my own? Yes but as with other things in life it's not as much fun on your own, and if it's a bad day a bit of help works wonders. The Designer at 5' 10" across the tub it is noticeably harder to lift up the door sections than the 4 at 4' (the Delta is 4'10" and the extra 10" provides quite a bit more room than a Dart)
    If the weather was windy then a second hand is always a good idea and might be necessary.
    Awnings. In addition to the base unit there is often an awning either an alternative one or an original Dandy one. The old fashioned awnings can be put up with just 5 minutes help. I have a more modern awning that has had zip out panels added it needs a bit more help. A standard awning needs significantly more help from a second person but the big advantage is that these awnings are all but bulletproof. With the addition of a storm strap there is no weather I would fear right up to the point where the wind was such that the entire unit or a caravan might overturn.

Three births: If the 3 were you the insignificant other and sprog then a Dart would be adequate for 3. Likewise with self and two small sprogs sharing the other bed. A Delta (4 1/2) provides a additional childs bed. This bed is 19" wide by I'd guess 5'8" or 5'6". The Destiny/Discovery (5) Has a full length 6' 4" third bed of 24"
    The six birth Dandys of various forms have varying levels of complexity and luxury but Mike reckons that you could put up the basic 6 single handed because the walls are lifted by gas struts. Though pushing a 6 at 9' plus A frame and at up to 750Kg might be a bit much. You do get three slightly wider double beds at 48" but slightly shorter at 6' 1".

All of these should be towable by any modern car that can have a towball.

Find more innuendo based information at
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] N.B. When Cazz says that she isn't strong enough to erect her 6 single handed this was a rare 6 without gas struts.

Read as much as you can on here, at a minimum:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You need to read more to ask more specific questions or we need to know more about your needs. If the be all and end all of your needs is ease and speed of erection then go get a clamshell type of camper there is no competition. Dandys score because they can be put away wet, are far warmer than canvas folding campers and are far more resilient and long lasting.

Price: As Dandys are so resilient they last There are perfectly serviceable ones of over 45 years of age, hence price varies. Depending on what you want Dandys vary from being given away with a base level of sales of £200 to £300 then a step to the best rear entry ones (o'er missus) at £800 to £1,600 then the last of the Riva Dandys with inbuilt fridges and toilets at up to £5,500 or £1,500 if you were lucky on eBay last week.
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Mon 29 Apr 2013, 9:05 pm

Hello and hi im new to all this and looking for advice 936075699 emmaoc

We think Mr Itch has got it covered so far. Smile If you have any questions fire away we will all do our best to answer you as best we can.
    emmaoc

Post by emmaoc Mon 29 Apr 2013, 9:20 pm

thanks for that, I must admit I haven't laughed so much for ages. im slightly taller than 4ft 10 well im 5ft. and emma isn't my weekend name lol. the camper would be for myself and my 2 children. I really don't want to go back to a tent and I thought a dany would be ideal for us as I don't have anywhere to dry out a trailer tent if or should I say when it gets wet. as long as the camper is big enough for us I would be quite happy with a small one!!!! my only worry was putting it up alone. thanks for the info I will start searching for one in the next couple of weeks x
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Mon 29 Apr 2013, 9:54 pm

What age are the children?

Even small hands can be very useful when you need someone to briefly support the end walls or stop the PVC flapping in a breeze, and kids love the sense of responsibility if they have a job to do to help set-up.

Good luck in your search.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Tue 30 Apr 2013, 11:27 pm

The next bit of advice is to try to see ones that you don't think you want to buy. I know it's a pain if there are none local it just helps you get a feel for what you want.
    The Dart or 4 might be a bit intimate for self and two kids, only 10" wider the Delta is more airy, the Designer/Discovery/5 might be seen as the ultimate as the kids won't get any smaller and if you buy well you could get over 20 years out of any Dandy.
    The awnings do add space and could be invaluable for a longer camp.
    The Lowside Designer or 6. I don't know what it is like to put up but it gives you a large space instantly without playing with awnings might be nice for you to look at. You never know what is possible till you try. You see the odd ones of these up for next to nothing.

Price. You never gave us any indication of what sort of level you are looking at but the things that add to cost are:
    Light Blue, the change of colours at the beginnings of the 90's tend to be a step in prices. Be it the preference of a lighter colour or what?
    Heaters. If you want to extend your camping season great. Though hardly an essential if you tend to camp with an EHU and can use a convector heater instead.
    Insulation. A factory fit insulation was offered. How much it insulates and how much it insulates and so preventing unsightly condensation on visible walls. Is a matter of conjecture. Between insulation and the heater I'd take the heater.
    Fitted electrical systems. Regard all electrical fits with suspicion. The leads for sale that terminate in a 3 way arrangement fitted with a RCD are adequate. If a full system is fitted check it out especially anything involving 12v and wired through the 12S plug.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 2:11 pm