Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+2
Helen
dantro
6 posters

Parts required

dantro
    dantro

Parts required Empty Parts required

Post by dantro Sun 17 Feb 2013, 8:30 pm

Well after our second time away in the Dandy there are a few things that need fixing/replacing. Does anyone know where I can get the extendable pole seen here [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] as the other one is the wrong pole.

New one of these poles as this one is bodged. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Flaps that go here as these ones are missing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Any idea how to fix these? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Parts required Empty Re: Parts required

Post by Helen Sun 17 Feb 2013, 9:06 pm

You could use this stuff to make the missing pvc sections ...... and in orange too Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

With these to fix in place, you'd have to check the size of studs needed as you could get away with not changing the ones on the actual Dandy, just the half that fits into it but they sell all sizes

In the first post do you mean the extendable u shaped pole ?
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 17 Feb 2013, 9:20 pm

You could get some fly screen stuff and cut out the old from the 'vent' then fix new in place from the inside with tenacious tape, if you've got an old small tent perhaps you could recycle some, they often have a bit on them.
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Sun 17 Feb 2013, 9:25 pm

You will be lucky to get new poles, you would be best to tidy up or repair the ones you have. A couple of our poles have had new ends put on.

Where you say the flaps are missing we think you will find they where part of the original ground sheet, so you would be best to make your own up as Helen said. Smile
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 17 Feb 2013, 9:30 pm

We've got an orange awning for the orange Dandy and haven't even seen how it fits yet, but I'll make sure it gets looked at soon as we don't know if it's got the skirt bits or not affraid all the poles are okay but we never thought to look at how the pvc fitted ..... just checked it didn't have damage.
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Sun 17 Feb 2013, 9:38 pm

We bought an awning for Phoenix off Ebay, but it wouldn't fit as we didn't have the flaps to fit it to. Here is a pic of how the ground sheet should have fitted. Hope this helps. Very Happy

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 17 Feb 2013, 9:54 pm

thanks for the picture, I only have to look at the groundsheet now Very Happy
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 17 Feb 2013, 9:56 pm

Those people do more than one weight of PVC.
    I'd try to check what weight Dandy used. The one you referred to does look a little embossed. When talking about an inner tent to insulate the Dandy the link for material did PVC as well. There may be quite a few PVC suppliers.

The internal extendible pole. Possibly daft question but do you know which bit is wrong? Is it the U section or the hinged bits at the bottom? Obviously they don't fit but I'd try not to presume x or y is wrong. Only place I can initially think of is Riva. Can't remember how close you are it you are. A courier would no doubt be a ball for the u section.

Better news on the poles for the awning. You could just tidy up the end brackets if the poles are alright. Conversely I think Ian will post you just the end brackets.

When you try to contact Riva phone don't email. Email is not always replied to. I'd also. suggest loading your phone with any necessary photos for clarity of explanation.

The missing bit of PVC is one large piece Just seen Phoenix's post my door piece wasn't part of the groundsheet. How do your press studs line up? The awning on the green un looks like the studs were lined up for a different unit but it all sorts of fits together.

Phoenix

Waiting to see how the glue trials work out and thinking of adding flaps to the Batwings for the awning?
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 17 Feb 2013, 10:05 pm

I agree there are lots of suppliers you can check for the correct grade of pvc, the link was simply an example of what is available out there to give some idea of how to sort out the missing skirt problem.
    dantro
    dantro

Post by dantro Sun 17 Feb 2013, 10:08 pm

Yeah the internal pole is completely wrong it seems that one has been adapted to fit, whereas the original extends up to height the one in place doesn't and has been bent in to make it fir widths ways. The bottom hinge part is correct though. I might be able to get one made up using the piece already there but wondered if I could get one already done.

Thanks for the tip on the vents and bits Helen and Phoenix do you still have the awning and maybe want to sell Wink
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Sun 17 Feb 2013, 10:12 pm

Tow Itch wrote:

Phoenix

Waiting to see how the glue trials work out and thinking of adding flaps to the Batwings for the awning?

No Mr Itch we sold the awning on. We wanted to keep Phoenix original. We did buy a Royal Traveller awning we were going to use, but then Dylan came along so Phoenix is just for short stop overs. Smile
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Sun 17 Feb 2013, 10:18 pm

dantro wrote:Yeah the internal pole is completely wrong it seems that one has been adapted to fit, whereas the original extends up to height the one in place doesn't and has been bent in to make it fir widths ways. The bottom hinge part is correct though. I might be able to get one made up using the piece already there but wondered if I could get one already done.

Thanks for the tip on the vents and bits Helen and Phoenix do you still have the awning and maybe want to sell Wink

Only one of the U frame extends the other is a solid U frame on ours, thats how they should be. Sorry we sold the awning about 18 months ago.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 17 Feb 2013, 10:29 pm

Phoenix wrote:
    dantro wrote:Yeah the internal pole is completely wrong it seems that one has been adapted to fit, whereas the original extends up to height the one in place doesn't and has been bent in to make it fir widths ways. The bottom hinge part is correct though. I might be able to get one made up using the piece already there but wondered if I could get one already done.

Only one of the U frame extends the other is a solid U frame on ours, thats how they should be. Sorry we sold the awning about 18 months ago.

Yes solid and sticks out the side slightly. I looked to check it was the RHS pole that does telescope. Why they didn't do the same with the LHS to avoid the lump in the cover is beyond me. Any ideas anyone?
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 17 Feb 2013, 11:04 pm

Helen wrote:I agree there are lots of suppliers you can check for the correct grade of pvc, the link was simply an example of what is available out there to give some idea of how to sort out the missing skirt problem.

I know you know Helen sorry if it looked short or rude. I am angry with myself that I didn't attach it to the useful links. In fact there isn't much on there must have 1/2 an hour with that.
    dantro
    dantro

Post by dantro Mon 18 Feb 2013, 12:07 am

Oh right, that does seem a bit strange, I think i'll try and change that as I don't think it's that good an idea. Will get some flaps fabricated too.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 18 Feb 2013, 6:31 am

dantro wrote:Oh right, that does seem a bit strange, I think i'll try and change that as I don't think it's that good an idea. Will get some flaps fabricated too.

What is a bit strange?
    Flaps manufactured for what?

Most of us use Velcro for the section of flap that runs beneath the door. This is the posh version with Deutz fastners.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

dantro
    dantro

Post by dantro Mon 18 Feb 2013, 9:04 am

bit strange why they didn't make the other u pole extendable as well. Don't like the way it sticks out the side of the trailer and why are they bent the way they are inside. Flaps? I mean the ones you have shown tow itch, never even thought of having them run the whole length but that makes perfect sense. Just need to find popper size so I can use the existing ones.
    hannah3dog

Parts required Empty Poles

Post by hannah3dog Mon 18 Feb 2013, 10:52 pm

You've just solved a problem I had - I thought mine was bodged too as only one pole is extendable! It stiil seems odd!!!
    dantro
    dantro

Post by dantro Tue 19 Feb 2013, 12:48 pm

Is yours bent too Hannah, about a foot in each side?
    hannah3dog

Parts required Empty poles

Post by hannah3dog Tue 19 Feb 2013, 2:11 pm

Dantro can't get at it at the moment but from memory I thought it had been retrofitted as its not vey good and seems to stick out of the trailer a bit when packed. I was going to make another from old frame tent poles(probably still will)
    mishabgt
    mishabgt

Post by mishabgt Thu 28 Feb 2013, 8:38 pm

Don't know whether you've already tried, but Ian at Riva Dandy Sales in Wigan may be able to sort you out the poles, etc. As he is the original Factory Foreman from when the Dandy's were built, if he can't provide a second hand, or fabricate a new one, he may be able to give information as to what you need to make your own?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 02 May 2024, 1:23 pm