Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+3
jake001
navver
Tow Itch
7 posters

Mixing Up Awning Poles And Ear Plugs

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Mixing Up Awning Poles And Ear Plugs  Empty Mixing Up Awning Poles And Ear Plugs

Post by Tow Itch Mon 12 Aug 2013, 10:04 pm

I think I've got this the right way round I mixed up awning poles with ear plugs not the other way round. If I'd have done that it would have meant at best intense pain and at worst a head kebab.
    I put my awning up this weekend and for some reason the PVC looked a little skewed. Anyway I was told by Helen that I had my awning gable end poles the wrong way round. Very defensively I stated no. "It says in the instructions that the short pole is on the left. No said Helen the shorter pole corresponds to the narrower bed.
    The exact opposite of a "Light Bulb Moment" then occurred a very pronounced "D'------oh. I then apologised to Terry who I swore was wrong on this point and I now apologise to others who I have missdirected. What occurs on 6s or Destinys where the awning doesn't extend to the end of the bed???
    I was still quite insistent in my own mind that I had read instructions for the awning to have the shorter pole on the left. Read the instructions and no it was quite plain  the longer side goes to the left.
    At that point I realised I had transposed L for Longer in my head for the Left for "Bit LEFT out" that I had used for years on earplugs. I always bit a piece from one of a new set of earplugs to make sure that I didn't swap ears with the plugs.

Last edited by Tow Itch on Tue 03 Sep 2013, 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
    navver

Mixing Up Awning Poles And Ear Plugs  Empty Re: Mixing Up Awning Poles And Ear Plugs

Post by navver Tue 13 Aug 2013, 3:36 pm

Now who was it that helped you put the awning up and got it wrong? That's the thing I love about sailing, I can always blame the crew.

I think the six & destiny poles are both the same length. I expect you'd still get 'em round the wrong way though...

jake001
    jake001

Mixing Up Awning Poles And Ear Plugs  Empty Re: Mixing Up Awning Poles And Ear Plugs

Post by jake001 Tue 13 Aug 2013, 3:48 pm

I was only obeying orders Mixing Up Awning Poles And Ear Plugs  3208163979
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Tue 13 Aug 2013, 10:41 pm

I'm saying nothing ...

... because a picture can say all that is necessary Mixing Up Awning Poles And Ear Plugs  115684958 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Wed 14 Aug 2013, 12:50 am

peridot wrote:
    I'm saying nothing ...

... because a picture can say all that is necessary   Mixing Up Awning Poles And Ear Plugs  115684958 

quite right i'm colour coded also in the dandy as the left and right roof poles are different on mine anyway
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Wed 14 Aug 2013, 10:57 pm

Caz1960 wrote:
    peridot wrote:
    I'm saying nothing ...

... because a picture can say all that is necessary   Mixing Up Awning Poles And Ear Plugs  115684958 

quite right i'm colour coded also in the dandy as the left and right roof poles are different on mine anyway
    Caz

The poles in the Dandy are different as well as the ones in the awning?  Which ones tell us more?

peridot

No, quite a fervent no. Tape ads nothing to the process. Baring the two capped poles for the under bed windbreaks there are only two odd frame poles. All the other poles are self evident in their location. The mistake I made was one of mixing up the rule that I had applied from the instructions I had read. The simple idea of saying that the shorter pole goes with the shorter bed is enough to explain. If someone has a set of awning poles where the springs have gone, so there are countless poles of similar length. Then I'd appeal to them to buy new tethering springs. The use of tape makes nothing clearer. The original instructions just emphasise the difference of the 2 gable end posts.
    Of course if anyone really doesn't see how the poles relate and they need to apply tape. Then whatever works for you. I started this thread more as an apology for my misplaced confidence in how awnings should be erected and now I'm showing confidence in my corrected understanding.

Perhaps best to ignore me then.
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Wed 14 Aug 2013, 11:18 pm

Tow Itch wrote:

Perhaps best to ignore me then.
    I would never do that ... I have too much still to learn Smile 

I recalled you views on colour coding awning poles and allowed myself a gentle poke.

Personally, I think that colour coding can be a useful aid where necessary, although I have seen folk colour coding spring-coupled pairs scratch 

Anyway I'm planning on taking the plunge tomorrow and having a go at the big awning on the Destiny. The forecast for the Green Man festival looks fairly grim and we've been warned not to get the 'new' camper messy. (Mrs Peridot doesn't do music festivals, so it's just me and dear daughter). The awning will be a good dumping ground for all our muddy stuff and messy living arrangements for the four days.

I'll report back after the event although it may be a while as we've a family holiday planned immediately after the festival.

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Wed 14 Aug 2013, 11:23 pm

Dangerous. Festival with no time to clean up afterwards. Hope you get the awning sorted it may be your bedroom on the holiday.

The Newport gardening [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wasn't you sorting out festival supplies was it?
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Wed 14 Aug 2013, 11:46 pm

[quote="Tow Itch"]
    Caz1960 wrote:
    peridot wrote:
    I'm saying nothing ...

Caz

The poles in the Dandy are different as well as the ones in the awning?  Which ones tell us more?

sorry I worded that wrong I have put colour tape on the inside of the Dandy that marries up with the awning poles
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 15 Aug 2013, 9:53 am

We just have some red tape on the longer of the two front poles and on the centre middle corner thingy ........ the rest make no difference where they go
    The Admiral
    The Admiral

Post by The Admiral Thu 15 Aug 2013, 1:33 pm

Our awning poles had all been colour coded by a previous owner and we find it really useful.
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Fri 16 Aug 2013, 7:20 am

Tow Itch wrote:Dangerous. Festival with no time to clean up afterwards. Hope you get the awning sorted it may be your bedroom on the holiday.

The Newport gardening [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wasn't you sorting out festival supplies was it?
    Love it Smile Not me, I wouldn't know what to do with it ... honest guv Smile

We managed the awning okay. There's a couple of bits that don't seem quite right - I'll take pics and ask some questions when I'm back. The family holiday is not in the Dandy unfortunately Sad

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 27 Apr 2024, 12:13 am