Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

4 posters

Aussie Dealers for 'Dandy Camper Trailers?

popwinters

Aussie Dealers for 'Dandy Camper Trailers? Empty Aussie Dealers for 'Dandy Camper Trailers?

Post by popwinters Tue 24 Sep 2013, 8:38 am

Very Happy Hi everyone, I'm a new chum on the block.
    Saw on Utube to-day a vid of the uk, Dandy Camper Trailer. Must say I was impressed. I'm on the prowl at the moment for a nice lightweight camper trailer to tow behind my Mazda 3 hatchback car. Mfg specs set parameters of Max 950kg tow weight and 75kg max towball weight. I live in Goulburn, NSW, Aussie and need to know if there are any dealers nearby where I can go have a look see and check out things like price, after sales service etc.,
    Can anyone give me a steer and are there infact any Aussie dealers that I can contact?????

Thanks, regards and cheers....Kevin.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Aussie Dealers for 'Dandy Camper Trailers? Empty Re: Aussie Dealers for 'Dandy Camper Trailers?

Post by Tow Itch Tue 24 Sep 2013, 3:58 pm

Hello popwinters.

Having read the title of your post I thought I knew what the subject matter would be. how wrong I was.
    Dandy seems to have been a popular name in camper or RV sales. Every once in awhile a member will sport the Dandy RV dealerships in America [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] or the more local to you (hardly in your neighberhood though) Just Dandy Camper Trailers. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    These are taken as points of amusement but I never expected to see a question from an Australian asking about if Dandys are or were ever exported to Australia.

1) Dandys aren't been made new anymore so there couldn't be an active dealer.
    2) They were never made in massive numbers with the majority being for UK consumption though there was a dealership in the Netherlands. Hence one or two also crop up in France or Germany.
    3) I may misunderstand the nature of Australian topography but from the advertisements or features I've seen on Australian kit a Dandy is the last thing that you would want. I realise that you would be towing with a normal domestic hatchback but all the stuff I have seen from Australian features has much longer travel suspension and is built for towing over poor surfaces. I actually have little idea if you have a vast high quality highway system or if roads tend to turn poor a few miles out of urban areas. I realise ads and features can be deceptive. In British camping features manufacturers will boast how their petrol stove shaves seconds off boiling a pint of water. None of them talk about the much more useful feature of if they will simmer rather than just run like a rocket and burn stew to the bottom of your pan. I do understand some European caravans are imported but how well they cope I don't know.

For any features on suitable Australian campers can I suggest reading The Caravaners Forum (Do Australians spell Caravanners differently?) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I read this and use ideas frequently. I am embarrassed to say that the technical appreciation of posters looks much higher than similar British forums. Also Collyn Rivers has been known to post on there. Mr Rivers is one of the best sources of information I have found, especially his information on vehicle dynamics which he posts in a readable and understandable form.

Sorry that I say nothing more positive about your chances of finding a Dandy.

13/04/17 Sadly it appears that the USA and Australian links have bit the dust.

Last edited by Tow Itch on Thu 13 Apr 2017, 2:50 am; edited 1 time in total
    Retro
    Retro

Aussie Dealers for 'Dandy Camper Trailers? Empty Re: Aussie Dealers for 'Dandy Camper Trailers?

Post by Retro Tue 24 Sep 2013, 5:27 pm

By an odd coincidence, Mrs Retro and I were just discussing camping for a few days on the outskirts of Melbourne. We decided that, as we wouldn't have our Dandy, a hotel was the way to go.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Tue 24 Sep 2013, 7:44 pm

Retro wrote:By an odd coincidence, Mrs Retro and I were just discussing camping for a few days on the outskirts of Melbourne. We decided that, as we wouldn't have our Dandy, a hotel was the way to go.

Not wanting to foster disloyalty but the people below hire "Camping Trailers" and supplied two for this trip.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Tue 24 Sep 2013, 11:06 pm

Hi and welcome popwinters cheers 

Great to have some more international members on the forum.

I've been reading a few articles recently about the export of new and used UK built caravans to Aus so I've taken this to imply that there is a developed network of camping and caravanning locations accessible to those without 4WD tow vehicles and trailers built for the 'outback'?

I doubt that anyone has ever exported a Dandy that far. Just think, you could be the first bounce 

We could find the right one for you - you'd only have to stump up the shipping costs on top tongue 

Retro
    Retro

Post by Retro Tue 24 Sep 2013, 11:46 pm

peridot wrote:
    Hi and welcome popwinters cheers 

Great to have some more international members on the forum.

I've been reading a few articles recently about the export of new and used UK built caravans to Aus so I've taken this to imply that there is a developed network of camping and caravanning locations accessible to those without 4WD tow vehicles and trailers built for the 'outback'?
    I am am a member of a Chrysler forum and one of the Aussie members there maintains a photo blog of his caravan trips. He tows with a Chrysler 300C

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 10:57 am