Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

5 posters

Wheels (sorry, I know this has been done before)

kimmieto

Wheels (sorry, I know this has been done before) Empty Wheels (sorry, I know this has been done before)

Post by kimmieto Mon 01 Jul 2013, 4:15 pm

We keep our Dandy in Dad's garden.  Today we went round to move and open it for the first time in three years.  Ill health has not allowed for using it all this time. Its in very good nick inside, a book I left in there is in just off the shelf condition, considering the Dandy was only stored under its road cover.

Both tyres are rotten and split.  One of the wheels is very badly rusted too.  The tyres are 145SR10 radial tubeless.  The wheel rim has four holes in it.  Sorry its not very technical but we are not very good at this sort of thing. We always relied on a mechanic friend to work on these things but he is no longer here.

Assuming we can get the wheel nuts off!!!
    Are the wheels still available?
    Where is the best place for us to get replacement wheels? ie internet, Riva Leisure, trailer retailer,
    What sort of cost should it be?

Am going to get a caravan servicer to look at the running gear at some stage.

Advice would be much appreciated.
    navver

Wheels (sorry, I know this has been done before) Empty Re: Wheels (sorry, I know this has been done before)

Post by navver Mon 01 Jul 2013, 7:11 pm

I reckon it's the WT52 here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This may not be the cheapest so shop around if you want to.

The spec is:
    4 mounting holes for 3/8" stud/bolt
    4" PCD
    3.50J width
    23.4mm offset
    'BL Mini' size.
    145/80R10 69T 4 ply rated tyre.
    Max.Load: 325kg
    kimmieto

Wheels (sorry, I know this has been done before) Empty Re: Wheels (sorry, I know this has been done before)

Post by kimmieto Mon 01 Jul 2013, 7:13 pm

Thanks very much.

We have had our Dandy for a few years but never had to do this kind of 'sorting out' before.

Will make a note of the information and we can when ready to look have it to hand.

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 01 Jul 2013, 8:26 pm

Can't argue with navver on the tyres.
    For the wheels try looking round for anyone who does powder coating.
    Just a cheap job will be OK. Years ago I lived in Bradford and had some alloy motorcycle wheels cleaned and powder coated by Triple S in Bingley [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] It cost a fortune. To misquote triple S's advert you do want the company that will do garden chairs and kids toys.
    Just do a local Google search for powder coating. You want the wheels sandblasted and coated.
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Mon 01 Jul 2013, 10:30 pm

Our wheels which are 10" Mini wheels we had shot blasted and primed. We then sprayed them black.

They went from this:

To this:

Then this:

If you didn't want to go this far a good clean up with a wire brush and a coat of Hammerite would soon clean them up.

If yours are Mini wheels you could also put on hubcaps (make sure you get the right ones, you need ones to fit stub axles). You would end up with this then.Smile 

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 02 Jul 2013, 8:23 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

John painted ours off white and they match the Dandy, it was breezy when they were done and there wasn't any space in the garage to do them and we had new tyres on so spraying wasn't really an option but when we are replacing the tyres he will take them to work, give them a blast and then spray properly. The paint job has held really well
    kimmieto

Wheels (sorry, I know this has been done before) Empty Wheels/Tyres

Post by kimmieto Sat 06 Jul 2013, 10:18 pm

One thing we have not thought of is can we get the wheels off, especially the worst one???  Those pre blast shot ones are much better looking than ours.

Will try to remove them before we send for new wheels or get them poshed up and new tyres.

At the moment our Magic Mushroom is stuck in the middle of Dad's back lawn, opened up.  Giving it a good airing.  An excuse because its going to be so difficult to put it back on the hard standing with both wheels flat.  It took four of us to move it there.
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Sat 06 Jul 2013, 10:39 pm

Give the exposed thread a good rub with a wire brush and then give them dose of WD40. If you leave it to soak for a few days it should help when you come to undo the wheel nuts.Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 28 Apr 2024, 1:07 am