Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+3
navver
Tow Itch
deirdre
7 posters

fixing up dandy :(

deirdre

fixing up dandy :( Empty fixing up dandy :(

Post by deirdre Thu 20 Jun 2013, 11:37 am

hi after putting up dandy again this weekend wev found quite a few more jobs to be done Sad  when we took off the cover there was water after getting in (explains rust stains on the pvc) on to settee side- bed board which has been replaced with a crap very light board that feels extremely flimsy , if you stood on this you would go thru, dnt know how this didnt happen when we were away in it , also kitchen unit has been botch fixed and is broken in places and flimsy unsteady, seetee cushions are missing so must replace (anyone have correct measurements ) also door was completely botched with screws sticking out thru it and painted over in white Sad and didnt fit propely in frame ( how come i can never see these things when i go to buy (story of my life) i could have knocked a bit of the price, seller kept going on about how they are making up to 2,000 on ebay, sure they are, but not in that condition Sad  we now have a good bit of work ahead of us but hopefully itl be worth it , pvc cover seems ok 1 or 2 repairs  done and quite stained and dirty in plccs but solvent cleaner should sort this i am told but sum ppl say only use jiff as the solvent cleaner can thin the pvc No , thanks for all advice greatly appreciated, be lost totally without the kind people on here [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]  
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

fixing up dandy :( Empty Re: fixing up dandy :(

Post by Tow Itch Thu 20 Jun 2013, 7:57 pm

Deirdre

Solvents can be used but first try cleaning as per: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Then see if any more is needed. Instead of a silicone polish I might substitute a full on silicone spray which is also useful to lubricate the zips. It will be functional after that and if you so wish we can look at other cleaners and polishes after.

With regards to the ply the bed should be sufficient but there is the world of difference between putting my fat lump of a body on it lying down and the most slender lass standing up. There is not much surface area on your feet so the pressure at that point is high. Mind you if the two bed boards are different then yes it's probably been substituted for something unsuitable.
     I'm also confused by what you mean by the settee side bed. On a Dart (4) it could mean the bed that is split into two foam pieces and has a support to angle the rear half to make a sofa. On a Discovery (5) you could mean the side with a single bed (come cupboard) that during the day becomes a sofa.     

also kitchen unit has been botch fixed and is broken in places and flimsy unsteady, 
     Well if it's broken it's broken but if the kitchen is pre mid 90's they are as thin as thin to begin with. The sides are only about 2mm it's just sufficient and it's how weight was saved.

Why don't you tell us a little bit more about what you have in terms of age and size and if you don't know properly try looking here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Send us some pictures especially of the things you think are wrong. We love pictures here. For security the forum providers don't let new members host photos for 7 days but if you send the pictures to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] we will host the pictures for you.

Beyond that if you tell us how you found out about Dandys. How you see yourselves using it or anything. We will try to help where we can and are always look forward to whatever you want to whittler on about.

All the best with your Dandy.
    navver

Post by navver Thu 20 Jun 2013, 8:52 pm

I met Deidre on UKcampsite and suggested she look here. Nice to see you again. The missing cushions are on the right hand double bed settee.
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Thu 20 Jun 2013, 10:35 pm

Hi deirdre and welcome Smile

You've come to the best place for sensible advice on getting your Dandy into shape. It might seem a bit daunting at first but you'll soon get to grips with it and nothing is particularly difficult to sort out.

Get some photos emailed to the address Tow Itch has given you, and you'll soon have more advice that you know what to do with.

On the subject of cleaning - were you talking about the trailer cover or the roof of the Dandy?

I wouldn't worry about using solvent cleaner on the trailer cover.

In fact I wouldn't worry about using it on the Dandy either if you have some stubborn stains to shift. I used it a couple of times in the past with no ill effects although I wouldn't recommend it for routine light cleaning where Cif is sufficient.

Looking forward to hearing more of your adventures.

Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Thu 20 Jun 2013, 11:00 pm

Hi and fixing up dandy :( 936075699  deirdre.

If you are handy at DIY there is nothing too difficult getting your Dandy sorted.
    Getting it how you want it and adding your own personal touches is all part of the fun.
    Once it's sorted you will get the Dandy grin. Very Happy
    Any questions on how to do things or where to get bits, just ask away.
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Fri 21 Jun 2013, 9:21 am

fixing up dandy :( 2702329197:crazydance:hi wow a new adventure don't look at it being a disappointment think of nursing her back to health and wow feel glamming up will be in order fixing up dandy :( 1710857839fixing up dandy :( 1710857839 I know it seems daunting but believe me Dandy's are easily put right and to modify with all the help on here fixing up dandy :( 2702329197fixing up dandy :( 2702329197
    deirdre

Post by deirdre Sun 23 Jun 2013, 10:43 pm

thanks caz , your dancing men are brill lol. got a lot of stuff done to dandy since mostly cosmetic but feel a lot better about it now, have read on other dandy forums and seen photos of major rebuilds, they look great and the people doing them are gifted but we (my husband ) are a bit challenged in that department hed go at it with the best will in the world and probably make it worse and id have to suck back the panic and say thats fab darling lol
    deirdre

Post by deirdre Sun 23 Jun 2013, 10:45 pm

and phoenix thats the line if your handy at diy lol the worst part is he actually thinks he is good at it it strikes fear in my heart when i see him get out the tools Shocked
    deirdre

Post by deirdre Sun 23 Jun 2013, 10:47 pm

will put up pics soon tow itch (have done a bit of beautifying dosent look so bad now ) and thanks
    navver

Post by navver Sun 23 Jun 2013, 11:30 pm

Well done, glad to hear you're getting sorted. It always seems worse than it really is at first till you get started. Look forward to your pics
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 24 Jun 2013, 8:16 am

Hope you are feeling better about it thought that we had lost you already:  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  You would want some time looking at a folding caravan. If you do decide to jump take a damp meter with you when you go to look.
    deirdre

Post by deirdre Mon 24 Jun 2013, 5:59 pm

have a damp meter and all from a disastrous relationship with a caravan , no am going to keep the dandy maybe get a better one come summer was thinking of getting a folding caravan (like the idea) but dont think my car would tow it and cant change cars at the mo
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 25 Jun 2013, 8:20 am

Hi Deirdre, 

I've been away for a while and am just going through posts, sorry to hear of your Dandy woe's but the good news is most things are easy to fix with Dandy's. You probably already know that by now though, I hope once you get your Dandy all fixed up it will provide you with lots of fun ......... so much you may just want to keep the one you have Smile Have you named it yet ? once they have names they're very difficult to part with Twisted Evil
    deirdre

Post by deirdre Tue 25 Jun 2013, 9:31 pm

thanks Helen we called it Delilah Razz wer going to keep it a while anyway my husband just may have a few bob in few months and offered 2 get me either a better one or a fc so wel c

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 11:54 am