Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

3 posters

dismantling the end of the torsion axle on our dandy designer trailer

Jam

dismantling the end of the torsion axle on our dandy designer trailer Empty dismantling the end of the torsion axle on our dandy designer trailer

Post by Jam Sat 05 Jul 2014, 10:50 am

Hello,
    I hope there is somebody out there that can help me!

It started with a flat tyre which was already quite a tricky size to find. That's now sorted and I have 2 wheels with new tyres to mount on the trailer. Very Happy 

One wheel is on ok but for the second, one of the 4 bolts turned with the nut.  Sad 

I managed to get the wheel off by tapping the nut but the bolt is still loose. I suppose I must access the inside of the Hub/end of torsion axle,  to see what the problem is? And there is the problem! I don't know how to get it off Question  I have unscrewed a long bolt from the back of the Hub but it won't come off easily! How exactly does it come off?
    I don't want to force and break something. I have photos but can't seem to attach them.

I would be greatful for any advice that anyone can give me!

ps I have sent some pictures to the email address dandycampers(at)live.com

Last edited by Jam on Sat 05 Jul 2014, 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : couldn't attach photos)
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

dismantling the end of the torsion axle on our dandy designer trailer Empty Re: dismantling the end of the torsion axle on our dandy designer trailer

Post by mike Sat 05 Jul 2014, 11:18 am

I will send you an email and you can send the pictures to me and i will post them for you if thats ok
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

dismantling the end of the torsion axle on our dandy designer trailer Empty Re: dismantling the end of the torsion axle on our dandy designer trailer

Post by mike Sat 05 Jul 2014, 1:28 pm

Pictures

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sat 05 Jul 2014, 1:31 pm

Have enlarged the second one

navver

Post by navver Sat 05 Jul 2014, 2:52 pm

Tap the centre cap and it will work its way off.
    Under the cap you'll find a castellated nut with a split pin in. remove the split pin, and unscrew the nut. It should not be tight.
    The hub will slide off easily along with the taper roller bearings.

The studs are simply pressed into the hub from inside . You may be able to get one from a caravan or trailer workshop or online.

To reassemble, grease the bearings (inspect and replace if necessary) and slide them on in the correct order. the one with thee oil seal goes on first then the hub then the outer bearing then the washer then the nut.

Tighten the nut with no more than finger pressure. Use a spanner or pliers and while turning the hub backwards and forwards tighten and loosen the nut several times, feeling for when there is no play and the hub revolves freely. Pop the split pin and and refit the cap. Job done.

The long bolt you unscrewed could be the brake adjuster.
    Jam

dismantling the end of the torsion axle on our dandy designer trailer Empty Thanks!

Post by Jam Sat 05 Jul 2014, 3:07 pm

Ah! Brilliant I'm going to give it a go!  Very Happy 

Thanks a lot for the detailed instructions. I will let you know how I do!
    Jam

dismantling the end of the torsion axle on our dandy designer trailer Empty Halfway there now!

Post by Jam Sat 05 Jul 2014, 4:54 pm

Hello Navver,

I managed to get the hub off at last!  Very Happy 

The split pin was tricky to pull out but with a bit of tapping and twisting it moved.
    I just need to track down a replacement stud now and get it all back together again (hopefully!) Then can look forward to our next camping trip !

You were right about the long bolt ! It was just aswell that I got the hub off, like that I could check it was properly back in place.

Thanks again for your help Very Happy 
    navver

Post by navver Sat 05 Jul 2014, 6:30 pm

This sort of thing but you do need to check its the right one. Measure the old to help but I wonder if it turned because its the wrong one.

Ring Ian at Riva dandy and he may be able to help.
    Jam

Post by Jam Sat 05 Jul 2014, 8:01 pm

Hello again Navver,

I clicked on the trailertek link and the stud really looks like the one on the site Ref: HUB111 3/8" UNF and its dimensions seem about right too.

The exposed threaded bit mesures 22mm long and is about 10mm wide. The head thickness on the inside of the hub is about 4mm and I have calculated that the hidden bit crossing the thickness of the hub is about 10mm. So about 3.5 cm which is probably 1 and 3/8 " imperial equivalent.

The wheel nuts Ref: HUB112 look the same as mine too.

I am not sure if the right stud was put in there but all 4 look the same and the other 3 seem ok. The other wheel hub has the same studs. Probably a call to Ian from Riva Dandy would be a good idea!

Thanks for all your help!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 9:54 am